Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stead Happenings

Thanks hm66sk!
    Sorry this dragged OT but glad to learn a tid-bit.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by taglialavore
      Which one?
      I think the MB5 is the same around 2005. Here it doesn´t look so big.
      The other photo is a P51G ? in Reno 1984.
      Is this the same Aircraft....

As seen at Halfmoon bay last Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by SCEPTER
        Is this the same Aircraft....

As seen at Halfmoon bay last Sunday.
        So, may I infer that this P51H you post is Don Whittington´s nowadays?
        It looks awesome.
        Thank you for showing it!

Also thank you hm66sk and Leo for the information.

Comment

Can't see sceptre's pics, just get red x's.
          Half Moon Bay, is it silver? Mike Coutches.
          I think his is the only one currently flown.
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Yeah, I think the Whittington's has has been that Green camo scheme since the late 1970's and was red before that. The one pictures does appear to be Mike Coutches
            The Whittington's is currently being flown.

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by 5150
              Thanks for posting the pictures!

Does anyone know the purpose of the metal on top of the back seaters canopy?
              periscope mount for instructor

Comment

I raced cars at Road Atlanta back in the 80's when the Whittington Brothers owned the track, a prototype Camel GT race car and the P-51. The plane was flown over the track during the race weekend. Very cool! And then as fast as they entered motor racing they left!!! I heard the rumors but never paid that much attention. Where did they disappear to? That was aroung the time John Paul was wanted by the FBI for trying to knock off a narcotics agent. He fired 6 shots and the guy lived. That was the end of his racing career and that of his son's who was my age. Paul Sr. was later found at a bank in Switzerland making a payment on his Mercedes storage unit. That car cost him a lifetime sentence in prison.

Comment

During that era IMSA stood for International Marijuna Smugglers Association. Everyone from the racers to track owners, promoters, etc were wanted by the feds for one thing or another. It sure was some good old fashioned racing though. I miss those days.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
                    During that era IMSA stood for International Marijuna Smugglers Association. Everyone from the racers to track owners, promoters, etc were wanted by the feds for one thing or another. It sure was some good old fashioned racing though. I miss those days.
                    That's beautiful and soooo true! Never heard that one before. I still have a bumper sticker that was circulating in the pits. It has a skull and cross bones on it and reads, "JP Phone Home".

They were the last of the good ol days weren't they. The Lowenbrau Porsche 962C, The Group 44 Jaguar of Bob Tullius, Apache Boats March, Bob Aiken in his Coca Cola Porsche GT and the Pauls in their home built Porsche Twin Turbo GT. They pulled it from a junkyard in 911 trim then modified the heck out it and won in it!!

Great Times!!

Comment

That was a great series!

they used to race at PIR here in Portland. It was good stuff. I had no idea about any of this crime stuff though. I was just a kid back then...

Comment

Just to clear up a few things, assuming my memory (of what I've read) is correct.

Mike Coutches of Hayward, CA has the P-51 H that was at Halfmoon bay. He exercises it regularly and also has a beautiful D with a NACA moded tail (not an H tail). The Whittington's H was the camo that was seen at Reno years back with the five blade. It is in FL and I do not know when it was flown last. They are two separate aircraft and the only 2 "flying" of the 555 H Mustangs made.

The 5 blader seen on the H was indeed from the G Mustang. 2 Gs were built and John Morgan has "one" (in quotes because it is missing many parts"). I think Morgan now has the 5 blader that was on the H. The G was unofficially the fastest P-51 hitting 498 level in a test flight. The 5 blade Rotol from England made the aircraft unstable. It was flown with a 4 blade prop first, then the 5. I do not know which prop it had going 498.

The other G was to be sent to England but may not have been sent.

I now return you back to Stead.
                        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

in 1978 it had a 4 blade propeller. Shawn

Comment

Both his H and D are absolutely perfect, and the D has a great history.
                            I haven't heard of the Whittington H flying in awhile. Some sites list it as sold, some in storage... just know it hasn't shown up in the publications.
                            The G that Morgan has is shown in that Warbirds issue, not much there but a fus center section. Seen much less eventually fly tho!
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

May I just point out the the John Paul who was wanted by the FBI was the CAR RACER and not the P-40 OWNER!!!!!!

Thanks!
                              JC Paul

Comment

Sceptre, Nice pictures. Do you have pictures of the P-40 that was at Half Moon Bay, and does anybody know were it's home base is.
                                Jay Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X