Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Allison in a Mustang racer?

Originally posted by Sky Critter
    Around 1990 it was owned by Rheinschild and was called "Miss-Fit".

YES! And... Erin Rheinschild Took Her to the Bronze (1st Woman to Win a Closed Course Unlimited Air Race), Bill got the Silver with Risky Business, it was a Family Affair...D.
    Last edited by David E. Wells; 09-28-2007, 04:08 PM. Reason: I CAN spell Rheinschild

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
      While 88 was a fast year for PM, it was also the year she bellied in. Don't really want to see that repeated.
      Definitely agree with that! But much potential was shown during qualifying. The plane was obviously built to go after the gold. It just seems a waste to treat it as a novelty.
      Last edited by hm66sk; 09-29-2007, 09:41 AM.
      "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by SCEPTER
        I don't think Ron B. would like you calling it that.
        You can call it what you will but, that's exactly what it is. Parading. He knows it, you know it. Kind of like buying a Ferrari and using it to cruise Wilshire. Then again, it's not mine. I can only dream.
        Last edited by hm66sk; 09-29-2007, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk
          Definitely agree with that! But much potential was shown during qualifying. The plane was obviously built to go after the gold. It just seems a waste to treat it as a novelty.
          Of course it was built to go for the gold...what racer was ever built with the owner hoping it would be a Bronze or Silver contender?

Race-winning speeds have also increased, what, 25-30 knots since then, and no significant modifications or improvements have been made to PM in those years.

Just like a NASCAR or IRL front-runner from 1988 wouldn't be considered much of anything if running with the same equipment/setup in 2007, PM is in the same boat.

Interesting airplane, but will not amount to much more than a novelty without a significant infusion of time, money, and airframe/powerplant/systems expertise.
          Last edited by Randy Haskin; 09-29-2007, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Yes but, PM has taken steps backwards since World Jet. Replacing the racing doghouse with a stock one, wings, etc.

Comment

Yes but, PM has taken steps backwards since World Jet. Replacing the racing doghouse with a stock one, wings, etc.
              Exactly my point.

That's why I'm putting my money on N6WJ being sold to somebody and re-emerging after a long "rebuild" as a stocker or TF-51.

Guess it'll have to be a "replica" P-51 anyway...I don't recall seeing 44-88a on the batch of Mustang serial numbers anywhere, heh heh.
              Last edited by Randy Haskin; 09-29-2007, 10:05 AM.

Comment

I hear you Randy. Like Stiletto and Sumthin Else which were a couple of my favorites. Maybe someone can tell us about how much $$$ it takes to turn a stocker into a Stiletto, Dago, PM, etc. And then how much to turn it back stock? I was surprised when the announcement was made on Stiletto. That was one of the most modified Mustangs ever. I'm sure it wasn't cheap to go back after all that work.

Comment

Maybe someone can tell us about how much $$$ it takes to turn a stocker into a Stiletto, Dago, PM, etc. And then how much to turn it back stock?
                  Remember that none of those three specific aircraft you mention even started out as complete stock aircraft -- they were all built from the ground up as racers from Mustang parts.

Comment

A true point I failed to mention. I was just being figurative. So is one in its "stock" form worth more than the cost of building up and then returning to a "stock" aircraft?

Comment

Originally posted by mustang5151
                      Just my $.02, but, unless it's in an A-model, putting an Allison in a mustang would be an injustice, a travesty, an outright faux pas!!! That's why they took them out in the first place. Compared to the Merlin, the Allison is a fat man running uphill to catch a streetcar!! They should all be put in boats. Out of 44 Unlimited Gold Championships, 20 were won by the Rolls Royce Merlin(45%). They can't win it every year. Why re-invent the wheel, stick with what works. They have had some hard luck the last few years, but they will be back in the winner's circle again very soon. MERLINS FOREVER!!
                      I may be wrong on this but I've heard that a stock A model is faster than a stock D model down low. I think that Steve Hinton may have even said that after they raced the PoF A model back in the '80s.

Comment

I agree. The A-model Mustangs were suppose to be pretty impressive down low (below 20,000 feet or so).

But the bombers they were intended to protect, and the associated attacking enemy fighters they were suppose to fight, were all flying up high, where the Allison-powered 'Stang turned out to be a dog, relatively speaking.

P-38s used that engine to great success in their attack missions. And the last time I checked, Stead Airfield was only 4500-5000 alt. A race-built Allie should do well there.

But aren't the proper model Allisons used for race duties becoming as scarce as the prefered Merlin?

Comment

The "Proper" model Allison was in the P-82, how many of those engine/blower units were built? It's the 2speed-2stage blower that made the Mouse and the Red Baron fast, the altitude had nothing to do with it...D.

Comment

Why not remove the stock super charger and install a small (4cyl powered) motor to power a seperate super charger? I bet this has been beat to death in here before.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
                              Why not remove the stock super charger and install a small (4cyl powered) motor to power a seperate super charger? I bet this has been beat to death in here before.
                              Why not turbochargers? A whole lot simpler, lighter, more reliable.
                              Last edited by Skyracer; 10-01-2007, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
                                Long ago in a place far away, my brother worked for Harrah's auto collection (in their aviation department).. <factoid>he worked on their Tri-Motor, which is now the Evergreen Tri...</factoid>

He has mentioned that this was done on one of the race boats they had... or tried at least (not sure if they actually raced this way) I believe they used a GM V-6 as the super charger motor.. Can't remember the entire story but I think that one time the big motor sneezed and managed to pretty much trash the little one with the resulting shock..

Someone have more detail on this?? Bart.. you reading????

Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X