Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: September Fury?

Originally posted by race9 View Post
    Yea, it's currently getting ready for Reno this year in Texas.
    Is that the one that's still at the bottom of the ocean...
    Last edited by Victor Archer; 08-10-2009, 08:43 PM. Reason: I'll get this quote **** figured out yet... just you see...
    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk View Post
      I heard the same thing about 232's speed. A quote from an Unlimited Gold winning crew chief, "If you want to slow a Sea Fury down, clip it's wings." If you compare speeds from the year before they flew with the shorter wings, it's faster.
      I think the shorter wings were just the er, tip, of the problem.

Comment

Funny though, I am a pit rat, will talk to anyone and everyone and they all said the same thing, clipped wings meant less speed for 232. Now I am just a finance guy, but where there is smoke there is usually fire.........

You know how we can solve this....two options...each of us chip in a few thousand bucks and buy the plane, then make it the people's choice and get her in the air....or my retirement plan could also work, hit the lotto and put my feet up on my bosses desk and tell him the new Fury motto..."fear the Fury"

A man can dream.

Comment

I dont care if it was slower with the clipped wings. It looked a LOT faster.

Comment

As my Dad would always say as he saw #232 in the pits: "If paint could fly..."

Luckily, September Fury has always been as fast as her paint.

Comment

Why not just put a short wing on the left and a long wing on the right and fly level... if it makes a lap at Reno, there is your answer.
              Tom Johnson,
              Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
              www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

I was under the impression that it was "those" clipped wings more than newly clipped ones.

Comment

From the looks of it at the other site, 232's engine is sitting in Rare Bears hanger, but it ain't in a plane.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams View Post
                    From the looks of it at the other site, 232's engine is sitting in Rare Bears hanger, but it ain't in a plane.
                    Do you mean the engine that's sitting off the right wing on the trailer?

LP

Comment

People who know what 232's enigine looks like, seem to think that it is indeed 232's engine. Nobody of course knows for sure.

Comment

Please forgive me, but I just have to do this...

LMAO

I just couldn't help myself.

And while I don't know squat...this has been fun to follow.

I do believe that the engine in the hanger next to the Bear on the trailer...is the over cooked engine of 2006. I could be wrong...if there is a way to positively identify it, let me know and I'll go by and take a closer look.

LP

Comment

If I remember correctly, 232's engine is/was a Turbo Compound R-3350 and therefor had the Power Recovery Turbine section between the rear row of cylinders and the supercharger/accessories. Since 232 did not use the PRTs there should be three covers over where the PRTs would go, radially and equally spaced in that "extra section" of about 12 inches long (a guess on the length). I think the PRTs would mount at 3 o'clock, 7 o'clock, and 11 o'clock from the pilot's perspective.

This is also the reason why 232's engine will not bolt on to Rare Bear.

I'm no expert and the above may not be 100% accurate.
                          Last edited by W J Pearce; 08-12-2009, 08:52 AM.
                          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Do you mean the engine that's sitting off the right wing on the trailer?

LP
                            No, the one on the floor, my mistake, it's not on a stand.

Comment

Please forgive me, but I just have to do this...

LMAO

I just couldn't help myself.

LP
                              I believe T.Adams was referring to the engine on the ground, which is most definitely off of 232. From the gold rocker covers and funky baffle putty, you can infer that the engine on the trailer is the one that melted down in '06.

Comment

About the clipped wings,

There are only one pair of clipped outer panels for all three airplanes that ever flew clipped outer panels. They came from Mike Carroll's yellow flame job ship that were modified in 1965/'66 at Long Beach, bought by Sherman Cooper after Mike's death. Sherm wrecked it at Mojave in an off airport landing after an engine failure and the panels were damaged. After Sherm's death in a Pitts Special, Frank Sanders bought Sherm's two Furies and later sold the one to Getch, the Carroll airplane to Jim Mott. Frank retained all of the racing stuff. After a year or two of Dreadnought, Frank, Dennis and Brian embarked on a scheme to make a Dread-like super racer with clipped wings and single low-profile canopy, etc by transfering all of the 4360 stuff out of Dread. They did not procede past a certain point, and about that time the Levolor project was going and they traded panels with them and that airplane became Critical Mass. When the Dwelle's quit racing Crit, they traded the panels to the Sanders where the clipped ones went to Brown for 232 and the panels they got were from the Furias team from Lloyd Hamilton's stuff.
                                N898M Signal Sea Fury/Miss Merced, Blind Man's Bluff/Critical Mass, and N232J September Fury all have had the same panels on them.

Just in case anyone doesn't know that story...

Comment

Working...
                                X