Have any Spitfires ever raced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Have any Spitfires ever raced?

Didn't Gerald Martin fly the CAF Wildcat in 77? Or was it not affiliated then. I remember it in the pre-war markings.
    Cost not withstanding, if the CAF brought 2-3 of their more interesting and rare aircraft and motored around the course, kind of like Air Biscuit, I would think the interest and trinket sales generated would more than justify it. Depends on how much of their take RARA gets, I'm not sure of that number.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by retroaviation
      That's a fair question. This is something we're just in the first stages of planning, so it's not a done deal yet. However, one of the reasons to take one or two or three of our airplanes there is not necessarily to be competitive, but more to help spread the word, so to speak, about our airplanes. Sure, Reno isn't exactly the "typical" venue for our fighters, but it has a large audience of people that love airplanes, so why not?

So, stay tuned, and if there is further news on this, I'll be sure to let y'all know.

Gary

Sounds like a good idea, although I can say that just your participation in the airshow portion was enough to introduce yourselves to me, especially during the TORA TORA TORA routine I saw performed in the 80's (very cool)

Comment

Wasn't "Lefty" Gardners P38 part of the CAF at one time or was it always his alone?
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD
          Hi Doubleup-

Your question was a previously-covered topic here at this site back in 2004 (& probably an item of discussion other times as well). Nonetheless, it's an easy enough one to answer again for you.

Only once did a Spitfire ever pylon race back in the Post-WW2 Cleveland Era, and that was for the final 1949 running of the Cleveland National Air Races: RCAF F/L James H. G. MacArthur raced Imperial Oil Ltd.'s beautiful near-stock F.R. XIV Griffon-65 powered Spit - Race #80 (Reg. CF-GMZ) in the 7-lap Tinnerman Cup event, finishing 3rd-place at 359.565-av/mph on Sept. 4th. MacArthur was distinguished WW2-ace who scored his first victory during The Battle of Britain, and was CO of RCAF Station at Edmonton, Alberta after the war. His racer Spitfire still exists in Canada undergoing restoration. It did NOT race in the Thompson Trophy, but was qualified as an alternate entry, after qualifying 12th-position w/a speed of 370.110-mph.

During modern-day Unlimited Class racing since Cleveland, the only Spitfires that have raced were the two examples entered by David Price & company's Santa Monica-based Museum of Flying air race team, w/their P-47D, for the 1995 Phoenix 500 Championship Air Races: a Mk IXc - Race #09 (N930LB), and a Griffon Mk XIVe - Race #14 (N749DP). Both were successfully-qualified & raced in the Unlimited Stock category events by Bruce Lockwood. They were a true delight to see going around the pylons and were a big draw for me personally, to return again after covering the previous '94 PHX-500.

Various non-racing Spitfires have made a few rare appearances over the years at Reno & other air racing events for static display & some demonstration flying duty, but no examples have been officially entered for competition other than at Phoenix '95. At Reno '81, both Woodson K. Woods' Spitfires were included in the roster of performing aircraft, w/WW2 fighter pilot F/L Jerry Billing, RAF/RCAF (Ret.) flying the Mk IX in mock combat w/Harold 'Bubba' Beal's Ha-1112 Hispano Me-109. Interestingly, the Reno '81 official air race program notes both the Spit & 109 entered to race. (The 109 DID make a Q-run, but was too slow to make the field, but the Spitfire only peformed demo duty.)

Here's a mini-gallery featuring a selection of my photos of the MOF's Spitfire air racers at the 1995 Phoenix 500 event, posted for your enjoyment & reference, and with hopes we'll get to someday again witness the splendid spectacle of WW2 Supermarine fighters back in competition out on the racecourse at Reno. With 2009 hallmarking Air Racing's Centennial, what better time to celebrate the momentous occasion by premiering a Spitfire in Unlimited competition at Reno for the first time? DBD

At the last Phoenix 500 pylon race in 1996, Evergreen AirVenture's Spitfire MKXVI was raced by Pat McGarry. Bill Muszala flew Evergreen's Mustang, the famous Jay Dee.

Comment

Originally posted by retroaviation
            That's a fair question. This is something we're just in the first stages of planning, so it's not a done deal yet. However, one of the reasons to take one or two or three of our airplanes there is not necessarily to be competitive, but more to help spread the word, so to speak, about our airplanes. Sure, Reno isn't exactly the "typical" venue for our fighters, but it has a large audience of people that love airplanes, so why not?

So, stay tuned, and if there is further news on this, I'll be sure to let y'all know.

Gary
            Thanks for the response, Gary. Best of luck to you all. Too bad the P-82 isn't flying as that is about the only aircraft besides the almost extinct Do-335 that I would just LOVE to see rounding the pylons. The sight of a Twin Mustang at Reno would just do it for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob
              Wasn't "Lefty" Gardners P38 part of the CAF at one time or was it always his alone?
              I thought that Lefty had title to the P-38 after the "big dispute". IIRC, Left gave up his P-51, "Thunderbird" as "payment". I'm going from a very hazy memory here, so perhaps someone knowledgeable on CAF history can fill in the blanks.

Comment

Good question & response regarding the future potentials of seeing today's CAF (Now- The 'Commemorative Air Force') entering some of their fighter aircraft in air racing competition at Reno, and elsewhere.

I feel compelled to comment from a historical angle on this subject, to remind us that the contemporary CAF's predecessor (The Confederate Air Force) was quite active on the air racing circuit during the 1970s, especially at the Reno event.

They thrilled the fans with their various exciting WW2 Campaign Air Battle reenactments, and enthusiastically entered many of their fighter aircraft in Unlimited air racing events, mostly in the Stock Medallion category. This participation provided some excellent relevance as to the heritage of the Unlimiteds, while adding alot of colorful pageantry at seeing some truly rare historic aircraft performing on the racecourse in their designed roles as- 'pursuit aircraft' once again to the delight of air race fans.

CAF Colonels Lefty Gardner, Vernon Thorpe, Gary Levitz, Ed Messick, Gerald Martin and others, made it possible (for those who were there), to see a real P-38, P-39, P-40, P-47D, FM-2/F4F, Sea Fury, etc. turning the pylons for the first time, while displaying their great piloting skills.

Reno '76 & '77 were two of my favorite years attending: When the Unlimited field was whittled-down through attrition or no-show, the CAF filled the gaps with their display birds, and it was a real treat to see their birds join in the racing action.

I sincerely thank the 'Old CAF' for their contributions to air racing over the years past (I MISS 'EM!) & welcome the new Commemorative Air Force's consideration of also participating in our favorite motorsport, if their constituency supports it & it fits-in with their operational mission to help promote support for their organization through such exposure.

'KEEP 'EM FLYIN'!!!

DBD

P.S. Wingman has some amazing classic photos of CAF fighters in both the reenactment and air racing competition scenarios at Reno, Mojave, etc. in his vast archives. Maybe we can coax him into sharing a few of these B&W and color images here on this board. Neal?

Comment

The one that raced in Cleveland- CF GMZ-TZ 138 was traded to Tiger for his P40 in the early 90s. I think it must hold some sort of record for most owners of a warbird in history. Check it out:

The Supermarine Spitfire registry follows the history of all Spitfires that survived military service.

And Price's Mark 9 MA793/N930LB was sold to a new owner in Brazil- (Darn!)

John
                  Last edited by John H; 12-12-2008, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John H

John
                    ......and has been effectively grounded.......(Double Darn!)

Comment

Originally posted by John H
                      The one that raced in Cleveland- CF GMZ-TZ 138 was traded to Tiger for his P40 in the early 90s. I think it must hold some sort of record for most owners of a warbird in history. Check it out:

The Supermarine Spitfire registry follows the history of all Spitfires that survived military service.

John
                      Acquired for $1250
                      Acquired for $1000.
                      Acquired for $3000
                      "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

I Don't know if any of you missed this or not but it'sa spitfire thing.

Enjoy . . . Turn up the sound

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                        Last edited by Flyer57; 12-13-2008, 07:00 PM.
                        Roger O'Day

Comment

Hi Roger -

YESSIRREE! That's long been one of my absolute favorite warbird videos ever & glad you found this thread to be a good home for this sensational action video link. Thanks a bunch for posting it!

(It's no wonder the announcer was cussing in exclamation - imagine having your back turned to that incoming thrill! )

DBD

Comment

Alain de Cadenet is a big warbird fan as well as a top notch driver. He raced pro for a long time and now gets asked to drive Vintage stuff all the time.

Will

Comment

Yup BuckyD,
                              I was watching a bunch a low flying stuff but in my humble opinion.
                              There is nothing better than this one video. That's why when I found it I just had to post it.
                              It's just great footage and you don't see it often enough.

I am pretty sure I would not have stones enough to fly that low over a runway let alone a field of un-level ground. Especially at speed.
                              It would be great fun but I'm old now and am grateful to be alive after the bold (stupid) stuff I did as a yonker.
                              I'll be happy to brag on those deeds, and let those other guys take over.
                              Roger O'Day

Comment

from the TV show "Piece of Cake"

Tim
                                http://evanflys.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X