How did the CAF fair with Dolly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did the CAF fair with Dolly

We had a corporate facility in harlingen lose half a roof so I was curious if anyone had any information about the CAF inventory/hurricane damage or relief efforts.

Re: How did the CAF fair with Dolly

Um, the CAF hasn't been in Harlingen since 1991.

Maybe I misunderstood the question?

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by retroaviation
      Um, the CAF hasn\'t been in Harlingen since 1991.

Maybe I misunderstood the question?

Gary

It has been a long time, but after the CAF moved to Midland, the old Golden Gate Squadron\'s PBY was sitting (engineless, on it\'s tail) on the ramp. I think I recall it had bad corrosion or something.

Everything else is/was gone.

Jim

Comment

I remember that Cat. I was part of the Pacific Wing in the S.F. Bay area back in the early 80's. After She returned form her trip to Australia. We flew her home from Harlingen after Airsho 82. With stops in Del Rio, Tx and an RON at Tucson. Then into OAK the next day. We had to use the inertia starter on the starboard engine as it had failed at Airsho the previous Thursday (that in itself is an interesting story). She was a fun aircraft to fly and fly in.

Dave
        Dave

Comment

That airplane is now sitting in my back yard.

Gary

Comment

He gets all the cool stuff.... LOL
            Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim
              It has been a long time, but after the CAF moved to Midland, the old Golden Gate Squadron\'s PBY was sitting (engineless, on it\'s tail) on the ramp. I think I recall it had bad corrosion or something.

Everything else is/was gone.

Jim
              I think you guys missed the whole saga on WIX...including cool pix of it being airlifted to Brownsville airport in 1993, where it sat until 2007 when an Australian bought it (again) and Gary grabbed it and put it on his property for storing . My uncle was on that flight to Australia...the thread on Wix saying it was going to be scrapped led to my last (and longest ever) call to my uncle, who died two weeks later. Life is so strange.

John
              Last edited by John H; 07-25-2008, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Here's a link to those that might be interested in the PBY discussed here (sorry for hijacking the thread with this). If I recall, there were two or three seperate threads discussing this thing, including another one showing the relocation of the wings, but I'm too lazy to find that link right now. Until then, this link kind of catches you up to the program, already in progress......

Gary

Comment

Working...
                X