Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yak questions

[QUOTE=Lowel

Who lives in, or reasonably close to Arkansas, that can get a definitive photo report on Frostbite this off season?

![/QUOTE]

I'll try and buzz the field in a Katana and see what I can find.

Comment

Re: ChecZ Mate 2nd in gold?

Matt Jackson for President!!!
      Admitting a mistake takes character, Well Done Sir!

Comment

Matt, it's guys like you that are not only great pilots but pilots of great charachter that make you a role model for all of us spectators and keep us coming back to Reno every year. Folks can take away wins but they can never take away a person's character, and you refused to give yours up, a life lesson for us all. Thank you.

Ron Henning
        Ron Henning

Comment

Matt:

I would rather you dis' my flyin', but to disparage my wine... Them is fightin' words. You are always a pleasure and safe man to fly with, period! Hell, I don't think you ever tried "Fighter Pilot Red". It improves the sight! Best Always,

Sherm
          Sherm a.k.a "Smooter"

www.fighterpilotred.com

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson
            No more sausage and Fighter Pilot Red for me
            Matt, you are now, have always been, and will always be, a class act!

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Matt and Sherm, thanks for the straight scoop about the deadline cut...and the sausage. There are many, many fans that hang around here hoping to hear directly from the guys in the seat, behind the wrenches, or paying the bills. We have had the pleasure of hearing from several of you since the races, and it is always a treat.

Sherm, you had quite a cheering section going in the main grandstands as you made the pass for fourth (at the time until 232's problem and Matt's penalty) on the pair of Sea Fury's. There was some fantastic racing going on there, and in the Sunday gold no less!

If you do not mind could you expand on what it is like piloting the little Yak that we all love among some of the heavyweights? You did some fantastic flying as always, but especially in the Saturday race!

Thanks to all of the racers, wrenchers, owners, and webmasters for doing what they do...and for letting us all be a small part of it.
              ~Jim

Comment

Matt:

I have watched you race for several years and admired your tenacity on the course. I see now it is matched by you honesty and integrity. I hope we see your new racer real soon.

Best regards

Ervan hare

Comment

Matt,

Thank you for the update. Sorry to hear of the DQ, none the less, a fine display of aviating as always. Best of luck to you in 2008

Comment

Re: Yak questions

On the subject of fast Yaks:

Any word out of Chino, or the Tom Camp team, if Miss Trinidad, race 27, (R-2000 coversion much like Holbrook Maslen's red & white race 88) which qualified well (379.25 mph) in 2002, is flying again?

We need more fast Yaks![/QUOTE]

Miss Trinidad Race 27 is under restoration but will not be ready for another year or so. There are 2 more Yak-3U's that are under restoration at Hayward airport in Calif. that will race at Reno. Both are along the same timeline as Race 27 is.

Comment

Excellent flying and fantastic moral fiber. Thank you for doing what you do.
                      Off subject, but I live in Ione and would love to help anyway I can with the "Matt Jackson Racer" that's hiding in the corner at Sander's.
                      Erik

Comment

Matt Jackson is not only a GREAT PILOT but a GREAT PERSON ,as well. It is always a pleasure to chat with him in the Sanders Racing Pit.
                        In reference to the post after Matts, I wonder if Retired USMC Msgt Peck has any idea that Matts Son is a Marine currently serving in Iraq. Matts Son is truly my HERO!!!! RACE FANS, we need to get his miltary APO address so we can send him some care packages!!
                        My THANKS goes out to ALL of the Sanders Racing Team!!
                        Jim

Comment

I was notified after the race that I had cut the eastern deadline. I was sceptical of the call as I have never had a problem with that side of the course ever in the last 20 years at Reno. We did have an onboard camera and after our initial viewing felt confident that I had remained well within the boundaries of the course. I had clearly convinced the Sanders that their hired gun had been wrongly accused of a most serious offence. After having the tape moved onto disc and blowing it up onto a large screen television and then overlaying it onto an aerial map that was shot on Monday morning by a local firm at great expense. I have determined that I may have in fact busted the eastern deadline on more then one occasion. It appears to be not by much, maybe a few feet, however a miss is as good as a mile in horse shoes, hand grenades, atom bombs and apparently air racing. It appears in the video my parade lap and 1st lap were high due to turbulence from the leaders. I was carrying the same pylon position on my windscreen as usual and did not adjust for the increase in elevation, a typical rookie mistake. I therefore extened my radius line to just possibly over the deadline on the first two laps. After lowering down onto the course on lap three my line was back into its usual correct location for the remainder of the race. In other words I screwed the pooch. I have already contacted RARA and removed my protest with an apology to Mr.Houghton. In addition to removing my protest I want to apologize to the Lineman that I doubted as well as thank the General for his patients while I ranted and raved about the call. Its probably not the first time the General has had to listen to the ravings of a lunatic. I imagined a conspiracy was in the making, when in reality it was the old mind playing games after a long hard week. After driving home and having a subsequent testosterone decrease my mind has returned to normal ( as normal as can be) and therefore feel compelled to eat a large plate of crow. Congrats to Smoot for his second place finish although he never did pass me ever!!!!!!!!! and never will. No more sausage and Fighter Pilot Red for me.

Matt Jackson
                          Matt,
                          You are a fine honest person as well as a great pilot. It was a pleasure to chat with you in the pit. Please give your Marine son my best regards. He truly is a HERO!!
                          Jim Carney
                          Sandys friend

Comment

I cannot express how proud I am of my son Matt. He as many other young Americans are doing their part by putting their lives on the line in the war on terrorism so we can run around 8 pylons and risk our lives for the thrill of it. I wish I knew what my sons web sight contact is. He has been under radio silience for the past week and I have not been able to speak to him too much since his arrival in Iraq. He did call me before the Sundays Gold to give me some moral support. I wish he had spoken to the East deadline judge. I will forward his contact information as soon as I hear from him again. He is currently a EOD Tech and is doing his part. Thank you for all your kind words. I will be sure and pass them along.

Matt Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by race86
                              Matt:

I would rather you dis' my flyin', but to disparage my wine... Them is fightin' words. You are always a pleasure and safe man to fly with, period! Hell, I don't think you ever tried "Fighter Pilot Red". It improves the sight! Best Always,

Sherm
                              LOL!!! Great race, Sherm!!!

Way to go Matt and send our best to the son and his unit.

Gary

Comment

I was notified after the race that I had cut the eastern deadline. I was sceptical of the call as I have never had a problem with that side of the course ever in the last 20 years at Reno. We did have an onboard camera and after our initial viewing felt confident that I had remained well within the boundaries of the course. I had clearly convinced the Sanders that their hired gun had been wrongly accused of a most serious offence. After having the tape moved onto disc and blowing it up onto a large screen television and then overlaying it onto an aerial map that was shot on Monday morning by a local firm at great expense. I have determined that I may have in fact busted the eastern deadline on more then one occasion. It appears to be not by much, maybe a few feet, however a miss is as good as a mile in horse shoes, hand grenades, atom bombs and apparently air racing. It appears in the video my parade lap and 1st lap were high due to turbulence from the leaders. I was carrying the same pylon position on my windscreen as usual and did not adjust for the increase in elevation, a typical rookie mistake. I therefore extened my radius line to just possibly over the deadline on the first two laps. After lowering down onto the course on lap three my line was back into its usual correct location for the remainder of the race. In other words I screwed the pooch. I have already contacted RARA and removed my protest with an apology to Mr.Houghton. In addition to removing my protest I want to apologize to the Lineman that I doubted as well as thank the General for his patients while I ranted and raved about the call. Its probably not the first time the General has had to listen to the ravings of a lunatic. I imagined a conspiracy was in the making, when in reality it was the old mind playing games after a long hard week. After driving home and having a subsequent testosterone decrease my mind has returned to normal ( as normal as can be) and therefore feel compelled to eat a large plate of crow. Congrats to Smoot for his second place finish although he never did pass me ever!!!!!!!!! and never will. No more sausage and Fighter Pilot Red for me.

Matt Jackson
                                Dear Matt: It takes a great person to admit when they have been wrong. Everyone makes mistakes, but not many will admit it in public such as you did. You are a very talented and skilled pilot, and we all appreciate you very much. It's great to know you and it's always entertaining to be around you!
                                Al & Kathy Burk

Comment

Working...
                                X