An Open Letter to the Air Race Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An Open Letter to the Air Race Fan

Put the Blues back at Reno. That was...asinine. Frank Kingston Smith, you suck. Thanks for the bitchin' parking spot RARA. I'll be turning in my Air Race plate when I renew my registration.

I can't really argue any of these posts. Very well stated by a good number of posters. That's one thing I love about this sport, the people. I met and talked to so many just flat out happy people in my nine days on the ramp (and in the dirt). Everyone there is on vacation and wouldn't want to be anywhere else at that moment. Makes for one hellva good time. Thanks to Lynne over at the media booth for the lift, that was awesome. Thanks to Tiger, the Kid, Smooter, B. Button, Kerch, Mr. Law for letting a couple of old fenceliner kids hang out in the shade and talk shop. Thanks to all the other crews I didn't talk to for comin' out and puttin' on one hell of a show. Way to go Kevin. You didn't seem to confident in Relentless on Tuesday. Good show man!
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al
      Good to see you too, Wayne!

The true beauty of this place is that we the fans get the opportunity to interact with those who make the big show happen, be it pilots, crew members, or media folks. I can't think of another world-class sport that has such "fan intimacy." Thanks again!!
      Bigger Al, you just hit the nail on the head with those words! This year I made a point of asking where people were from if I noticed an accent. I spoke with people from Holland, England, Sweden and Germany, and after "overwhelming" the thing they all mentioned was how accessible the planes, pilots and crew were.
      Yes, there are parts of the event I don't particularly care about, but I use those parts of the day to wander around the pits or tour the static display area. A big thank to all of the military in attendance for answering the publics questions- where else do you get the opportunity to see how they are trained and equipped to do their job.
      I miss those performers that are no longer with us but I appreciate people like Howard Pardue, the Sanders, Al Goss, Nick Macy and all the others that come back year after year.
      Twas another great year, and thanks Wayne, Linda, Betty, Naomi, Lonnie, Dave, Rachel, Dave, Kevin, Eric, Al, Bob, Steve, Phil and anyone I've missed for helping make it so memorable for me
      Russ
      Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Hmm....I thoroughly enjoyed the Blue Angels grand performance. I've seen them a hundred times and can't get enough. I like the fact that they started and ended their show at Stead. My guess is that most at the show felt the same. I'm an older guy, but still enjoyed most of their music.

The Races were fun to watch, though we missed most of the formula 1 and biplane races.

The announcers definitely talk way too much, especially when most of us want to listen to the sounds of the racers going by the start/finish pylon. Really annoying. Cut it down by about 50% and everyone will be happier. And yes, they are probably great guys, but enough!

We've been to the races for 26 years, and wouldn't miss them. RARA does a nice job of getting performers and coordinating the entire event.

Just my take.

Comment

Nobody mentioned the fat albert performance. You should see it from Gate 5 when they take off heading west. Looking thru my binoculars, it looked like he was going to hit me in the face! 45 degrees take off angle! That was off the hook! One of the blues snuck up on us while we were fixated on the diamond formation. Darn near gave all of us a heart attack when he flew right over our heads.

Fenceliner, nice to meet you over in the dirt.

Comment

Bottom Line.......

Looking at my changed subject... Bottom line, acts like the Tbirds, the Blues, RoboSouras.. etc, etc, etc.. make the "bottom line" for an airshow...

We like air racing, all WE want to see is MORE air racing. But, let's take a deep breath and give a HUGE pat on the back to RARA for knowing what it takes to keep this thing going.. what are we at now.. how many years.. is it actually something over forty some years now of continuous racing (save for 2001)....

Someone/something is doing something right!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The Blues were fine with me. More time to hang out in the pits without thinking I missed anything.

Comment

Did anybody else notice that during Fat Albert's JATO take off that only a couple of them fired off? Didn't look nearely as high performance as I have seen in the past. I did hear them mention that the JATO boosters are getting pretty scarce and that is why they only did it on Sunday. I wonder if there was a malfunction or they only used a couple. Looking at my pictures it looked like only two fired off.
                My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

One opinion;

The fed is the underlying problem at Reno now, they were crawling all over the place looking for reasons to show their credentials. FAA and NTSB bureaucrats from DC were on-site, we'll find out the outcome of their presence later. RARA is reacting to the economic realities and a too large, governmental agency that believes we fly only at their whim.

Most of those I spoke with believes that the pylon racing is now a side show to the military demo teams and repeated demonstrations of precision competition style aerobatics in Extra's. Two hours out of the daily schedule is provided to the Blangel's, you could fly three heat races in that time.

Comment

Originally posted by R080 View Post

....The announcers definitely talk way too much, especially when most of us want to listen to the sounds of the racers going by the start/finish pylon. Really annoying. Cut it down by about 50% and everyone will be happier. And yes, they are probably great guys, but enough!

I found it just the opposite. Stuck at home listening to audio only, I found that they weren't describing enough to really enjoy the races from here all that much...Too much dead air.

They did seem to clam-up for the most part when the leaders passed the home pylon though.

Comment

Why was there not a heritage flight this year?

Comment

Your right about bottom line Wayne. It was truly a sight to see the stands and ramp empty after the Blues show. Any of the high profile acts bring in the crowds. I like them, watched them every day, and did'nt mind the ground show. Any of them, the Blues, Tbirds or Snowbirds are in the way when parked if you are sitting on the ramp BUT it has always been that way so tough nuggies to me! The only issue I had with them was the volume and quality of their sound system. After Friday I wore earplugs for the show as it was actually painful. I guess there was a need to get the sound back to the grandstands though. If you are gonna play it LOUD then have decent speakers that dont cracle and squeal with the overload. I also hope someone does another Navy movie soon so we can retire the "Top Gun" music...
                        I too miss the warbird acts such as the smokewinders, the mustang and corsair aerobatics, and am tired of Xtra's doing flip flops. But if that is what it takes to bring in the numbers so be it.
                        For those that don't come early, you miss the best part. We enter at 7 and are ready for the bipes and formula's when they start at 8, some of the best racing of the day!
                        I won't turn in my air race plate BUT I have already sent a letter to RARA. I don't know why they changed it. I spent over an hour Wednesday morning chasing it down as nobody knew anything. Finally got on the phone with "Betty" who I was told was in charge, and she assured me it was lot 7 like always. Thursday I was turned away and had to go from lot to lot as they did not know where we were supposed to park. Found it but a little organization would go a long way!
                        Still looking forward to next year!!
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

In the photos that I have of the JATO takeoff, all eight are firing. I'll post some in another thread.
                          TomL

Originally posted by DWYER View Post
                          Did anybody else notice that during Fat Albert's JATO take off that only a couple of them fired off? Didn't look nearely as high performance as I have seen in the past. I did hear them mention that the JATO boosters are getting pretty scarce and that is why they only did it on Sunday. I wonder if there was a malfunction or they only used a couple. Looking at my pictures it looked like only two fired off.

Comment

I wasn't at Reno this year but I have to say I was disappointed to see they were invited back. The last time they were at Reno they were being booed by the end of the event. They are too long and the beginning of their show is painfully slow.

I used to love the Blue Angels but these days I have to say I think there are much better jet demonstration teams.

I'm shocked to hear the pits are now closed during the qualifying. I thought last year they were closed the last day of qualifying which I was sad to see.

I think there is a hole in potential airshow acts left with Bob Hoover no longer performing and there is nothing like the dueling Wacos anymore :-( and what could we ever have like the amazing GeeBee we used to see.

As for military fly overs, they have been on a steady decline for some time, I hope if the various military commitments eventually are resolved we might see those return. It was always fun to expect C5-As, B-52, B-1s, U-2s and whatever other random thing the military might have to do fly overs. It really added to the fun.

Well, only time will tell what the Reno of the future will bring,

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Maybe given I am just a fan who has been going since i was eight I have a different outlook on things, not to mention the pretty girl i met and got to hang out with all week talking planes, but I really do not see the issue here. Are there things wrong, yes, do most of the people who go out there know a thing about racing? No (point in case was i heard one person say it is cool they have clear covers on Strega so we can see the engine, yes the cowlings were off at the time). That said, I can tolorate alot of things as long as it keeps racing going at Reno now and forever.

The crews and pilots were as friendly as ever, always taking the time to talk to me and my kids, letting us borrow shade under a wing. The racing was amazing, from the first race of the day until the last, and the Reno after hours was as good as ever. In my ten days out there i saw Stevo shock the world, the Bear going 480 with a stock engine(cannot wait until next year) Sparky doing a runup test on the tarmac strapped to a crane to keep her on the ground, and many other things to numerous to post.

Bottom line in my opinion, yes there are things i miss, yes things could be better, but at the end of the day this is the only place in the world to see Unlimited flying, and as long as that is there count me in.

Comment

I had a great time and hope Russ got his tickets in time. I like the racing the very best but love the whole deal. In fact my wife said I have been in such a good mood she wishes the Races were three or four times a year.
                                I gave away alot of sketches and also had a great time doing that. Thanks, KC

Comment

Working...
                                X