OV-10 Bronco coming back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OV-10 Bronco coming back?

As I recall it could carry 4 litter patients and a medic, 8 paratroopers or 64 cases of Coors beer (back when it wasn't sold east of the Rockies we would bring some back on cross country flights).

As an aside, after thinking about my comments on the PT-6 that engine is used in the T-34C and T-6 so maybe they are modded somehow to provide instant throttle response but I don't think those used in KingAirs, etc would offer that.

Ron
    Ron Henning

Comment

Originally posted by Ron101502 View Post
      The fault with the engines (and where the PT-6 is probably better) is their tendency to overtemp, especially during battery starts and also hot weather takeoffs but hopefully newer engines will mitigate that.
      Most likely. A modern electronic engine control unit would take care of those issues.
      Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-28-2009, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Best book on OV-10 flying is "A Lonely Kind of War", I forget the author's name but he did a "Bernie Fisher", landing on a road to evacuate Marines in the cargo compartment while under fire, but instead of a CMH it was kept quiet because it happened in Cambodia when we weren't "supposed to be there". Great book by a great American.

Ron
        Ron Henning

Comment

Depends on mission requirements.
          If high tech observation, directing fire, (FLIR or LANTRN), light arms, troop carry, short field ops, OV-10, would seem best.
          If low tech, ground support, heavy hauler, Skyraider with PT6 Twin Pac to one prop, and shut one engine down for fuel savings in cruise/loiter, would seem best.
          Updated pylons designed to carry 6 weapons, like modern jets have, would enhance number of weapons available for both airplanes.
          Both are now Boeing.

Comment

I'd always been disturbed by reports of the ATF acquiring Broncos, like a motorcycle gang acquiring a Minigun.

The link below says the ATF (and the State Department [?!]) -- used the a/c "... in Anti-drug operations ..." Wouldn't that be the DEA's bailiwick?

http://www.ov-10bronco.net/us-state-batf.cfm

$
            Last edited by split-s; 09-29-2009, 01:26 PM. Reason: link didn't show
            "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
            Martin Caidin

Comment

and I say...

---go BATF --- put guns on them and knock down drug dealers

Comment

The USAF OV-10As all have four M-60 machine guns in the sponsons,

Ron
                Ron Henning

Comment

Man those things are ugly! I'd love to see em up close!

Comment

Working...
                  X