X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What year?

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
    I say Tuesday, 2005.

Sept Pops is painted yellow which 2005 was the debut of that (2004 she was blue). The hangars to the north of American Air Racing are not there which they were in 2007. That leaves us with either 2005 or 2006. But the old "house" to the north of American Air Racing (under the tree) is there and it was gone the year before the new hangars (2006). All lead me to conclude it was 2005.

Also, I believe Crusader is on the ramp, the most west Unlim. Crusader did not race in 2006.

As for the day, given the relative emptiness of the pits and that the Unlimiteds are out with Spirit of Texas in the pit "lane", I'd say it is the 1st Unlim qualifying session. This also matches that the shadows are on the west side of the buildings which would mean the sun is still in the eastern half of the sky. Since Hoppy's motor-home is there, and I don't think he would be their early enough for the 1st Monday session, I say it is Tuesday.

I guess you've nailed it down !
    In 05 I had a silver rental also, same place as usual.

Comment

I'm also thinking 2005?
      I can't remember the year exactly, but it was the year not too long ago the ME109 was there.
      I believe that is the ME109 two planes directly west of VooDoo.

Comment

If it is down between 2005 and 2006, it is 2005 then. Mary and "Two of Hearts" did not participate in the 2006 Races.

If Kindsvaters HA1112 is in the picture I believe that was 2004. Both Wayne and W.J. Pearce were nice enough to send me a couple pictures of it, both copyright dated 2004. I actually had the opportunity to work with Harold for a couple months with the restoration while I was in A&P school. Looked forward to working there every day that summer

Warren

Comment

Originally posted by Race 22 Crew View Post
          If Kindsvaters HA1112 is in the picture I believe that was 2004. Both Wayne and W.J. Pearce were nice enough to send me a couple pictures of it, both copyright dated 2004.
          Hummn... only problem with that is, '04 was the year I was too sick to get down there.. I truly was there in spirit tho... I have always been impressed with the painting DB Mueller did of the trophy ceremony.. there's a guy in the foreground shooting.. Dave did this from a photo, but everyone who's looked at it swears that it has to be me wearing my "signature" photo vest with my red MAII jacket underneath.. Oh yea.. even the second camera hanging on my shoulder has the same blue and black elastic strap I used to use.... spooky!

Gives me chills.. You have no idea of how both how badly I felt that day (second to last day of my treatment and I was LOW) and how badly I wanted to be there.. . Good friend Bob Avery (of World of Wings/Aviation Nation) got me on the phone for the last few laps and told me the Bear had taken second... I was thrilled. She'd be in it again next year with second place money...

Bout 10 minutes later, Griffon Girl called me and told me that Skip had cut and that Bear won!!! Called Stacy Thomas to congratulate him... turns out, he was in his car, had to leave early to catch a flight from SFO.. I think he dang near turned around and headed back he was so excited! He'd left, thinking they'd gotten second and it was a win..

Sooooo.. if I was sending folks shots from there in September.. maaaaayyyybbbeeee I really was there.....

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

That is a cool painting of the trophy ceremony...
            Hmmmmm... Wayne... years ago (when i was 16-17yrs old) i wrote and emailed Bob Avery an report from warbirds over wanaka im not sure if it ever made World of Wings or not.. but i was also lucky enough to corespond with him about Miss A in the process got one of the really cool Tyvek team Miss A jackets, a Ball cap and T-shirt.... still have them all a decade + later and proud to say that the jacket is still in mint condition and fits!!!) The cap is my airshow/golf hat and the T-shirt gets worn as much as possible
            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Prolly dragging this but what to heck... Sad to see that lt does not look like Bob will be involved with doing the Nellis show any longer.. he really was dedicated to making that a world class event..

Also wish he could have been successful with the Las Vegas Air Racing that he was promoting before moving on to the Aviation Nation thing..

Cool that we all have memories, however much of a "dud" some might have thought it was, the "pilot" that we shot for World of Wings in 2000, will always remain one of the most unusual things I've ever done in my lifetime!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
              X