BD-10 accidents..a mystery ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BD-10 accidents..a mystery ?

I found out that Bede-10 visited Reno in 1994.

Were the 3 fatal accidents cause ever thoroughly investigated ?

I think there are some interesting features in that AC.

BEDE-10 vidz:

Part 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFcXSqrkmOQ

Part 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O206c...eature=related
    Last edited by First time Juke; 10-28-2008, 12:40 AM.
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Re: BD-10 accidents..a mystery ?

What mystery? They were under-designed and broke up in flight. A great idea that was poorly executed at the cost of several good pilots.
    Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Hi Eric !

I tell you how I feel about it.

First intented Mach 1.4 with those tailfeathers..gimme a brake. Anyone who has read Yaeger story about going beyond mach 1.0 would know that Bede-10 at that configuration will not be in control beyond trans-sonic speed.

I think the planes impressive power to weight ratio made the pilots try to push it beyond its design limits and cause it did not have an ejection seat they paid it dearly.

My assumption is that someway on the line test pilots comments were ignored and salespeople wanted to still sell it as Mach 1.4 mover.

I think it is a great AC ( stall at 70 kts and mach 0.83 top speed ), but someone down the line forgot to put a notion in the manual saying VNE 520 mph.

Just my .02 cents.
      Last edited by First time Juke; 10-28-2008, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Gosh, I thought there was only one BD-10 crash; I had no idea there were 3.
        _________
        -Matt
        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

skip was one of the test pilots on that aircraft. I had the honor of talking to him about it one afternoon. it was interesting. typical Bede, all flash and no engineering to back it up.
          bob burns
          ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
          "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Did Skip say that..no engineering to back it up ?

I think it could become a great AC with streghtening of the tail unit ( the plate like tail/fuse..maybe overall streghtening of the airframe ) and adding of the recovery chute.

Adding of the afterburner and one piece elevons it could go beyond Mach 1.0..it might then cost more than a 1 million usd, but homebuilders seem to be out of the concepts reach anyway...sell it to the 3rd world countries as replacement to expensive state of the art trainers or with proven STOL capability maybe even as light fighters or attack ACs.

..or is Javelin doing just that ?

It is all FLASH indeed...looks very neat. Very unfortunate that the first attempt to make a homebuild Mach 1.0 mover did not work out.

Comment

I dont want to put words in skips mouth, it was to long ago to remember exact words that he said. But skip said that there were issues with the design that had to be addressed before it could be a marketable aircraft.

the history of Bede is just that, he never wanted to address the engineering issues that needed to be addressed.

could that designed be fixed? probably, The tiger/cheetah line came from a Bede design after a lot of rework.

The problem is Bede was trying to market a supersonic airplane without ever putting it in a wind tunnel for proper testing.

all three crashes were the result of structural failure. This makes me believe that there WAS problems in the airframe that should have been fixed before it was ever sold.
              Last edited by tow-3; 10-28-2008, 09:32 AM.
              bob burns
              "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Thanks Bob, great input.

When I look at that plane I think it can go where Rare Bear was, but all aerobatics should have been done somewhere under 300 mph.

People like Skip puts a life on a line and all info from that calibre of flyer should be taken very very seriously.

rgds,

Juke

Comment

Follows in most Bede's footsteps. Not to drag this OT, but how many BD-5's are sitting out there half done or junked due to lack of a really suitable powerplant. I helped a friend with one for awhile but he lost interest after years of changes to the plans, missing assemblies and his inability to find anything that would propel it with reliability. The jet engine wasn't an option for him. Has anyone ever gotten a newer generation engine like the Rotax's to work in one? That was supposed to be "every mans airplane".
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I have several friends that have kits and unfinished Bedes. Some with several. Rich Perkins has 6. He has ever variant. All unfinished. I dont remember the last time I've seen a flying Bede. I guarantee you there are more unfinished projects than flying flying finished products.
                    CFI/CFII/MEI
                    www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                    www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Believe it or not, "BEE-DEE-FIVE" is still alive...

And here's the official reports on the three lost aircraft:

NTSB report on the crash of N9WZ:

NTSB report on the crash of N62PJ:

NTSB report on the crash of N7FF:
                      Last edited by AirDOGGe; 10-28-2008, 06:38 PM.

Comment

There's a BD-10 down the road from me at KMQJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Carroll
                          There's a BD-10 down the road from me at KMQJ.
                          That brings up an interesting question, Trey.....are there any BD-10s actively flying today and how many complete airplanes (ready to fly) are there out there?

Gary

Comment

Gary, that's the million-dollar question! I do not know the answer, and I should have clarified my statement. The BD at MQJ is in parts and pieces, never having been finished. I'll see what I can do about getting pictures of her.

T

Comment

i believe that there are two airframes still out there, there were five built, i think. neither is flyable.
                              bob burns
                              "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Working...
                              X