• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tomorrow's Racers

Roger

Comment

RamJet
      Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

He's our man
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

"I think that any motorsport's major component is the skill of the human and the danger. I watch knowing these guy's are doing something I will NEVER have the skill set (and other set) to do myself. Take that out and you lose most of the crowd appeal. just human nature and the way it is."

I totally agree with you Leo.
          Also, imagine watching a race with racers you hardly can see them, too boring. May it be another show, but donīt see it like a real race. I think it wonīt has the attraction that today unlimiteds bring to the racecourse.

Comment

Only pilots I've ever heard having heart attacks racing were ED Weiner and Bob Downey. ED landed safely, Bob did not.
            Tommy Thomas is believed to have suffered a massive heart attack that caused him to fall forward on the stick and go straight in down the back straightaway during the Biplane gold final at Reno 1972.

F-1 pilot Dick Roberts fatal crash while attempting to land after a heat race in 1998 is believed to have been caused by a heart attack. Dick had a history of heart trouble, but was given a clean bill of health and fully cleared by the FAA for racing. The autopsy found advanced heart disease that would have grounded him at his next physical.

F-1 pilot Larry Burrow was found dead from a heart attack in his RV behind the old F-1/Biplane hangars, I believe in 1970. He was entered in the old #31 "Skeeter", owned by Smokey Stover. Larry had practiced on the course early in the week, but had not attempted to qualify.

I've never heard of a pilot going in during a race due to g induced blackout.
            Bob Downey's fatal crash during practice at Reno 1981 is thought to have been due to a 'g' induced blackout, not a heart attack. Bob had experienced some "graying out" during the Corvallis, OR F-1 races a month prior to Reno that his doctor attributed to diet. He was fully cleared to race prior to Reno, but appeared to black out while entering the course for a qualifying attempt. Bob had been orbiting overhead, and was coming down on the course in a shallow dive on the back straight. When he rolled into pylon #4, the aircraft relaxed out of the bank and continued a shallow descent into the ground near the approach end of Runway 8. It is thought that when he pulled some 'g' while entering the bank that he blacked out and was unable to recover.

As Leo pointed out, a very low percentage of heart-related issues.

Comment

I stand corrected and thanks for the info! I went off top of my head with no research. Bad Leo.
              I watched Downey's crash but never heard anything other than the heart.
              A dangerous sport to be sure, but I've seen many more deaths and injuries in most other motorsports.
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Don't forget about how close Bob Hannah came when he blacked out in Voodoo........very very lucky outcome.

Comment

The G load that Hurricane took were incredible....and to be able to reach up and pull the throttle while standing on his head belted in and doubled over trapped was a God given miracle.....I bet he thought so too!!!! All the training and the physical shape he was still in from motocross paid off in big dividends!!! We didn't know what was going on watching those moments....but it was clear after a few of them that he was in trouble.....love to watch these guys land on their wheels....!!!!!!!!
                  Went Fast, Forgot to Turn Left, Saw God!

Comment

Working...
                  X