This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Critical Mass - Blind Man's Bluff = SPLIT THREAD

I sent Brad Miller to Gary Aerospace in Hondo, Texas to dyno some 3350s, I had called them looking for a dyno facility, and I was told that they had some dynamometers. Well, when Brad arrived, yes the had dynos, but none was operational, so Brad’s first project was to make one serviceable. With help from some of the guys there, he got one functioning. When I called, raising hell about this, they told me that they had thought I meant a “test stand”, not a dyno.

I had sent one of my motor mounts with Brad, so we could test that at the same time, with a load on it. If it stood up to the torque of the dyno, it should be fine on the Sea Fury. There was a protocol that they followed there for safety reasons I guess, that no one could be in the dyno area while an engine was running, they would be in the “control room”, sort of a bunker with a thick window so that you could observe from there. Brad didn’t give a hoot about their protocol, he informed them that on occasions he would have to be out there with the engine to monitor it “up close and personal”. They really freaked out when he told them that at some point he would be running the engines on methanol and nitro-methane, and be out there alongside them.

The people there at Gary were aircraft types, and had certain guidelines to follow when testing engines, but we were, (as we became known) those “car guys.” We didn’t want to know if the engine was up to spec, we wanted to know how hard we could run them, after all, this was an “Air Racing” project. Brad ran an engine on gas, and the 26WD was supposed to make about 3,000 horsepower, but Brad tinkered with it and got 3500 HP, consistently. He had VP Fuels make us some gas with some additives that he thought would be better, and I had called Champion Spark Plugs and had them make me some “colder” spark plugs. I knew some of the Champion engineers and tech reps from Indy car racing, so I was able to pull this off, and the plugs had a number proprietary to me. This was a “freeby” from Champion, but for some “political “ reason, I had to pay a local Champion dealer in Reno $10.00 for each one that I ran. I never quite figured that deal out. I think that Brad ran four engines on gas before switching one over to the alcohol/nitro for testing.

Brad had designed the alcohol system, using an Enderle throttle body that was used on “Top Fuel” dragsters, that bolted on in place of the carburetor, and conveniently there was a pipe plug in the intake runners just before they fastened to the cylinders that was the same thread as a dragster fuel injector nozzle. He built a fuel distribution ring that provided for a hose to connect to the 18 nozzles. I think that he used three “fuel dragster” fuel pumps to supply the necessary amount of fuel to the 3350. I could go on and on about this, but that’s basically what it amounted to.

Unfortunately the dyno instrumentation was limited to 4,000 horsepower, so we never knew exactly what we got, but Brad did some calculations, fuel flow and stuff, and determined that it was close to 5,000. I think Brad did a post earlier that described how he would have a tanker come each morning, and hook up to the system, and he would run it dry.

I am posting 6 photos, one shows Brad in the “control room”, and the others are him standing beside the 3350 when it was running. In the photo with all of the fire, that blur on the left is Brad’s head, you can just barely see his “earmuffs.” I don’t know who was the craziest, Brad or whoever took the pictures!
    Attached Files

Comment

Awsome Larry, I love it. Was that mount crome moly?

Comment

Yes, the mount was made using 4130 "chrome moly", MIL-T- 6736 Condition N tubing. I think it was 2 1/4 O.D., .120 wall if my brain is functioning properly this morning. The clevices for mounting to the Sea Fury airframe were also machined from 4130. The mounts were TIG welded.

The USAC rule book for construction of Indy cars, champ cars, etc specified same materials, and techniques as aircraft. All Cad-plated parts required baking to eliminate hydrogen embrittlement, and on and on. Grade 8 bolts, safety wire, cotter pins and all of that had to be used.

Larry

Comment

Man, it's almost been a week and no Bluffman update! I'm having withdrawals. It's getting really good now with the work having started on BMB. Please, ..... need ..... more ...... story ..... soon ... or ... might .... ...!

Thanks!
          Tommy

Comment

Did I miss something? When was Brad introduced? How old was he when this dynoing was happening? He looks young. Lucky guy! What's he doing now?
            "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

hm61sk : Brad Miller was introduced in post 51, he was 19 years old, Shane Rosenova was 17, when I hired them. Brad went on to drag racing and invented the carbon fiber air scoop/ butterfly assembly that sits on top of the supercharger that most fuel and funny cars use today, and that's when they started going 300+ MPH, he was team manager or something like that for Joe Amato, the winningest dragster driver ever. He has done many things over the years, recently doing development for Yamaha on their Moto-Cross motorcycles. Now he is back into drag racing, forming his own Top Fuel Dragster team. Shane went to college and majored in journalism, and has had some aviation things published, and is now an airline pilot.

marada mx3 : Yeah, I know it's been a few days since I posted, but I looked back through my early posts and saw that I have been repeating some things. My story is almost to the point where I started, building BMB. At that time I had no idea that my posts would turn into a possibility of a biography, or a book. I had been told for many years that I should write a book about my experiences, but I never knew quite how to do it. Thanks to Wayne, and the responses and encouragement from all of you, I found a way to make it happen. I have enjoyed writing all of this stuff, and am very pleased that so many have enjoyed reading it. Since I didn't know how long there would be interest, I left a lot of bits and pieces out, skipping over some things that I am sure you would all have enjoyed.

Larry

Comment

Tommy, that's maybe not much of a fix, but I'm going to be posting some other things that may take the edge off. I am editing some of my ramblings to come up with something that I can submit to a publisher, and that is time consuming, and not near as much fun as posting like I have been doing. I would like to get something submitted before Reno, but if I don't, I don't.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by bluffman
                  I would like to get something submitted before Reno, but if I don't, I don't.
                  Hey Larry, we're movin' in on setting you up for Reno... What dates would you want to come up for... We've got to nail down flight dates, then move onto hotel space...

We're *GONNA* make this happen!!!!

At this point, it looks like lodging will be the biggest hurdle.... anyone want to help make this happen.. http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=6364

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks Larry. Certainly no pressure being applied. I'm just enthralled with your life story and experiences - very interesting to say the least. I tune in every day, several times a day, to look for the next bit. Take your time and I hope you get to Reno this year (I hope I do too).

Thanks!
                    Tommy

Comment

Help Larry i agree with Tommy about not pushing you and im enjoying your story immensley but im having major withdrawls here please send fix for this addict to the bluffman story

Keep up the good work and let us all know when its published and what the title is

regards

Layton

Terra Australis

Comment

Here's a couple of photos taken after Bolan "bought" BMB, note that he removed Joanne and my name, and the Levolor off the vertical fin. These photos show the canopy and windshield for those of you that weren't around back then, and also the instrument panel, etc. Bolan had sold it to Woods, and I had it in my Burton Aviation hangar awaiting Skip Holm to fly it from Scottsdale to wherever Woods lived.

Larry
                        Attached Files

Comment

Skip coming around the pylon, pretty low, judging by the people standing there. The other one is one of my favorites, BMB looking lean and mean! Pretty low there also, since it was taken by someone on the ground.

Larry
                          Attached Files

Comment

Bluff chasing a "51", and a low race finish with the "Reno" pylon and the checkered flag. Some of these photos are larger than my printer, but I got them as best I could. This "fix" ought to help. Getting late, bed time.

Larry
                            Attached Files

Comment

I spoke with Larry, Sunday. He was getting ready to go.
                              He told me the F-1 we have been working on in test flights had timed 11 MPH faster than last year.
                              I'm not sure if Larry has mentioned it but the planes number is
                              Race 22.
                              It was a bronze racer last year but this could put them in the silver class.
                              I have, as all of you truly enjoyed reading Larry's life.
                              I couldn't make the races this year but am planning on next year.
                              We have made a lot of mods on the F-1 and it's just a joy once again to be working with Larry. His brain is all racing and he looks at stuff with constant thought of what can I do to make that faster.
                              Little tiny things sometimes that when he shares them make perfect since about doing.
                              Bill Garrison, the owner pilot is a true natural in the cockpit. I have flown with him and he just has a knack so I suspect he will put on a show.
                              I'm really going to miss that BBQ. It's just too bad BMB won't be there.
                              Enjoy guys. It's gonna be worth the trip. Until he is just too tired to stay awake you will be filled with a history that has been a privillage to have been a tiny part of.
                              I am grateful to have helped Larry and Sandy through a truly miserable time. But also watched him before that and see Sandy who was truly his right hand gal. I watch Larry tig welding with Sandy working the peddle and just listening to Larry. " A little more... A little less" and she would step down or let up and he would weld.
                              He never looks at a project as something that can't be done. I learned a lifetime of skill from him. And I learned how to make things and fix things from watching in aw as he worked. Still today. Working on the F-1. He loves what he does and if you get the chance to see him in action you will see it too.
                              Like I said. Enjoy. You're meeting a true racing legend. Soak it up.
                              Cheers
                              Roger O'Day

Comment

Originally posted by Flyer57
                                I have, as all of you truly enjoyed reading Larry's life.
                                +1

It's been a fascinating read for me. Thanks for sharing Larry!
                                Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X