Mig/ Griffon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mig/ Griffon

Might make more sense to just make the existing intake scoop cleaner or more efficient. Bringing air all the way from the oil inlets would mean bends and tunnels, you'd lose a lot of efficiency. The wing? That seems to be the limiting item for most of the warbirds. Maybe something more like the laminar tried out on the swept test aircraft. After all this is anything P-39 left? :
    What actually caused the Mike Carrol crash? There wasn't much wing left on the plane. All I have heard was "control problems" before he tried to get out.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I was thinking, How about a mixmaster. Cessna 337 style.
      Counter rotating and eliminates the weight of the contra gearbox.
      I'll have to see what Larry thinks.
      Roger O'Day

Comment

Originally posted by Flyer57
        I was thinking, How about a mixmaster. Cessna 337 style.
        Counter rotating and eliminates the weight of the contra gearbox.
        I'll have to see what Larry thinks.
        But adds the weight of a second engine....

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
          But adds the weight of a second engine....
          Not just the weight of the second engine, but also doubles the weight of the fuel, spraybar, ADI, oil, as well as just the sheer amount of space required for that volume of fluids.

I haven\'t really paid much attention to it, but there has been some talk on this board about a push-me/pull-you Lear Jet fuselage racer with Griffons in it that is supposedly being built somewhere. I heard that the reasoning behind the lear fuselage was because of it\'s size and ability to hold the liquids.

Who knows.

At some point you are going to have a diminishing return.

Comment

Perhaps one engine driving both, forward and aft, props?

Comment

Now THAT drive system I'd like to see! Kind of the He-177 in reverse...
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

You guys, We are putting a piston engine in, and a propeller on a Mig 17.
                Just making the picture in my avatar took imagination.
                Larry put an engine on a Sea Fury that EVERYONE said couldn't be done.
                I have worked with him. I have brainstormed with him.
                What all of you need to understand is this.
                If Larry want's to put a prop on a jet, He will put a prop on a jet and it will fly. And it will fly fast.
                What goes on under the skin will happen when we get started on it.
                We have a thought but we have not started and until we do we have no way of measuring, fitting, attaching, cutting, or any of that.
                I am posting these silly ideas for a couple of reasons.
                One, they're fun to throw out and see what gets thrown back.
                And Two,
                Everyone here has an Idea of how to do it. Of course, it has never been done, and one of you guys may just toss out an idea that will jump out of the monitor at Larry.
                Trust me, we are looking at all kinds of things and none of them, none, are inside the box.
                Oh yeah, I was joking when I said Bronze back in the first part of this thread.
                I'm a nut, but I'm not a moron.

I attached a fun home made pic.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Flyer57; 12-11-2008, 02:12 PM.
                Roger O'Day

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                  Now THAT drive system I'd like to see! Kind of the He-177 in reverse...
                  Actually, it is very "doable" and not all that complex. I envison a gearbox on both ends (gotta have something to carry the props) and a shaft geared to prop speed running to one of them, then a high speed (lightweight) shaft running between the gearboxes to carry power to the other end.

Another way would be a single gearbox at the engine with prop speed shafts running under, over, or alongside the engine to fore and aft output shafts.

Or you could .....

Comment

Guess you could come off the engine, go down, then under the engine and under the pilot. Then back up to the prop on either end. Still three custom gearboxes.
                    But then, with the engine buried and props in front you are still going to have to get around the pilot a la P-39. Hope the shaft tunnel is scatter proof.
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Flyer57
                      I attached a fun home made pic.
                      That is a SERIOUS pylon cut right there...

Comment

Skyracer has it pretty close to my drawings, comments by others interesting also. I think I have the prop length problem covered also. It works out on my drawings. Like Skyracer said, "It's do-able." I don't want to disclose too much yet, but there are some of you that will excercise some brain cells and figure it out. It gets more and more interesting the deeper I get into it.

Larry

Comment

Roger, Take a photo of the Haydon- Bailey T-shirt I gave you and post it on the "Spitfires at Reno" thread. I saw a lot of stuff there, but didn't see anything about "Hyphen-Bailey" as Ralph Payne called him. I thought he flew a "Spit" but maybe it was a Sea Fury, not sure. I'm sure someone could clarify that.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by RichH
                            That is a SERIOUS pylon cut right there...
                            Pylon Cut!!! What pylon cut. I was right on my line. That judge had his THICK glasses on.
                            I didn't cut no flamin' pylon!!!

I'll do the shirt tonight Larry.
                            I just had another Nut idea. How about a prop out front and a ducted fan out the tailpipe. Now that would be interesting.
                            As you can see there are about 700 billion ways to do this.
                            700 billion, now where have I seen that number before?
                            Roger O'Day

Comment

What are the winglets for?

Comment

Ormand Haydon-Baillie raced a Sea Fury in 1971 and 72.
                                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X