Rare Bear Landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rare Bear Landing

Mike and Bob's downwind landings on 14 were Very Impressive. That runway gets short in a hurry with that much wind on the tail. As Dash stated, John had the luxury of choosing his cutoff point. He chose the runway into the wind and did an outstanding job. Very happy for the #77 crew.
    When 77 + 232 when by the pits, 232 looked to be going so much faster than the bear. Maybe because it's a bigger a/c.
    Great way to end the week.
    Flew home in #7 on the wing of #2 when they opened the field. First time I can remember not minding that I was staring into the sun all the way home.

TJ Dwelle

Comment

Wow, what a day!!! That was one of the most impressive Sunday's in some time. People, don't hate me, as I was never a Rear Bear fan, but that John Penney is awesome.

While listening to he and Steve come up with a plan really impressed me. He was so calm during the ENTIRE emergency. Simply unbelievable.

In my profession you are taught to remain calm, if you panic then everyone else panics. I wish I could have had that communication taped for training purposes.

Rare Bear was very impressive too. I had no idea that that team could do with what they had in so short of a time frame. How long ago was it that the airplane had no engine or paint??? I would say less than four months.

I have been going to the air races since 1976 and watched Steve Hinton crash in the RB in 1979. If you were going to be in an emergency situation who else would you want besides you than Steve Hinton. He is the R.A. Bob Hoover of our time IN REGARDS TO THE AIR RACES....

Thanks to all the racers for a great ending. The tribute "missing man formation" and "last lap" by the three classes was an awesome touch.

Best regards to all, have a great year.

P.S. If you look at my attached picture it looks as though Sept. Fury lost some bondo too. I don't know how to do the fancy "arrow" thing but look at the painted flames underneath the cockpit. I must say that Mr. Brown gave it his all, kind of a Tiger touch, win or nothing...

Will R. Lynch
      Lake Tahoe, NV

Comment

Dang it, I forgot the picture...

Here ya go..

WRL
        Attached Files

Comment

Don't know if you got a chance to see the other side, but it's pretty scorched.

Lonnie

Comment

I've had a throttle on my old SS Chevy get hung open after injesting some junk, just turn off the ignition and coast. Luckily I've never had it happen in the air. John Penny must have ice water in his veins they way he handled that situation.

Did he know the exhuast stack was burned off? And was that problem just secondary to the throttle issue?.

Congrats to the whole team.

Looking toward a thrilling but safer next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin L
              I've had a throttle on my old SS Chevy get hung open after injesting some junk, just turn off the ignition and coast. Luckily I've never had it happen in the air. John Penny must have ice water in his veins they way he handled that situation.

Did he know the exhuast stack was burned off? And was that problem just secondary to the throttle issue?.

Congrats to the whole team.

Looking toward a thrilling but safer next year.
              With an stack cracked or broke it can do incredible damage if it is aimed at the wrong thing. It would be like a blow torch.
              It could have had an issue with the stuck throttle or a chunk of aerodynamic filler could have done it too. Maybe they will let us know.
              If a problem isn't visable to the pilot he won't know exactly the bad part. He might find he has a problem from a weird smell, smoke, fire or something not working right but he won't know exactly until things are looked at on the ground.
              Rich

Comment

I think the people involved with the planes will tell you, that stuff is NOT Bondo. It is plastic (probably fiberglass reinforced) filler. Bondo is a brand name, and is know for its rather poor quality when compared to other fillers.

Just picking nits, but if you mention Bondo to some of these guys they might be a bit offended. And no it is not uncommon even in high end show cars. A common technique is to skim coat an entire panel and then sand it so that it is flat, usually leaving a thin coat across the entire panel.

Comment

Wow, it was so close to being the Yak's win! Whoda thunk?

Comment

Excellent race! Best I've seen in years.
                    Too bad the local news did'nt cover the emergencies of Voodoo, 232 and the Bear in the detail they did the accidents. Extremely good examples of the calibre of pilot that is racing out there, and in complete contrast to the daredevil portrayal all week.
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Red
                      yeah but it is not common to have rust under the bondo........

I've never seen rust on non-ferrous metal.. corrosion, yes.. NOT saying that I saw any of that on the cowl but... rust??

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I gotta eat some "Crow Sandwich".... I though with all the fuss about the paint and all... The BEAR was in the " If it dont Go!, Chrome it!" mode this year... Wrong.

Kertch had some trouble.... happens to them all I guess....

PENNY is the MAN!

He and the Bear are like Peanut Butter and Jelly....

Well done , Team!

My condolences to all with Tailwinds Forever... Sad year to be sure... At Reno and elsewhere.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan
                          My congratulations to the Rare Bear eam for the win, and its only 364 days until Reno 2008

I like to figure closer to 360...
                          It's 365 to the Sunday Gold.

What an awesome show.
                          I feel the best "Race" in many years..

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
                            Lap 2 or 3, right in front of the pits, big black puff.

Thought they were done.
                            Mega ditto.
                            _________
                            -Matt
                            Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

i was listening to the scanner while they were orbiting to land:
                              Hinton to Penny"do you wanna keep talking or do you want
                              me to shutup?" after that i was laughing so hard i missed
                              what was said next. great job by great pilots!
                              nice to see the bear win!
                              THE LOWPASS KID...

Comment

Someone congratulated Steve Hinton on the ramp for a job well done and Steve said: "Ah, he didn't need any of my help..."

Comment

Working...
                                X