Mig/ Griffon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mig/ Griffon

Michele, I know that I'm fighting a weight problem, but I'm sure that some significate amount weight could be removed from a Mig, how much, who knows? The situation is that I was presented with a project that called for a Russian airframe with swept wings. We had a Yak offered, but I couldn't figure out any way to put a swept wing on it......So Mig was the only way to try to proceed. As far as engines, Griffons are hard to come by, and the contra rotating props are even more rare, I am told. I was the one who did the 3350/ Sea Fury "Blind Mans Bluff", and you are right, they were plentiful, and CHEAP, at that time. We put one on the dyno at Gary Aerospace in Hondo, Texas, and did everything we could think of to blow it up just so we could find out what the weak point was.

I've been considering other possibilities, so I am not throwing the towel in on the Mig. It sure would look cool going around the pylons!

Larry

Comment

How about burying a R4360 in the middle with a pusher prop (must be some B-36 bits left somewhere)? Then again, ground/prop clearance...maybe extended gear (like, reeeeeeeeally jacked up).

Comment

Perhaps if we build a large wooden badger?

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer
          How about burying a R4360 in the middle with a pusher prop (must be some B-36 bits left somewhere)? Then again, ground/prop clearance...maybe extended gear (like, reeeeeeeeally jacked up).
          Really Larry, I think this is a viable and exciting project and support it all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffman
            ...Regarding "rare pieces", everything racing in Unlimited class is in that catagory, Merlins, Griffons...
            Larry... You might be pleasantly surprised... though it has been a number of years now.... Can't remember the dash number but the Griffon that has the two speed, rather than two stage blower.. was, around '99 2000, still fairly pelntiful...

There's some stuff in this article... http://aafo.com/racing/people/brogers.htm that could well come in handy for you.

I like this idea...

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by BadIdea

Comment

This is practically Mig-21 with Hovey Merlin. See the hole in the leading egde the firewall would be there. Othervise it is like a P-51D Mustang ( radiator inlet would be NACA type ). Shorter than Tsunami with little bit more wing albeit percentagewise thinner foil ( transsonic speeds are close there where this fish moves ). This requires also one piece elevators like F-16 etc.

I regret only that I did not put the cylinder downwards on the model. Foil is SD6060.

This was worked with several people here..also comments from Eric Ahlstrom and Matt Williams etc. I think I went through 50 concepts...ending into this. Mini-F-Racer was my second candidate..but too lite for unlimited.

Name is TS2

Painted model is in my avatar. Comparison below has some newest mods...wider wingtip and elevator higher. Sreamlining along with it.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by First time Juke; 11-20-2008, 01:17 PM.
                http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I found some stuff about the Bell L-39-2 that was interesting. Lots on Wikapedia, etc. about this swept wing P-39. I tried to get some photos to post, but I couldn't figure out how to blow them up big enough. Looks to me like the 39 and 63 might have been "weed whackers", not much prop to ground clearance.

Larry

Comment

I'd love to see one of the many P-39 or P-63 fuselage hulks about the country (I think some of the P-63 are at Falcon Field, Mesa now) mated to a custom wing or jet wing and fitted with race canopy and the like.

Someone just has to do another racing Cobra, after all the very first modified warbird unlimited race was won by one.

Comment

Re: Tigershark II / Griffon

I have a feeling my TS II design could be set to go with a Griffon with those wider wingtips providing more lift and Griffon making the CG right.

Doesn't the kite in profile look like it has a Griffon already in place ( ? )..it ( griffon ) might make it slightly longer and fuse would need some redesigning. Tails have looked too big already so they possibly need no more size in the remaking ( of the plans ).

Last edited by First time Juke; 11-26-2008, 01:25 AM.
                      http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

A racing Cobra would sure be cool to see. Heck a STOCK cobra would be cool. Last one I saw was in '78.
                        Wouldn't be overly competitive as Tex only went 373+- in his but a solid bronze plane.
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Leo,Johnston qualified at 409.091 in 46,and Charles Brown in 48 at 418.300 in Cobra ll. I think Cleavland is close to sea level,I wonder what a modern P39 racer could do at Reno.

Comment

With a 3500 hp Merlin and a lot of detail work it'd probably go pretty fast.
                            Wetting the wing for fuel, water and boil off for oil in the nose, it could use the empty oil cooler tunnels for induction to the Merlin.
                            Maybe use the tunnel for the radiator for the coolant boiler, too.

A little bubble on the top so the upper longerons could be tied together a little better, no dorsal scoop like Larry Havens' King Cobra might be a neat deal.

The airplane doesn't have that great of an airfoil for high speed flight, but it could be modded too. Mike Caroll's had a pretty deep clip, it'd be interesting to see how it handled.

I always wanted one to go fast, but they all had bad Reno luck.
                            Last edited by stuntflyr; 11-28-2008, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Oh well. Gotta stop using memory...
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA! well done!

Originally posted by BadIdea

Comment

Working...
                                X