Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just heard...another plane down

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
    Tow.. I totally understand the feeling.. but read this.. http://aafo.com/racing/news/99/reno.htm

Was a long time ago and we've been essentially safe for many years...

Unless it is decided that the sport is just too dangerous to continue.. (hopefully this will not be the case) then we really owe it to the pilots who have passed to continue.

Wayne
    Since the first fatality in 1972, we've had 17 total fatalities in 35 years of racing. Whether something is causing a lot of bad things to happen this year or it's simply statistical scatter that is causing a string of incidents following some "no-incident" years, we don't know and shouldn't speculate while emotions are raw. As we all react to the immediate situation, we need to wait a while and reflect on the overall safety record and decide if it's acceptable or what to do to change it.
    Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
      Tow.. I totally understand the feeling.. but read this.. http://aafo.com/racing/news/99/reno.htm

Was a long time ago and we've been essentially safe for many years...

Unless it is decided that the sport is just too dangerous to continue.. (hopefully this will not be the case) then we really owe it to the pilots who have passed to continue.

Wayne
      Make as much sense today as the day you wrote it Wayne.I was there that day and felt as you so eloquently wrote"I'm done.not coming back,screw this "! It sounds so cliche to say they died doing what they loved. I'm sure given a choice they all would have continued on toward there fate.Makes me very sad though. Hoping and wishing for all ,that there really are Blue skies and Tailwinds forever.

Brian

Comment

Wayne, i just re-read the 99 article, and i cant help but feel the same, we must celebrate the achievements of those who are no longer with us, and not wallow in mourning, I too have witnessed a life lost first hand, as a 14 year old at the fenceline watching an aviation incident that was unfortunately not survived by the pilot, it was a traumatizing thing for a 14 year old to witness, but instead of never going back to airshows, i embraced them for the celebration of technologies past and present that they are, and have become involved in them as a participant, on the ground helping on the flightline, and with my camera to report them.
        With that, I want to say this, may the blue skies and tailwinds never end and our memories of those who are no longer with us always be fond and loving.
        race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

I too have to jump on the "glad I didn't go" bandwagon for this year.

I've already had my share and then some of un-related depressing events this year, and it looks like Reno 2007 would have just made things worse. I go to the races each september for my annual pick-me-up to help me deal with the rest of the year's fiascos, not to add to them.

Yes, I'm aware that there are always risks with a sport like this, and that planes and people will be lost from time to time, but this is just a bit too much for me to deal with, especially when you look at what's appear to be an unusually high number of airshow losses in both civilian AND military acts this year, even before the races began.

I won't stop going to the RAR or local air-shows, and sincerely hope to be there next year, but as of this moment, I have no regrets missing this year's races anymore. I just don't have the stomach for them anym0re this season (NOT a pun related to my current ill condition).

I still clearly recall how badly I felt in 1999, which was my first eye-witnessed tragedy at an air event of any kind. I can imagine what some of you must be feeling like right now, considering how badly I feel from 300+ miles away.

So, my heart-felt and deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of all those lost and injured by the terrible events this year, AND ALSO to all those who had to witness it first-hand.

I kneel down, and I ask you all to pray with me that the rest of the airshow/air race season goes on without any more tragedies or injuries.

Comment

Wayne, is it possible to have threads like this have their titles changed, to reflect the accident is now past for example- Formula One Crash Friday). I keep clicking on here thinking it's yet another accident after the F1, tomorrow I 'll click here thinking it's happened Sat.

Thanks.

John

Comment

I hope you guys didnt take my comment wrong.

I love the Air Races, always have, always will. and my hart brakes each year I cannot be there due to family responcibilities, and job obligations.

So I must sit here every year and click refresh every 30 minutes on Monday the week before, and it slowly builds up to every 5 seconds on Sunday.

This year is no differant. Just this morning when I woke up and I clicked refresh, I had one eye closed, and barly looking out of the other at the screan in fear of bad news. Guess wat, it was there.

Tomorrow morning I will do the same, and again on Sunday.

I really wish (more then anything) that I could be there. But after the last couple days, Im glad im not there this year.
              Next year will be a differant story. If im not there in person, I will be there in spirit.

Comment

Rest is peace Gary.

Flickr page

Comment

Photos of Gary are being sought for his memorial.. anyone who has any good ones of Gary in better times, Please PM Randy Rheinschild at click here
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne, as I think someone else asked. Can you somehow go in and please change the title on this thread? It scares me every time it refreshes with a new post.

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell
                      Wayne, as I think someone else asked. Can you somehow go in and please change the title on this thread? It scares me every time it refreshes with a new post.
                      Just got to it.. done...
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Friday IF1 Tragedy

Thanks!

I'll look thru my stuff for some good photos of Gary. He flew a bunch for us in the prototype Thunder Mustang in 1997 before we hired Dale Clarke. I probably have mostly video.

Comment

Re: Friday IF1 Tragedy

Thanks for listening to our suggestions Wayne.

John

Comment

Working...
                          X