What happened to Rare Bear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What happened to Rare Bear?

Thanks, John. Always a pleasure to watch Rare Bear made more so when us "Air Geeks" can get the straight skinny from you. Here's to 2010!
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

"We're racers and finishing second, well, sucks!" Yeah, that's what I'm talking about!! Thanks JP for being so candid. It renews my faith in the RB team! 477 is awesome considering the facts. Testing??? Will the Bear go up in the air well before next Sept. to test all systems and mods so that bugs and glitches can be addressed with enough time to solve? I'm afraid to speculate but, the way things look right now, 2010 could be the best year ever for the Unlimited Gold's.

Comment

JP told us he didn't use ADI but held it in reserve in case the boil off system failed. I'm confused! I thought ADI was used to control heat in the cylinder head to prevent pre detonation? How is it related to the boil off system which I thought controlled oil temps.?

Comment

The ADI fluid is the same as what is used in the boiler. With a limited capacity it makes sense that they did not use any for ADI while they were testing the new boil-off system. If they somehow used more boiler fluid than planned, they may have ran out if they were also supplying ADI...

Comment

Thanks so much BearDriver! That is what I've been waiting for. I've relished reading your reviews after the races are over because of the candidness and facts you present. Nothing better than from the horse's mouth - or jockey in this case. Your time and information is greatly appreciated.

Tommy

Comment

I stand corrected on my previous statement above after just spending the last hour on the phone with Dave Cornell with regards to the Bears engine. As correctly pointed out earlier a -95 power section was used, but I had incorrectly stated that it had Dave modded supercharger installed....... it did not, I was wrong, sorry for the miss info. Dave said it was a stock -26 blower which as he explained has a way of self limiting the amount of boost it can produce.... 63-64'' is what they got.

This makes the speed they ran even more impressive. Very clean airplane and will be very formidable next year. I'll let John list numbers if he wants as it's team info and not my business to divulge. But suffice it to say, they had her at about 3/4 throttle.

Bruce

Comment

John,
                Thank you so much for your input. I didn't have time to make it down to your hangar to talk to the crew this year. GO BEAR!! Keep us updated with your progress towards next year. That airframe is scary fast and I can't believe how she's gonna run with a BUILT motor.
                Good luck with it all,
                Dustin Dwyer
                My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

John, Thanks for the info, very informative. Rad from KPAE

Comment

Originally posted by bruce lockwood View Post
                    I stand corrected on my previous statement above after just spending the last hour on the phone with Dave Cornell with regards to the Bears engine. As correctly pointed out earlier a -95 power section was used, but I had incorrectly stated that it had Dave modded supercharger installed....... it did not, I was wrong, sorry for the miss info. Dave said it was a stock -26 blower which as he explained has a way of self limiting the amount of boost it can produce.... 63-64'' is what they got.

This makes the speed they ran even more impressive. Very clean airplane and will be very formidable next year. I'll let John list numbers if he wants as it's team info and not my business to divulge. But suffice it to say, they had her at about 3/4 throttle.

Bruce
                    OH SNAP!
                    Last edited by BJH; 09-24-2009, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post
                      Thank you for clearing things up!

What was the horsepower output this year compared to a race engine?

Jarrod
                      I think you'd have to put both motors on a dyno and compare to answer that question accurately, and that would take a bucket of money that may not be available.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                        I think you'd have to put both motors on a dyno and compare to answer that question accurately, and that would take a bucket of money that may not be available.
                        Actually, on a radial, one can get a pretty reasonable estimate of HP from several parameters on the engine that are available in the cockpit.

HP = (RPM x torque pressure)/factor

If I remember correctly, the factor for a slow nosecase engine is 201

(3000 rpm x 220 torque)/201 = ~3300 HP

Michael

Comment

So what exactly is a boil off system........Is it used in conjuction with ADI or instead of? Thanks for the info.
                          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
                            Actually, on a radial, one can get a pretty reasonable estimate of HP from several parameters on the engine that are available in the cockpit.

HP = (RPM x torque pressure)/factor

If I remember correctly, the factor for a slow nosecase engine is 201

(3000 rpm x 220 torque)/201 = ~3300 HP

Michael
                            Interesting. Thanks for that info Mluvara.

Comment

So what exactly is a boil off system........Is it used in conjuction with ADI or instead of? Thanks for the info.
                              Brian

A boil off system uses a finite amount of water to cool the engine. In a traditional system water is sent to the engine, then to the radiator to be cooled and then sent back to the engine. In a boil off system the water is sent to the engine and then evacuated from the aircraft as steam as it "boils off" this allows the plane to not have to use a radiator to cool the water thus reducing drag by not having induction scoops to force air through the radiator.

A.D.I. systems use a spraybar to spray liquid to cool the air going into the intake manifold. Cooler air allows for more horsepower to put it simply.
                              Last edited by flyingjibus; 09-24-2009, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post
                                Thank you for clearing things up!

What was the horsepower output this year compared to a race engine?

Jarrod
                                Less.

Comment

Working...
                                X