2008 Unlimited Final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2008 Unlimited Final

Video capture is 2nd to databases when it comes to sucking up Disk IO. The faster the drive the better. A friend of mine uses a seperate raid array of 3 disks to capture video to. Not for the raw disk space, but the IO is much faster when writing to 3 disks, then when writing to 1. She runs her OS and apps off a single disk, and then captures to her 3x 500 gig 7200rpm sata raid array. She has a dual proc machine and had issues like you all talked about, once she put in the array, zero problems.

I know there are a couple of companies that make external raids that hook up via firewire or esata. The enclosure is usually around 100 bucks, and then you add in your own drives. with 500 gig drives around 75 bucks, you could get plenty of space and IO without spending a massive fortune. Alot of the modern desktops (dell or self built) will have sata controllers that will do raids. My home built quad core has 2 arrays. A raid 5 (3x 500 gig) that i run my os and apps on, and a 2x 1tb that i mirror and keep music on.

Comment

Alright race fans... here is the entire Unlimited Gold race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELnMwtqmfcM

I have included a few post race clips. Tiger celebrating. Of particular interest is Tiger describing the pass to Steve Hinton and Bob Button. Also take a look at the burn marks behind Strega's exhaust. Now that's hot! Similar scorching was evident on other races but was not included here due to the 10 min time limit imposed on youtube. I'll try vimeo later.

Enjoy
      Bill Garnett
      InterstellarDust
      Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Cool vid
        Post race clips, a great addition.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Bill, first of all, I declare myself "five zeros to the left of the comma" about videos, but I do like it, steady images and good sound. Thank you a lot for posting it and for keeping the 2008 air race fire still burning. Nevertheless, I must be sincere and want to say, it seems to me, that it is too Strega-oriented, under the title 2008 Unlimited Final. I would have shown the other racers a little more. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell
              Alright race fans... here is the entire Unlimited Gold race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELnMwtqmfcM

I have included a few post race clips. Tiger celebrating. Of particular interest is Tiger describing the pass to Steve Hinton and Bob Button. Also take a look at the burn marks behind Strega's exhaust. Now that's hot! Similar scorching was evident on other races but was not included here due to the 10 min time limit imposed on youtube. I'll try vimeo later.

Enjoy
              Hi Bill, the video is very good…… got to love the XL2. Definitely come on over and try out Vimeo. (My page http://www.vimeo.com/user598498) I’m on the “Plus” account which is a 2gig upload a week. It’s $59.95 a year but if you have lots of good video it’s worth every penny. You can still just go the free route for 500Megs a week, but with all the HD out there to compete with, the higher res the better.
              Jason Schillereff

Comment

Just 2 cents from someone who edits professionally - the RAID array is definitely the way to go for video capture, HD or otherwise. A relatively inexpensive way to go on the Mac with FCP is a LaCie big disk. You can get them RAID 0 striped straight out of the box, or stripe multiple ones together. I've striped 3 together for a 3 TB array (I get mine from bhphotovideo.com) in a RAID 0 configuration at 7200 rpm via Firewire 800 and no problems whatsoever. You'll need the 3 port Firewire card ($150 ish) but it's worth it for fast, rock solid seek times.

Good luck!

Dave

Director - Dago Red's "Winning Spirit"

Comment

This has been around for some time now.
                  For those who have not seen it.
                  It is what Reno is all about.

Comment

I had forgotten that video -- hard to believe it was 10 years ago!

Dave -- That one was REALLY well done...

Neal

Comment

Dang... that is nice work! I need more camera men (persons).
                      Bill Garnett
                      InterstellarDust

Comment

I'm not sure why all you folks like Vimeo so much. It took six attempts to get this thing to upload successfully. I can't say I think it looks much better than the Youtube version. In might be a tad sharper particularly at full screen, but the compression artifacts are worse.

Niether version looks nearly as good as the .mov file (compressed) that I uploaded. Of course that doesn't look as good as the tape. See... look here over my sholder. Oh wait... you can't. Sorry about that.

http://www.vimeo.com/2857258
                        Bill Garnett
                        InterstellarDust

Comment

Working...
                        X