Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: F7F vs. purpose built twin ?

Originally posted by Juke
    I am still even after Pond Racer was not that hot with Nissans looking for this kinda V-8 racer builder !

Radiators would be on top of the engine nacelles.
    I really like these Falconer engines

1600 hp x 2 on a light-weight aircraft like this? hubba hubba.
    I'm assuming composite construction?

P.S.- the higher weight of the V-12(522lbs) vs an AL V-8(?lbs) will help get it closer to the 4500lb. Unlimited weight minimum.
    Last edited by forbergler; 12-03-2007, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Re: F7F

JUKE...Why wouldn't it have a boil-off?

Comment

Rare Bear has about a .5 hp per pound power to weight ratio, a 4500lb racer with two Falconer V-12's @1600 apiece has a .71 hp per pound ratio. That's about 40 % better power to weight ratio.

Food for thought.

Comment

THAT would be the Formula for an NXTwin...D.

Comment

Ok guys and gals, I moved it to the Air racing forums for yeah

Dream away friends

Wolfee

Comment

Re: F7F Moved

2 the moderator Gods... i bless thy loins with 90 weight gear lube!

groveling and genuflecting male member... BM

Comment

Centerline trust would be best for reducing drag in a twin engine plane. A composite Do-335 with the right wing could be very fast. And think of the powerplant possibilitys.

Front 3350 or 4360; rear Merlin or Falconer

or

2 Falconers or 2 Merlins

Comment

HOTdam!! Somebody's thinking! The Do-335 was one of the fastest (if not THE fastest?) piston engined fighters the axis had! A 2/3s-sized composite with TWO falconers pusher / tractor? Wow! Now THAT would be a 'wood-generator'!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rmudbugs
                    Centerline trust would be best for reducing drag in a twin engine plane. A composite Do-335 with the right wing could be very fast. And think of the powerplant possibilitys.

Front 3350 or 4360; rear Merlin or Falconer

or

2 Falconers or 2 Merlins

Juke.... Could you draw that out for us? Please... Love to see the thngs you come up with.
                    Cheers

Comment

Boiloff on a 3350 Interesting

Comment

The idea of a push-pull has really got me thinking. The problem with the Cessna was that the rear engine had cooling problems, but maybe that could be minimized with liquid cooled engines? Anyways, here's the latest incarnation of the Super F7F with Panther wings and trimmed canopy and some super-secret-squirrel props that are contra-rotating(probably the wrong way, but maybe there's a method to my madness that I don't even know about )
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by forbergler; 12-04-2007, 07:20 PM.

Comment

"I just go to thinking about it and it occured to me that there are a lot of post WWII wings off of our early jets that could do the trick, and that being made just after WWII that construction might be similar."

A lot of wild and cool ideas ala Larry Burton but don't forget how the Lear(?) wing on Miss Ashley II folded and it wasn't doing a snap roll. That was a neat idea but didn't really look that cool anyway.
                          Something else with a little more robust structure or spars might work though.

By the way....who's the money man that's going to build this bird?

Bill K

Comment

Originally posted by forbergler
                            I'd love to see someone build a Tigercat and hang a pair of 3350's under the wings. Lighten the airframe up a bit, fix the wings and remove the tailhook assembly, and you'd have a gold contender, I think.
                            Before doing that though don't forget how much power could be gotten out of an R2800. Ever read the piece about the factory 5300 HP engine test? That is one of, if not the best piston warbird engine ever built.

I've also fantasized about many aerodynamic mods to the F7F to make it a bunch faster but I don't like the jet tails. Maybe something like Blind Mans Bluff. Also right from the beginning I ve imagined the P38 with twin R2800s instead of Allisons.

Bill K

Comment

Originally posted by GeeBeeZ1931
                              A lot of wild and cool ideas ala Larry Burton but don't forget how the Lear(?) wing on Miss Ashley II folded and it wasn't doing a snap roll.
                              Bill K

According to the NTSB accident report, it was the tail that failed first:

"The onset of a flutter event and the resultant separation of the rudder and empennage from the aircraft."

It may seem like a small point now and perhaps it is. I think Matt Jackson's point about the Lear wing is correct. After the T-2s performance this past fall, I'm anxious to see Matt's American Spirit rounding the pylons.
                              Last edited by FlyKidChris; 12-05-2007, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ebutner
                                Juke.... Could you draw that out for us? Please... Love to see the thngs you come up with.
                                I think I have a plane designed for two Merlins...it was called Hammerhead. This Mini F aka V-8 IIR is a derivative of it.

I have to check it out. I'll get back to it later.
                                http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X