RACE 15 "Furias"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RACE 15 "Furias"

I believe we lost another pilot/plane during the Lancaster,CA air races while flying a Corsair. I was there but don't remember all the facts. Please help me on this one.
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
      MAII was structural. I guess Tsunami's could be as it was a flap part, but I was putting that down as a systems failure.
      I guess you could say that Carroll's Kingcobra was so modified as to no longer be relative to a production aircraft also. Symantics?
      Just seems that they cannot be attributed to any short series of common failures.

I don't remember, did Geren's have a fire before the wing failed?

Mike Carroll's accident was most likely due to pilot inexperiaence, both my dad and Darryl had offered to test the airplane, and Chuck Tucker even flew one that had less wing.

Mike Geren's was classic poor maintenance, that engine was using way too much oil.
      John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob
        I believe we lost another pilot/plane during the Lancaster,CA air races while flying a Corsair. I was there but don't remember all the facts. Please help me on this one.
        Lynn Whinney, took off and disappeared.
        John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob
          John Slack

Comment

Thanks John, I also remember Tuckers P63 from my Cleveland days as a teenager. It was painted white with the red "Flying Red Horse" gas company, which sponsored him, on the side. I remember him saying he had his hands full flying the pylons & being almost uncontrollable in the turns.
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Jason S.
              Here is a couple that I took back in 89. I personally liked this color scheme and configuration the best.

Thanks Jason...

Lynn

Comment

Working...
              X