I saw a Ghost!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I saw a Ghost!

Hey Split, yes your eyes are correct the scoop has been removed from the ghost, she has a boil off system ala Stiletto.... none of the big radiators on the wingtips like the beguine had
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

And Beguine's issue was not the lack of a scoop or the pods, but the inexperience of the pilot in high performance single engine aircraft and pylon racing. That will not be a problem for Galloping Ghost.
      Last edited by W J Pearce; 09-23-2009, 08:02 PM.
      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
      Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
        And Beguine's issue was not the lack of a scoop or the pods, but the inexperience of the pilot in high performance single engine aircraft and pylon racing. That will not be a problem for Galloping Ghost.
        True enough, where Odom's lack of skill was concerned, but Beguine shared a liability with the late, lamented Tsunami: The grafting of those wingtip pods resulted in abbreviated ailerons, which contributed to a rate of roll that was easy to overcontrol.

It wasn't just a torque roll that killed Beguine.

$
        "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
        Martin Caidin

Comment

All Mustangs with clipped wings have abbreviated ailerons. Tsunami's issue was an asymmetric flap deployment which caused the roll over. Instead of a linkage that connected both flaps, she had separate actuators for each side. One wasn't deploying correctly, which Skip knew about and told John not to fly with. We know the unfortunate result.

Stiletto, Beguine, and Anson Johnson's Race 45 all flew fine without the scoop. I'm sure the Ghost will too.

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
            Maybe thats your new ride for next year?
            I wish!!!

Comment

Originally posted by invader696 View Post
              All Mustangs with clipped wings have abbreviated ailerons.

Ryan

This is true, but none of the other aircraft had the extra weight/mass and drag of said pods mounted way out at the wingtips, where they would have the most (negative) effect. Therefore, I believe that Beguine would have been a little more sluggish in roll control.

I really liked Stiletto's layout, and felt it had much potential that was never reached before it went back to stock. Looking forward to seeing what the Ghost will show us. Like Stiletto, it may take years to get right, or like Dago it may get out there and kick arse the first time out.

2010 is gonna be interesting indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by invader696 View Post
                All Mustangs with clipped wings have abbreviated ailerons. Tsunami's issue was an asymmetric flap deployment which caused the roll over. Instead of a linkage that connected both flaps, she had separate actuators for each side. One wasn't deploying correctly, which Skip knew about and told John not to fly with. We know the unfortunate result.

Stiletto, Beguine, and Anson Johnson's Race 45 all flew fine without the scoop. I'm sure the Ghost will too.

Ryan
                I stand corrected.

$
                "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
                Martin Caidin

Comment

Working...
                X