More Reno pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More Reno pics?

Excellent shots everyone, very sharp. Makes you want to reach out and touch them they look so close.

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by retroaviation
      Thanks for the shots of Maybee's Baby, y'all! I know it's not quite as interesting an airplane as some of the faster ones, but I'm kinda partial to it.

Gary
      We all love Maybee's Baby
      All these shots are fun!

JMurphy

Comment

Great captures, never get tired of 4SD

Comment

Ahh.. I'm happy to see someone other than me is old enough to have to cheat shutter speeds!!!

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

John Hall -- Good to see you on the board! Thanks to both you and fellow rookie Gary for bringing new airplanes and new enthusiasm to the IF1 class. The class had a great group of rookies this year -- especially important given the devastating events at Reno this year. Thanks also for bringing #99 back -- I've been taking pictures of that racer for a long time and it's nice to have some new ones...

I am curious -- what do you find different between your semi-stock red airplane and the much more serious racer #99?

Last edited by wingman; 10-16-2007, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Glad to be here!

We never intended to race 98 (and certainly not to field two aircraft my rookie year) which was purchased for practice, to learn how to fly a Cassutt and to take to PRS. Looked like 99 might not be ready in time for the races this year (see photo dated Thursday 9/6 the week before we raced) so we entered and prepped 98 to make sure we would have at least one aircraft to race. Finished 99 on Sunday 9/9 after a couple of all nighters (many thanks to the guys at Air Sierra Unlimited in Minden) and arrived at 4SD with literally 30 minutes to spare or we could not race. Had a total of about 45 minutes in the aircraft including the trip from Minden to Reno - qualified the next morning with 3 laps total practice in the aircraft before qualification laps and made the gold - was pretty happy about that!

Big difference in how the two aircraft fly - 98 is about 100 pounds heavier, accelerates slowly, tail is very slow to come up and takes quite some time to come up to race speed. 99 is a rapid accelerator, the tail comes up almost immediately (like a Pitts) and pretty much out accelerates everything in the field once airborne. The general handling qualities of 99 are better than 98 (except on landing - 99 will NOT slow down) but 98 is more comfortable (by Cassutt standards!) than 99 as it was built as a sport flyer. I was generally pleased by the way both aircraft flew - with the exception of two take-off aborts - first bronze heat race in 98 (I was the guy Gary Austin was trying to miss!) due to engine not developing power and in the gold final with 99 due to loss of oil pressure just prior to the green flag.

Looking forward to next year!

John

PS - I would love any historical photos on 99 when it raced as Sahara or Cool Runnings - happy to cover any expense to send them my way.
              Attached Files
              F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

Here's some pretty cool video taken at PRS by Dan Chrapczynski from the back seat of my RV-8 (Gary Davis flying) - that's me in 98 trying to make my first pass at Reno!

2007 Reno Pylon Racing Seminar - visit International Formula One at www.if1airracing.com
                F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

Thanks for this, John -- exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for. There are lots of accounts of experiences in the "bigger" classes but little has been written about IF1 and biplanes, and especially about the serious raceplanes.

I also enjoyed the video. I've wanted to fly in anything with Gary Davis at the stick since I started watching him a few years ago -- I think he's one of the great pilots in current air racing. It was really fun to watch the course he flies, even in your "trainer". The video also really shows how hard passing is, and why you all need so much practice and planning to do what you do.

I certainly have some good "Cool Runnings" material but much less from when Scott had the airplane -- I was crewing for an Unlimited in those days, and not doing a lot with IF1. When I get a chance I'll dig through the archives and see what's there...

Thanks again

Neal

Comment

AWESOME VIDEO!!! That was great. There is now $400- in our jar for next year....

Comment

the Dancing Queen...

And more Kirk Murphy, I think (Sunday Gold racing).

Comment

And a wild paint scheme...

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                          I certainly have some good "Cool Runnings" material but much less from when Scott had the airplane -- I was crewing for an Unlimited in those days, and not doing a lot with IF1. When I get a chance I'll dig through the archives and see what's there...

Thanks again

Neal
                          Thanks Neal - would love to see them!

John
                          F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                            the Dancing Queen...

And more Kirk Murphy, I think (Sunday Gold racing).

yep that's kirk.

JM

Comment

PLEASE, does anybody have any great pix of Zipper, IF1 race #1 (Gold final) and/or Zippitts, Biplane race #18. (silver final)
                              These shots are super great and I'd love to see myself at work since none of my crew can take pictures like you all can .
                              Thanks....Zip Andre

Comment

Originally posted by team zipper
                                since none of my crew can take pictures like you all can .
                                Thanks....Zip Andre
                                My crew suffered from the same disease!
                                F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

Working...
                                X