Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blue Thunder

Originally posted by MRussell
    Useless question (but I'm dying to know): what type of brakes are on the TM kits? Are they from another aircraft we'd be familiar with?
    I don't know. I'd imagine that they would be from something else rather than just for the TM. If you will be at Reno you can come by and have a look at another TM.
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by Jim58
      my $50 towards BT's return is in.

I was really looking forward to seeing Blue Thunder this year.

BUT I am so glad Mr. Parker is allright

X2

I know my $150 is a drop in the bucket, but I want to show my support of the B/T Team, and hope they get back in the air ASAP!

Comment

Re: Blue Thunder - Brakes

The later Thunder Mustang kits used an updated brake caliper made by Matco (W600 series) Rated for 4200 lbs. I'm pretty sure that's what John was using.
        http://www.carttonic.com/files/file_...hp?fi_id=15653.

Solo ;~)

Comment

Originally posted by RandyGoss75
          John Parker and "Blue Thunder" were involved in an accident at Stead late this afternoon.

John is uninjured, and will be making a statement soon.
          Very sad to read about the loss of Thunder Mustang. Excellent to hear that John Parker is A O K !

Glad that there are more Thunder Mustangs around thou. Definitely the record setting original will be missed.

I'll check if I have some way to donate in the near future. I would very much like to see the team up and racing again soon. All the best !

best regards,

Juke
          http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
            I don't have any info on this in particular, but I can tell you that if you get the brakes hot on any aircraft they will loose effectiveness. And, yes, they can get super hot!
            One time I remember the Pond Racer go by us on the runway and they were a light red glowing disk. It was late in the afternoon.
            The brakes were way under what it needed but there were space issues.
            If I remember correctly they were basically C-150 brakes, rims and tires.
            Rich

Comment

While the brakes or disks themselves being hot was a contributing factor, probably the biggest issues is how flamable the brake fluid is. If he was using the stuff that most airplanes use, it's highly flamable. There is a push underway among the experiemental community to find a suitable replacement that doesn't have quit the burn characteristics that the good old red fluid does.

Best wishes on a quick recovery.
              Alan

Comment

Wake up call!

Have used vairious "brake fliuds" in everything that moves and stops....ok

Am I to believe that the DOT whatever i have been using has a disportionate flamable factor than other potentially flam / inflam liquids that i (we ) have been using?

referring to other posts quoted < "highly flamable" fluids used in ac's ..... > gee,,, its all flamable suff .

splain me

BMarsh

Comment

Bill, Yes, there has been many conversation on the Vans Builders Forums about this topic. The "red fluid" that we all usually use has a much lower flash point, than some other liquids. Altho, those other liquids aren't officially sanctioned (really loose use of words as all of this is mostly experimental anyway) by FAA or most A&P's.

There has been some discussion of using another material that is just as effective as being brake fluid, but not nearly as flamable.

I'll go see if I can dig up the exact thread. Whats even more funny is that Cirrus has had a problem with brake lines that once heated, melted thru, let the fluid out on the hot rotors, started a fire and burnt up the airplane. Even caused an AD to be issued. Altho in the Certified world, they had to put the highly flamable red fluid back in after compliance.... Go figure...

Alan

Comment

Thanks Alan

back in the day of big inch road racing cars, we had to contend with red hot rotors, melting pucks and boiling (spraying in your face brake fluid)

vocs.... flash points.... whats that!!!!! get the &^!**& pads changed and get the @#$%^ car back out on the track !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

never really remember any of us dealing with the fire deal

Bmarsh

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Marsh
                      Wake up call!

Have used vairious "brake fliuds" in everything that moves and stops....ok

Am I to believe that the DOT whatever i have been using has a disportionate flamable factor than other potentially flam / inflam liquids that i (we ) have been using?

referring to other posts quoted < "highly flamable" fluids used in ac's ..... > gee,,, its all flamable suff .

splain me

BMarsh

My understanding is that many aircraft use the hydraulic system for powering the brakes. That's going to be a petroleum based (or synthetic but still petroleum-like) fluid, NOT the non-flammable glycol-based (DOT 3 and 4) or silicone based (DOT 5) brake fluids that we car-guys use. That is one great thing about autmotive brake fluid- its NOT going to burn no matter how red you get the brake rotors, although it will boil at some point. Anyone that saw the NASCAR race at Richmond last weekend saw plenty of video coverage of glowing brake rotors, and even in wrecks you didn't see flame around the wheels (under the hood of the #42 was a different story!).

Up to a certain airframe weight, I'd think aircaft could use an automotive type system with glycol or silicone fluid just fine, but heavier/faster aircraft are going to need assisted brakes, and the vacuum-powered boosters cars have for power brakes just wouldn't do the job, therefore powered hydraulic brakes are a necessity. There certainly exist non-flammable fluids that could do the job, but it would mean making the whole hydraulic system compatible with such a fluid.

Comment

Hello everyone,

Blue Thunder used Mil Spec 5606 brake fluid which I understand is flammable and has a flashpoint of 180 F. Please note I am providing info here. I am not saying that a line ruptured.
                        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Thanks posters.... i b splained.

i knew in my vast anti-knowledge base.... there was a reason

cool

Bmarsh

Comment

Dash,

I just printed out your post and it is currently circulating around the American Air Racing hangar.

Thank you for your kind words.
                            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Where do I find the AA hangar??????

I will be out there again in the AM and I want to stop by and show support

Thanks ....Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim58

Where do I find the AA hangar??????

I will be out there again in the AM and I want to stop by and show support

Thanks ....Jim
                                Good question... for those that don't know where the American Air Racing hanger is; if you were standing nose to nose with Race 57 (the Super Corsair) we would be down the row of hangers to your left. We're in the last hanger on the right, can't miss us. Please, stop on by and donate a few bucks if you can.
                                Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                                My Photos
                                My Ride

Comment

Working...
                                X