Aviation Nation 08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aviation Nation 08

Talking about Nellis, has anyone not seen this?

Best seen on a wide screen monitor - Excellent

BillRo

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr
      So with all of the Training Command surplus all over the country, JD Reed had someone fabricate these cowlings? OR are they from an H or G?
      I'd like to know what propeller blades were used on the airplane in 1947 also, maybe since you seem informed you can enlighten?

Referring to the cowlings, the ones on the Red Bull P-38 are all hand made custom fit to the airframe. None of the cowlings on it now are from WWII . In fact the "chin" scoops for the oil coolers are hand made works of art patterned from "F" model scoops borrowed from Levitz old P-38. Even the induction is intirely different than what Lefty had on it. There is nothing even similar except maybe slightly external appearance to scoops from a 322. The intake and induction trunking is entirely different! In fact the intake system on this 38 is modified to customer requirements! This is the only P-38 flying that has carb heat!!
      As for the prop blades they look like normal blades depending on witch photo you look at and at what date, weren't there some cut down blades at one time?
      So how do I know all this you ask??? I work for the company that restored it.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by steve D
          Referring to the cowlings, the ones on the Red Bull P-38 are all hand made custom fit to the airframe. None of the cowlings on it now are from WWII . In fact the "chin" scoops for the oil coolers are hand made works of art patterned from "F" model scoops borrowed from Levitz old P-38. Even the induction is intirely different than what Lefty had on it. There is nothing even similar except maybe slightly external appearance to scoops from a 322. The intake and induction trunking is entirely different! In fact the intake system on this 38 is modified to customer requirements! This is the only P-38 flying that has carb heat!!
          As for the prop blades they look like normal blades depending on witch photo you look at and at what date, weren't there some cut down blades at one time?
          So how do I know all this you ask??? I work for the company that restored it.
          And an EXTREMELY STUNNING job well done, at that!!! I tell you she could have just rolled out of Burbank!!!

Comment

I like the effect of the new intakes. With the finish, it gives it the look of a YP-38.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Go to "airshowpix.net" for the latest photos of Nellis 08.

Comment

Working...
              X