Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: that didnt take long

Originally posted by sledge39 View Post
    ...Supe started working on Cummins airplane and started AeroSport with four partners in the early '60s...

...in this 1970 pic AeroSports Dudley Hutchins (left), Jerry Morrison (blue coveralls in hanger), Supe (seated on wing), and Dick Hairston (with the SAE 70 Pennzoil)...

...Dave Zeushel (in cockpit) did the engine...

...Wo!..how did this thread get from Dago Red to Miss Candace...?
    I don't know but that's one bitchin' shot. Two racing icons maybe? speaking of icons, i sure miss the Z-man.................
    "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Re: Dago Red has a new owner

Can anyone name any of the 51's in the hanger?

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub View Post
        Can anyone name any of the 51's in the hanger?
        ...at left (yellow & brown) Tallichets N3333E...

...at right (red & black) Les Grant's N5436V...

...behind Grant (nat. metal) Dr. Ernie Beehler's N6340T...

...plus a few more not visible...

Comment

sledge39 quote: "...Wo!..how did this thread get from Dago Red to Miss Candace...?"

Easy answer: Via Justin 'Supe' Hoisington & California Aero-Sport, Inc. - Chino, Ca.

Another GREAT classic photo there, Sledge! Thanks for posting it!

Now back to... 'The Birth of Dago Red' - thanks to Frank Taylor & Bill 'Tiger' Destefani (& their multi-talented project team crew members), w/three pre-Reno '82 debut photos (including pilot Ron Hevle's test flight) - from Race #4's first press kit, assembled by noted aviation historian - Bob Kennedy... ENJOY!

DBD
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BuckyD; 05-27-2009, 09:31 PM.

Comment

So at Reno I was always told "Tiger built Dago before Strega." Obviously there's always much more to the story but would someone mind spelling it out for me (the public version) in 30 seconds or less? I don't need the whole story but I also want to get my facts straight. Thx.
            _________
            -Matt
            Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell View Post
              So at Reno I was always told \"Tiger built Dago before Strega.\" Obviously there\'s always much more to the story but would someone mind spelling it out for me (the public version) in 30 seconds or less? I don\'t need the whole story but I also want to get my facts straight. Thx.

After Reno 1981 Frank Taylor and Tiger entered a partnership. Frank supplied the finances and manpower, Tiger supplied the airframe...with the intention of \'winning\' at Reno the following year. Construction was done at Aero Sport at Chino and the plane was literally still \'wet\' from the paint when it flew to Reno...and through a combination of events, won it\'s first time out.

After Reno, Frank Taylor \'bought out\' Tiger\'s share of the team and started Frank Taylor Racing out of Rudolphs Flying Circus/Aero Sport. Tiger used the money to finance the building of Strega for 1983.

Comment

And the airframe, or at least it's identity, was one that crashed at Buchanan Field in California years before. Pictures of the remains show it pretty beat up! Anyone know if this the same airframe rebuilt or just it's data plate? I have seen worse fly again.
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

...at left (yellow & brown) Tallichets N3333E...

...at right (red & black) Les Grant's N5436V...

...behind Grant (nat. metal) Dr. Ernie Beehler's N6340T...

...plus a few more not visible...
                  Thanks Sledge!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
                    sledge39 quote: "...Wo!..how did this thread get from Dago Red to Miss Candace...?"

Easy answer: Via Justin 'Supe' Hoisington & California Aero-Sport, Inc. - Chino, Ca.

Another GREAT classic photo there, Sledge! Thanks for posting it!

Now back to... 'The Birth of Dago Red' - thanks to Frank Taylor & Bill 'Tiger' Destefani (& their multi-talented project team crew members), w/three pre-Reno '82 debut photos (including pilot Ron Hevle's test flight) - from Race #4's first press kit, assembled by noted aviation historian - Bob Kennedy... ENJOY!

DBD
                    In that last inflight shot the Super Corsair is in the background trailing Dago. Cool shot.........

Comment

Thanks Big Jim.
                      _________
                      -Matt
                      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Re: that didnt take long

...Supe started working on Cummins airplane and started AeroSport with four partners in the early '60s...

...in this 1970 pic AeroSports Dudley Hutchins (left), Jerry Morrison (blue coveralls in hanger), Supe (seated on wing), and Dick Hairston (with the SAE 70 Pennzoil)...

...Dave Zeushel (in cockpit) did the engine...

...Wo!..how did this thread get from Dago Red to Miss Candace...?
                        What a great derail sledge, i remember those days well, back when you could see nothing but four bladers in Aerosport i dont remember the xact date, but "Stump Jumper" was there this day also, i remember Les getting on the wing, and wiping the gravel off his boots, he was known for his low flying antics over the Santa Barbara area back then, thanks for the shot of the sexiest racer ever

Last edited by sierra fox; 05-28-2009, 06:59 PM.
                        "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

...this is facinating stuff...maybe somebody should start a thread about Chino in the 60s and 70s...????

...AeroSport...Penhall's Fighter Imports...Goesling's Unlimited Aircraft...Tallichet's MARC...also Chino was a firefighting tanker base from the early 60s thru 1969...etc,etc...

Last edited by sledge39; 05-29-2009, 09:32 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

...this is facinating stuff...maybe somebody should start a thread about Chino in the 60s and 70s...????
                            Good idea. Maybe someone has a pic of that C-120 or 140 that has been parked in the Gen Aviation ramp all these years before most of the parts were stripped off?

I look for that plane everytime I go to Chino!

Comment

a bit off topic here, but I am Supe's oldest daughter and was very happy to find this site with the photos of my dad and Aero Sport as well, if any of you have photos you would not mind sharing with me in jpg format, I would be very appreciative, would like to put together a scrapbook for family members.....

thanks and thanks for acknowledging the work done by dad and his partners on these great planes!

Comment

Originally posted by Supe's Kid View Post
                                a bit off topic here, but I am Supe's oldest daughter and was very happy to find this site with the photos of my dad and Aero Sport as well, if any of you have photos you would not mind sharing with me in jpg format, I would be very appreciative, would like to put together a scrapbook for family members.....

thanks and thanks for acknowledging the work done by dad and his partners on these great planes!
                                .......more proof that I was born into the wrong family.

Comment

Working...
                                X