Flying CzechMate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flying CzechMate

I do not believe the plane was CzechMate. That particular airplane belonged to Sam Richardson's Race29, called Czech Ride. I think Mr. Pardue shaved his tail by accident one year. If I remember correctly Sam painted a large finger on the tail after that incident and it was not a thumb! Ciao!

Frank C.
    Last edited by Frank C.; 09-26-2007, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Yancey started with an unrestored Yak. He had purchased a pair of them and used one of them to build the racer. So it never had a name before Yancey raced it. There was a great article in the EAA maagazine about his project showing the racer as it was being put together.

Michele

Comment

Czech Mate is an old favorite of mine. I think perhaps the most beautiful and natural looking of the highly modified WWII airplanes fielded. Reminds me a lot of a present day Gee Bee. Wayne is right, that rear quarter kind of a shot is awesome with that big ole blue prop!

Comment

Part 3 -

By next year, we hope and I mean hope to be going 10-15 Kts. faster. I can only say that we are going to seal up the fuse of those openings... We have more HP than we need. The geometry severely limits us. So, we will endeavor to clean up the aerodynamics.

At race speeds, it is very pitch sensitive. Some say we need a bigger horizontal - Others say the more unstable the faster you go. Whatever your belief, it's work to keep her plumbed up during the race.

On the Sat. gold heat, I got into some very bad dirty air (Dreadnaught). It scared me a little and I don't get scared in airplanes, usually. It took almost 10 G's to get her upright and out of that mess. Thats why they pulled the rt. fuel cell. We split a weld. I know one thing, actually two - I will never get down with those Sea Furies again until I pass them and, our lil Yak is one stout SOB. We were most worried about the motor mount for the 2800. Not even a crack or twist. We were lucky. That is the reason I stay a little higher than most racers. At the speeds I'm going, control response (roll) is sluggish and stiffer than hell. Alot of racing is faith and trust in your fellow race pilots. You spend a lot of time very close to each other and being predictable will save lives. Alot of my racing is spent not seeing the closer guys all the time. Especially in the turns. To keep what you have, one must step up on the turns or you get spit out. I don't yet have the speed to gain that back. For example, on Sunday Hoot and Stu were in front of me low. I was slowly gaining on them as the race progressed. I kept my higher line. As we got real close, I knew they would stay low. They both fly level, great tracks. A tribute to their skills. When we were all close, I actually lost sight of them on every turn because I flew my own line and if pilots fly good lines, you won't see each other until you roll wings level. It paid off and we passed them. Of course, we are talking on the radio too. Hope that gives you all a little insight into the skill and faith and trust we have with each other.

Best Always to all and again, without you, we would be not!

Sherm
          Sherm a.k.a "Smooter"

www.fighterpilotred.com

Comment

Sherm,

Absolutely amazing piece of writing! I'm backing up the software on this board as I write this so that NOTHING can happen that would accidently remove this stuff you guys are putting here!

Thanks for letting us all "Walter Mitty" a bit through your writing!

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Sherm

Thanks for posting your experiances as a race pilot for us to see.
              I think I can speek for most of us here when I say this.

I (we) have always wanted to know what it is like to pilot one of those birds around the pylons. By you and others posting what it is like, we can all live vicarieously(sp) through you.

Thank you sir!

One thing that seperates this forum from the others is the pilots that visit us often. Tell us how it is, and what happend. This is great stuff!
              All I can ask is for you guys (Sherm, Penney, Kevin, and others) to please keep it comming!
              For us ground pounders to come in here and see the great photos, vids, and general chit chat, is one thing. But to get it strait from the mouth of those that accualy do it, is something very special!

Thanks again

Wolfee

Comment

Hey Sherm, what's the story about Tiger and that canopy on race 86?

Comment

Race5:

On Tiger- No one knows what that wily fox is up to. I have not heard anything. He did ask John if he wanted to sell the Yak. John's response,"I thought you didn't like round motors" Tiger's, "I'm starting to like them more."

On the canopy. I'm not sure of your question. Its a bit quirky but functional. I land with it open for better visibility and for safety. In an emergency, it would be a bitch to open from the outside.

Sherm
                  Sherm a.k.a "Smooter"

www.fighterpilotred.com

Comment

Hey Sherman never did hear back from you???
                    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

I totally agree with Wolfee and Wayne, im really enjoying the various threads currently that the pilots themselves are taking the time and patience to answer us grounders what its like to fly and race these machines. I know i personally am learning heaps, and the desire to make it to the races grows with every post. I think i might have to book my vacation time for next year and go see the friendly bank manager again
                      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan
                        I totally agree with Wolfee and Wayne, im really enjoying the various threads currently that the pilots themselves are taking the time and patience to answer us grounders what its like to fly and race these machines. I know i personally am learning heaps, and the desire to make it to the races grows with every post. I think i might have to book my vacation time for next year and go see the friendly bank manager again
                        Wow.. first of all, that pic that Victor posted just above yours is... well... awesome!

Kiwi...

Ya just have to come.. just like I've heard, we just have to find a way to come down your way!

As you know, you have a real race fan in your midst there... RENO is beyond description, really.. Especially if you come early and watch the transformation from sleepy airport town to, the "happening" that is RENO..

It truly is beyond words..

As was last week's gathering!

What a wonderful world we live in!

Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Oh very true Wayne, i plan on doing the Reno trip in the next couple of years. If you do plan a trip to NZ, it must include an Airshow, the best time is around easter as the two major airshows here in NZ are alternating Easters. Every even year ie 06,08 etc is Warbirds over Wanaka, this is probably the best know of NZ airshows, and every other easter is the Classic fighters airshow at the historic Omaka aerodrome at the top of the south island amongst one of our better wine making regions.
                          The us the term sleepy towns wayne, Blenheim, where the Omaka airport is is home to approx 10-15,000 perament residents, and Wanaka has approx 6500 permanent residents, and over the 3 days of the last Warbirds over Wanaka, there was over 120,000 people went through the gates. and Blenheim had approx 45,000 through the gates over the 2 days of Classic fighters 07.
                          The 2 shows couldnt be more different, with Warbirds more a 3 Day CAF style show, and classic fighters is a little more relaxed, and the ground theater component (military re-enactors) is more involved. Classic fighters is also becoming known for its WWI component. Film maker Peter Jackson has a major interest in this area and the collection based at Omaka includes 7 airworthy fokker Dr1 replicas, a sopwith camel reproduction incl Gnome rotary, and alot of other WWI fighters.
                          See some of the images below

Corsair at Omaka 07
                          2 P40's Omaka 07

Lavochkin La9 at wanaka

La9, Yak-3 and L-39 at wanaka
                          Last edited by kiwiracefan; 10-04-2007, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Wow.. Kiwi.. that last one.. !! Can you say TIGHT formation!!

There are only a handful of places I'd like to visit on this planet that are not on this continent... NZ and AU (is that right?) are two!

Far as I can tell, you guys think like I do!

Scary as that is...

Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

it was pretty tight thats for sure. NZ is correct, and as far as the AU one is, im pretty sure you mean Australia, but here in NZ, we regard Australia as our western Island lol.... generally at least here Australia is regarded as OZ. but its no biggie. If they were to take La9 to Reno, im pretty sure in its totally stock condition, it could have run mid pack in the Gold this year. It is a fast machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer

Hey Sherman never did hear back from you???
                                Hey Victor:

I lost your info. We still have a wine deal or whatever.
                                Pls email me at info@bellalunawine.com with a way to get in touch with you.
                                Sherm a.k.a "Smooter"

www.fighterpilotred.com

Comment

Working...
                                X