'Dreadnought' gets a ride...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'Dreadnought' gets a ride...

That is quite possibly the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.
    I've always wondered how you could get a Sea Fury to a sponsor's event.
    Already tilted up for everyone to see.
    You could park that rig in the middle of the Olympic Village, or ....

TJ

Comment

Originally posted by TWD
      That is quite possibly the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.
      I've always wondered how you could get a Sea Fury to a sponsor's event.
      Already tilted up for everyone to see.
      You could park that rig in the middle of the Olympic Village, or ....

TJ
      That's quite an idea.

On a side note, I drive truck here in Reno and over the years I've hauled a variety of stuff, the touchiest of which was straw/hay. I was really super paranoid of the loosing the stuff all over the highway. And to be honest, I've not sure I have the patience to haul special stuff, especially something like Dreadnought. I'm a pretty good driver, but it takes a really smooth and patient driver to haul precious cargo like warbirds and the like.

LP

Comment

and they do that to the formila ones

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk
          That's quite an idea.

On a side note, I drive truck here in Reno and over the years I've hauled a variety of stuff, the touchiest of which was straw/hay. I was really super paranoid of the loosing the stuff all over the highway. And to be honest, I've not sure I have the patience to haul special stuff, especially something like Dreadnought. I'm a pretty good driver, but it takes a really smooth and patient driver to haul precious cargo like warbirds and the like.

LP
          Back in my early employment days, I worked in a freight terminal up north, ALL SORTS of odd stuff came through that place! Bout the coolest was most of an F-4 that had a drogue chute failure on a slick runway somewhere north of us (McChord?) and and gone off the end... Getting to stand up on the trailer beside it was a treat.. Very surprising just how big that sucker was!!

Really too bad there isn't a way to easily truck unlimited racers from event to event!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Great shots. Living on the I5 corridor from San Diego,Ca to Seatle,WA I use to see the Unlimited Race Boats such as Miss Budwieser being trucked on its side going from one race to the other. Quite a sight.
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

ALL SORTS of odd stuff came through that place! Bout the coolest was most of an F-4 that had a drogue chute failure on a slick runway somewhere north of us (McChord?) and and gone off the end... Getting to stand up on the trailer beside it was a treat.. Very surprising just how big that sucker was!!
              Many years ago I was at my buddies house in moana farms right next to one six right when one of our ANG's RF-4's had a gear failure on touchdown. Both drivers punched out saftly. I was driving down the road one day and here comes the RF-4 on a trailer going north on old 395, I was so exited I nearly hit the car infront of me. Then several years later I was there when they used a CH-47D to lower the same RF-4 into the Sparks marina. I then got to dive the wreck about a year later. For me it was an awsome little circle of life type of thing.
              Tony

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. But how did they lift her up on that truck?
                _________
                -Matt
                Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
                  Awesome. Thanks for sharing. But how did they lift her up on that truck?
                  They used a crane, though I'm not sure exactly how it was done. Dreadnought was already on the trailer once I got there. It was really just a matter of luck that I got the chance to be there at all yesterday. And it looked like the same crane that was brought out to help with the Voodoo engine change. Speaking of Voodoo, they should be home now as well, I understand they just left Stead a few days ago as well.

I remember the F-4 being lowered into the marina, I was over by the rail yard taking pictures for a Train Sim project.

On another side note...please make a special note to self that when done charging the battery to the camera...PUT IT BACK IN...before leaving the house!!!

LP

Comment

After seeing that fire on Argonaut I am just glad it was down and fixable. I know those guys said it wasn't quite that bad but that thing puking fire was pretty scary.

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk

On another side note...please make a special note to self that when done charging the battery to the camera...PUT IT BACK IN...before leaving the house!!!

LP
                      Sounds like something I'd do.
                      Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Dave65882
                        If i saw that going down the highway I would end up wrecking as I would forget how to drive
                        My thoughts exactly! Best wishes to the Sanders team. Its always a thrill to see their toys in the air.

Thanks for posting the photos. Number 1 is great.
                        No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                        http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah
                          After seeing that fire on Argonaut I am just glad it was down and fixable. I know those guys said it wasn't quite that bad but that thing puking fire was pretty scary.

With Argonaut, the Bear's engine problem and gear problem, I thought for sure I was going to see a Super Corsair style bailout again. Thank god not.

John

Comment

You know that we shot CJ down coming around pylon 5 right WJ?
                            You should see the gun camera footage that didn't come out.
                            2 short bursts.........good kill!
                            WW

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
                              see that on the highway and I could end up 10 miles past my exit...

Missed exit, I would end up in Ione.....

Lynn

Comment

Thanks for the pics. I was wondering what type of rig they were gonna use. Looks quite simple actually.
                                "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Working...
                                X