Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frenesi is Growing

Originally posted by speeddemon
    Brad's ace in the hole......I KNOW YOUR WIFE! She'll never let you get away treating me like this!!! :-) Besides, it seems every time I stick my head in your pit, the common response is "Warren WHO???" On the off-hand chance that someone might actually KNOW who you are, the answer is usually that you're off snooping in someone elses pit.
    Dang! You got me there. She is a Captain now, I must watch my P's and Q's, as she now wears the pants, tie, and has command wings. Look out Mary D the hen house is getting crowded

Comment

Folks,
      I am hyjacking my thread back.
      Here are the photos of the racing stacks as used on Bald Eagle.
      The racing stacks are large enough so the stocker can actually fit into them. I believe some of the stacks out there are even larger if a tennis ball will fit.
      Rich
      Attached Files

Comment

...and that's where baby stacks come from...
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
          ...and that's where baby stacks come from...
          Yea, the type used on little airplanes- like Texans.

I was afraid that such comments would surface with the likes of those who associate here.

Comment

Guilty!

See you at GOML!
            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
            World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by 51fixer
              Yea, the type used on little airplanes- like Texans.
              And just when was the last time you looked up the tailpipe of a Texan? Looks to me like a 1340 stack is a WHOLE lot bigger than those wimpy little thingy's hanging out the side of a Musetang.

Comment

Enjoy photo By Colin Aro

Shawn
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer
                  And just when was the last time you looked up the tailpipe of a Texan? Looks to me like a 1340 stack is a WHOLE lot bigger than those wimpy little thingy's hanging out the side of a Musetang.
                  Yea, but all they do is hold alot of hot air! Much like some others around here.
                  Bigger isn't always better ya know.
                  Rich

Comment

When you don't have those Fairings around the Exhaust Stacks on a Mustang, isn't there a lot of Drag caused by the Open Hole when Bigger Stacks are fitted? Bruce Lockwood told me that those fairings were Very Fragile and they were saving them for the Race, but they Qualified Dago Without Them. Don't they only fit on Stock Exhaust Stacks? North American didn't design them for nothing, Aerodynamics is more important than the minimal benefit of Slightly larger exhaust ports. Dwight always used the stock stacks and fairings, When he had them! I'm Only a lowly Artiste, but I Have BIG Ears...D.

Comment

Rich -- Thanks very much for posting those pictures. I had no idea how much bigger they are than stock. I too was wondering if the larger stacks are part or all of the reason why so many racers do not run that shroud covering the opening in the cowling for the stacks to emerge from the cowling itself. Does the shroud serve any aerodynamic purpose?

Looking back at the Moose Jaw shot, the stacks are visibly bigger than stock, and the lack of shroud looks almost just a lack of room for one.

Now Jimmy Leeward last Reno, who you'd think would be running the big stacks, did have a shroud.

Thanks for being willing to take the time to talk about this stuff...

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by David E. Wells
                        When you don't have those Fairings around the Exhaust Stacks on a Mustang, isn't there a lot of Drag caused by the Open Hole when Bigger Stacks are fitted? Bruce Lockwood told me that those fairings were Very Fragile and they were saving them for the Race, but they Qualified Dago Without Them. Don't they only fit on Stock Exhaust Stacks? North American didn't design them for nothing, Aerodynamics is more important than the minimal benefit of Slightly larger exhaust ports. Dwight always used the stock stacks and fairings, When he had them! I'm Only a lowly Artiste, but I Have BIG Ears...D.
                        Anything that smooths airflow can be a benefit as long as you don't dramatically increase the wet area. That is the square footage that the air has contact with. That increases the drag as well. In short you find a balance.
                        Early Bs and Cs didn't have the shrouds. They hadn't been invented yet.
                        The shrouds are real thin stainless. They are prone to cracking and wearing through.
                        With the big stacks you have to open the holes up to the point you don't have much material left between the holes. That makes them crack pretty fast.
                        Some have made a flat piece that replaces the stamped out stock shroud with openings for the stacks.
                        In that area you will have very disturbed air from the exhaust. The benefits of the shroud are there but I don't think it is a large one.
                        My 2 cents.
                        Rich

Comment

Thanks, I think you answered my questions while I was writing my post...

Neal

Comment

The Air that goes THROUGH an airplane is just as detrimental to the L/D as the air that goes AROUND the airplane. That Shroud prevents air from going INTO the cowling and STOPPING at the firewall, Giving the Exhaust the opportunity to create THRUST! I was There in Cleveland when Dwight gave a talk at the Society of Air Racing Historians (I think it was '93) where he proposed to the audience the next Strega up-date...Routing the exhaust into the scoop and Re-Igniting it! Shaking my head, I bought him mucho Bass Ale and told him the story about the guys that painted the decks of their SORC Racing Sailboats Black, to make the spinnakers lift in light air, he bought a painting I did of Strega. The rest is Hangover History...D.

Comment

Originally posted by David E. Wells
                              Routing the exhaust into the scoop and Re-Igniting it!
                              An early story on this site.. don't know if it's still around, will have to dig it out, dealt with a fellow in Texas who proposed a new racer with an interesting cooling system, part of which had a "steam afterburner" for lack of a better descriptive term...

As I remember, it had a small amount of water being injected into the hot exhaust, routed to the rear of the airplane, where it could produce thrust..

I remember some discussion over whether this would violate the "piston power" requirements, as it would certainly be "power" that was not, directly, from a piston..

We could go on forever about exhaust and I hope, by doing just that, we're not hijacking the original thread!!

If we are doing the dreaded Hijinks.. If fixer asks.. I'll split the thread up and make it two..

Certainly fascinated by 51fixer's posts!

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'll Finish the Thread by saying that Dwight was just trying to find out if he had Anyones attention, and defer to Fixer, who's got a better handle on this sort of stuff than I will Ever have...D.

Comment

Working...
                                X