John Penney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: John Penney

Here is a shot I grabbed from the General Admision stands. The announcer said something about the Bear having Corsair landing gears. I had never heard that before. It that right??

Enjoy!

Danno

The Rare Bear landing after winning the Final Gold Race at the 2007 Reno Air Races, and then having to land 'Deadstick' after the throttle sticking.

Comment

Great video Danno! And John, your commentary on the unfolding situation is riveting! There is no such thing as describing to small of a detail when it comes to telling us what was going on in the cockpit. More, more, more! Thank you again.
      "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Great video Danno! And John, your commentary on the unfolding situation is riveting! There is no such thing as describing to small of a detail when it comes to telling us what was going on in the cockpit. Yours and the other pilots narratives is the closest most of us can get to being there. Keep fueling the fantasy. More, more, more! Thank you again.

Comment

Originally posted by Danno
          Here is a shot I grabbed from the General Admision stands. The announcer said something about the Bear having Corsair landing gears. I had never heard that before. It that right??

Enjoy!

Danno

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YpRfyxx_TYk
          Cool. Got more?

Comment

During the landing (gliding) phase..... was the 3350 running or was it just windmilling?

this is a super thread!

B marsh

Comment

The landing gear is stock F8F Bearcat, not Corsair. The only things off of a Corsair are the brake master cylinders that supply brake pressure to the Lockheed T-33 brake assemblies.

The ignition was turned off and mixture pulled to cutoff on the downwind to the high key for the deadstick and remained there throughout the deadstick maneuver. The prop was turning only from windmilling force of the relative wind. Any noise heard from the prop, as reported by some, was from the energy dissipation of the relative wind driving the prop.

JCP
              Last edited by "Bear" Driver; 09-28-2007, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by "Bear" Driver
                The ignition was turned off and mixture pulled to cutoff on the downwind to the high key for the deadstick and remained there throughout the deadstick maneuver.
                C'mon, JC! What's a Phantom guy know about high key?!

Great work, and great to see you back in the cockpit of the Bear!

Comment

Does anyone have audio of the goings between John, Steve, Dave, and race control? That would be awesome to hear!
                  Last edited by hm66sk; 09-30-2007, 04:06 PM.

Comment

John, did you keep the prop out of full feather so you could vary the descent as well as restart if necessary? God bless you, you took an unhappy week and made the end soar like a hawk!

Comment

Sorry, there is no " Full Feather " on this or any other single engine racer at Reno.

Comment

Not anymore....but there used to be.

Comment

here is a footnote to Johns professionalism

During PRS last year I was working the ramp as usual but mainly working with the jet class. The pilots are all professional in their approach to flying but John was a cut above. The "kick the tires and light the fires" style was the normal routine and they check controls etc.at run-up but John had me run through a full ground check with signals and external confirmation of all flight controls. I really respect that professional attitude in the cockpit. It is just one more "check and balance" before you go out and risk your neck.
                          THANKS JOHN for making Reno what it is!

Comment

Thanks guys...I had no idea that these aircraft did not have a feathering option....

Comment

Originally posted by JCP
                              Not anymore....but there used to be.
                              What single engine racer at Reno has ever had a feathering option?

Comment

John,
                                I'm sorry, but what do you mean with "high key"?
                                Thank you

Comment

Working...
                                X