No announcement yet.

Air Tanker down near stead, Crew lost!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Air Tanker down near stead, Crew lost!

You live near a base and you get a little used to them constantly flying in and out. Yesterday I saw them come over in the morning on the way in, gear down and thought nothing of it.
    Looking at the pics in the RGJ it seems "lucky" they didn't stay airborn too much longer or Red Rock would have been hit. The VOS fence is in the background.
    Very sad.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

It was 09 that went down. They were down from Montana to help with the fires. And the aircraft was a part of Neptune Aviation Services fleet. The P2V was powered by 2 turbojets, and 2 R-3350's.

I went by the tanker base today to pay my respects, and I also let them know that all here at AAFO send their respects as well.

I encourage everyone in the Stead area that hears or sees the tankers fly in and out to contact the FAA if they heard or saw anything that may help the investigation. It was said to me today that since I took some pictures of the aircraft before that fateful flight that the FAA may want to see them. And indeed they do, so if anyone saw or heard something not quite right, please contact them. Every piece of information can help.

LP

Comment

I had been monitoring the tankers with my scanner for a good part of the day, but had turned it off not ten minutes before we saw the smoke and lost power. The sad part was when my neighbor and his wife came over. I was listening to RFD and told them it was a plane that went down and they made the comment "Figures, probably was an air racer."

Prayers are happening for the families!
        Tony

Comment

Originally posted by deepsky
          ...told them it was a plane that went down and they made the comment "Figures, probably was an air racer."
          My response to that would likely have been less-than-kind.
          _________
          -Matt
          Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

We saw the smoke and knew it wasn't good. By coincidence we had a water line break in the street just around the corner about the same time and when I walked out to the fire and city trucks one of the firemen told me what had happened.
            Having all my air race junk on the cube walls at work I get a surprising amount of negativity about the races.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
            X