X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Critical Mass - Blind Man's Bluff = SPLIT THREAD

Thanks, Bluffman...
    I have been stuck to my computer for two days reading all the posts on this thread. I finally finished them up about 4am Saturday morning. It's like that proverbial good book that you just can't put down! You have sure had an interesting and colorful life that a lot of people would love to read about. The other driver, Larry, and I had a great time with that whole Reno event. Staying at Harrah's downtown, spending the days at the airfield checking out the planes and all the activities. It was great. I often wonder what might have happened, how my life would have been different, if things had turned out the way they were being planned. I'll never know, but I still have those memories! Keep working on that book...something tells me it might be a best seller! Thanks for your reply.

Kaye

Comment

Amazing thread.......I just stumbled upon it and saw a car I worked on page 48....the electrodyne porsche in 1988.

I was at a u-pull junkyard within earshot of daytona in 2004 and could hear the unmistakable sound of Porsches when my phone rang.

It was the current owner of that car on page 48 who also bought the 944-GTR (the only IMSA spec. 944 turbo racer built as a factory porsche racer by fabcar.) and he had some questions.

I told him I was only 2 miles away and used some "Mickey Thompson mojo" saying "I would gladly answer the questions in person if you can get me admission to the event".

It's pretty cool revisiting a car you last worked on 18 years earlier and I'm sure the aviation guys revisit old machines quite often.

I haven't finished the thread but I surely hope there is a book on the way so I can put it in my "greatest books of all time shelf" with the likes of "we at porsche", "Yeager", and Bruce Campbell's biography.

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread because you have helped me greatly in making some life decisions.

Comment

Wow!

What a story.

It is like 30 years of "The rest of the story". Many of us were around for these things, but didn't know what was going on behind the scenes.

Thanks Larry.

Thanks Wayne for making this possible. 135,000+ views.

Al Gerharter

Comment

Thanks for motivating and inspiring an aspiring pilot and fellow car enthusiast to keep pursuing his goals and dreams. Keep the story and the good times rolling.

You da man, larry!

PS~ dedicated my first post to you

Comment

Larry,

Mighty quiet on your end. You doing okay ?
            How 'bout an update on your current projects.

Keep pushing 'em.
            Best to ya!
            Mayday51
            Jim Gallagher

Comment

Finally got back in here. Forgot my password or something, and couldn't figure out how to solve the problem. A "senior moment", possibly. Anyway, not much happening lately, have had some health issues that made it a problem to sit for any length of time. Had almost more "sheet time" than sitting time I reckon. I am doing better, and getting more active, just have to take it easy for a little while.

I am curious as to what is going on with the unlimiteds for Reno this year. Any new "iron" being put together?

Larry

Comment

I mentioned to the guys that we needed Larry's aero mojo on this project but got blank looks back.

Obviously, they were not hip to this thread.

PPR Ford GT World's Fastest Production Car in the Standing Mile at the Top Gun Run Event driven, Built, and owned by Johnny Bohmer of Performance Power Racin...

Comment

Icepaq, You are right in your thoughts, But Larry is not just an aero guy. He's a mechanical genius. This crew could get tremendous incite into race cars in general from Larry. He thrives on performance vehicles of all types. I don't know if he feels up to helping with this project but he may. I'll talk to him about it next time I have lunch with him.
                  Roger O'Day

Comment

Critical Mass March 2010
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like someone has been busy.

Comment

This is one of the best threads I have seen.
                        Whats a good way to contact Larry?

Comment

Originally posted by Exhaustgases View Post
                          This is one of the best threads I have seen.
                          Whats a good way to contact Larry?
                          Sorry your post did not show up immediately... we screen new signups to keep out spam and other crap that shows up if you don't... and I'm almost two days behind on checking on this stuff....

You can click on Larry's profile and I believe you can email him from there.. or private message him..

We have not heard much from him lately and everyone hopes he's OK..!!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Update.
                            Larry is doing well at 75.
                            I was there the other day. He just finished a great B-36 model and was thinking on building an electric R/C model using a contra rotating porp.
                            Also I was helping him put together a table to build an HO scale train set up. Town on one end, airport on the other.
                            His brother Dale (former Indycar painter extraordinaire) is living with him now. He has finished several 1/48 scale airplanes, paint detail is awsome, and is likely going to help on the train deal.
                            I was over there yesterday and when you go to Larry's you better have a couple of hours to kill. I have learned more about his exploits than is possible to know.
                            I meandered into the Levolor hangar 24 years ago and it has been a constant payback ever since. I don't know if I have a more loyal or better friend. Even my wife likes him.
                            Roger O'Day

Comment

Roger, beware... You said your wife even liked Larry...? About 45 years ago Larry was in the Veteran's Hospital in Long Beach, Cal. I would often go pick him up and we would visit the Taverns in Seal Beach and tip a few "Cold Ones" and talk Racing... I kinda got a Thing goin' with the "Bar-maid"..It wuz True Love!!! About closin' time I got to wonderin how I was goin' to get Larry back to the Vets and get back to my new found true-love... It didn't take long til I discovered I had other things to ponder, I not only couldn't find Larry and my true love , but now My car was missing...I ended up catching some ZZZZZ's on a park bench by the Ocean and freezin' my tail off... About sun-up I hear Larry and my Ex-new true love laughin' an gigglein', her pushing him in his wheel chair lookin' for me... Now, that's brotherly Love don't cha think... he made sure I could get home...course he stayed in Seal Beach in a nice Ocean-view apartment and a snuggle bunny... I had a 20 mile trip home...ALONE!!! Bro ron

Comment

Ron, He was just saving you from the inevidable heart break.
                                That's the kind of great brother he is to you.
                                I'm going by there today after work. I'll have to ask him about this.
                                I'm sure he will relate it the same way. He was just looking out for you.
                                Roger O'Day

Comment

Working...
                                X