• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SALUTE TO LEFTY & WHITE LIGHTNIN'

Originally posted by Leo
    Neat!
    The old CAF house colors.
    Yep and here’s a huge thread on the WIX board about this very thing http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...ic.php?t=20853
    Jason Schillereff

Comment

Sad holiday news that Marvin 'Lefty' Gardner passed away yesterday on Christmas Eve 2008.

BLUE SKIES - LEFTY!!!

Thank you, Sir, for your many wondrous flying exhibitions over the years in the sky & down on the racecourse. Thank you, as well, for your courage & sacrifice on behalf of our great country during WW2, and for promoting patriotism during peacetime for the benefit of the following generations.

You'll always be remembered as one of- 'The Best of The Best' in aviation history's long pilot roster, but also as a true gentleman, and a kind, humble & generous human being.

I'm sure the only the cactus, juniper trees & jack rabbits won't be missing you, like we all will. FLY HIGH, Lefty!

Don 'Bucky' Dawson

(DBD note: Here's a supplemental mini-photo gallery tribute to Lefty Gardner, highlighting both his P-38 racer #13 & P-51 racer #25 THUNDERBIRD)
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for this, Buck.

Lefty was .... very special.

Love those shots from the old pylon 6 -- those were good times.

Neal

Last edited by wingman; 12-25-2008, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PQfAWFHHFA This is always nice to watch on a down day.

Comment

Blue Skies Lefty. You will always be my favorite.

Comment

Thanjks for sharing- didn't Lefty perform part of his routine in White Lightnin' with one engine shut down ? He truly was one of the best
                Russ
                Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Originally posted by 3dWrightBrother
                  Thanjks for sharing- didn't Lefty perform part of his routine in White Lightnin' with one engine shut down ? He truly was one of the best
                  Russ
                  Why yes, yes he did........... Mr. smooooth was always great to watch, and was one of the most graceful pilots (the other being Mr. Hoover) that I ever had the pleasure of watching. His routines before the Gold final on Sunday were like a ballet, and became a tradition that I always looked forward to. (my avatar is from one of those routines, and yes, the right engine is shut down) Godspeed Lefty, and thanks for the fantastic memories...........
                  Last edited by t-dub; 12-27-2008, 06:20 PM.
                  "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Saw this this morning in the Austin newspaper and thought I would pass it along. Services are tomorrow (Mon.) MARVIN T. "LEFTY" GARDNER On December 24, 2008, Lefty Gardner departed this earth, showing us how to soar with the eagles, but this final time, on the wings of an angel. He passes away peacefully at the age of 87. He, along with others, founded the Confederate Air Force, now known and the Commemorative Air Force, and was a member of the general staff for many years. As the first procurement officer for the CAF, he held both A/P and A/I licenses, enabling him to travel the world to repair and ferry vintage WW II aircraft home. He became the Chief Check Pilot for the CAF and was rated in all the aircraft the CAF required. He was widely known for his flying abilities, especially in his P-38 "White Lightnin" which he flew in many Reno Air Races and hundreds of air shows across the United States. He won first place in the Gold Race at Reno in 1976, flying his P-51 Mustang "Thunderbird". He raced in Reno for over 25 years. As an air show favorite, Lefty wowed the crowds as he performed his uniquely daring and graceful aerobatics in his legendary P-38 "White Lightnin". Lefty was a devout Christian and a member of the Hunt Baptist Church. He is survived by his wife, Sharon; two sons, Ladd and Daron; three daughters, Gail Graham (Terry), Donna Miles (Mike) and Janie McNeil (Walter); five grandsons; two granddaughters and one great granddaughter, as well as a sister, Dottie Potter, and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his parents, one daughter, Kim, 2 brothers and 3 sisters. Lefty had many passions in life- his faith in God, his family and flying. He was the happiest when surrounded by his family and friends. There was never a dull moment with him as he created fun and laughter with his mischief and practical jokes. Lefty's patriotism was obvious in all that he did. He was a loving husband, father and friend. We will miss him forever. The family would like to thank his loving caregivers, Brenda, Ami and Vista-Care Hospice. Visitation will be Sunday, December 28, 2008 at Kerrville Funeral Home from 6-8PM. Funeral Services will be on Monday, December 29, 2008 at 2PM at Trinity Baptist Church, 800 Jackson Rd, Kerrville. At the conclusion of the service, there will be a Missing Man Formation Flyover as a tribute to Lefty. A graveside service will be held in the family lot in Glenwood Cemetery, Beeville, on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 1PM. In lieu of floral arrangements, monetary donations in her name may be made to the Alzheimer Association or the VA Administration of Kerrville. The family invites you to leave a message or memory at www.kerrvillefuneralhome.com by selecting Obituaries. Select "Sign Guestbook" at the bottom of the individual memorial. Arrangements are under the direction and personal care of Kerrville Funeral Home.
                    "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Once I was close to Mr. Gardner, only an instant, like many others, when he signed me the White Lightning poster in Reno 1994, and that was enough to feel that he was a great man, besides a great pilot. Blue skies to him.

I´m posting these pictures where his name was painted in the fuselage of the Bearcat that was sitting in the main street of Reno in 1994.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I too read the obit in the Austin Paper. I was puzzled why they did not mention his war record and service or his crop dusting?

He did some really amazing things in the war.

Jim

Originally posted by t-dub
                        Saw this this morning in the Austin newspaper and thought I would pass it along. Services are tomorrow (Mon.) MARVIN T. "LEFTY" GARDNER On December 24, 2008, Lefty Gardner departed this earth, showing us how to soar with the eagles, but this final time, on the wings of an angel. He passes away peacefully at the age of 87. He, along with others, founded the Confederate Air Force, now known and the Commemorative Air Force, and was a member of the general staff for many years. As the first procurement officer for the CAF, he held both A/P and A/I licenses, enabling him to travel the world to repair and ferry vintage WW II aircraft home. He became the Chief Check Pilot for the CAF and was rated in all the aircraft the CAF required. He was widely known for his flying abilities, especially in his P-38 "White Lightnin" which he flew in many Reno Air Races and hundreds of air shows across the United States. He won first place in the Gold Race at Reno in 1976, flying his P-51 Mustang "Thunderbird". He raced in Reno for over 25 years. As an air show favorite, Lefty wowed the crowds as he performed his uniquely daring and graceful aerobatics in his legendary P-38 "White Lightnin". Lefty was a devout Christian and a member of the Hunt Baptist Church. He is survived by his wife, Sharon; two sons, Ladd and Daron; three daughters, Gail Graham (Terry), Donna Miles (Mike) and Janie McNeil (Walter); five grandsons; two granddaughters and one great granddaughter, as well as a sister, Dottie Potter, and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his parents, one daughter, Kim, 2 brothers and 3 sisters. Lefty had many passions in life- his faith in God, his family and flying. He was the happiest when surrounded by his family and friends. There was never a dull moment with him as he created fun and laughter with his mischief and practical jokes. Lefty's patriotism was obvious in all that he did. He was a loving husband, father and friend. We will miss him forever. The family would like to thank his loving caregivers, Brenda, Ami and Vista-Care Hospice. Visitation will be Sunday, December 28, 2008 at Kerrville Funeral Home from 6-8PM. Funeral Services will be on Monday, December 29, 2008 at 2PM at Trinity Baptist Church, 800 Jackson Rd, Kerrville. At the conclusion of the service, there will be a Missing Man Formation Flyover as a tribute to Lefty. A graveside service will be held in the family lot in Glenwood Cemetery, Beeville, on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 1PM. In lieu of floral arrangements, monetary donations in her name may be made to the Alzheimer Association or the VA Administration of Kerrville. The family invites you to leave a message or memory at www.kerrvillefuneralhome.com by selecting Obituaries. Select "Sign Guestbook" at the bottom of the individual memorial. Arrangements are under the direction and personal care of Kerrville Funeral Home.
                        Last edited by aerojock; 12-28-2008, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dWrightBrother
                          Thanks for sharing- didn't Lefty perform part of his routine in White Lightnin' with one engine shut down ?
                          Russ

Yes, he did. The P-38 had long been rumored to be deadly if you ever turned into the dead engine. Lefty proved the falsehood of that at every airshow. If you watch the video on p38whitelightnin.com, you can see the part of the engine shutdown and restart sequence.

Comment

I know "Sky Fire" didn't always live up to expectations but the one they did on Lefty was pretty good including the crop duster days. I think you can still get it.
                            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Re: SALUTE TO LEFTY & WHITE LIGHTNIN\'

Does anyone (Bucky D, Wingman) have any photos of Thunderbird in it\'s 1976-79 scheme? It had a beautiful dark blue tinted canopy, no stars & bars, and the race number was white in a big blue square.

One of the best looking \'stocker\' paint jobs ever.

Comment

The "Skyfire" video on Lefty is a must-have if you like Lefty. Very nice!
                                I have video of Lefty doing his routine one day, not sure if it is 88,89, some where in there, where the announcers were busy and di'nt speak. he was filler (as I often remember him being) and it was cloudy, windy and cold. Just the music and those allisons as he played. Gonna go dig it out and remember...
                                Thank you Lefty for all the great memories.

Comment

Working...
                                X