Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cascade Warbirds - Kelso Fly In

Originally posted by Skyracer
    yeh...We've been kicked out of better towns than that. AND, we's NOT rowdy, we's just takin' fun to a higher level.
    I stand corrected!

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxaviatrix
      I stand corrected!
      's OK

Comment

Its been so long since I have been up there, I can't even recommend a place for breakfast. Where is your choice of places to eat? I moved from there the day after I graduated from high school. I went back in 97 as I was passing through on my way up to see my grandparents in BC.

There is some great flying up there. The summer thunderstorms always make it interesting, and the winter is super smooth, provided you can get the plane started (due to a high temp of less than freezing for the entire month of Jan. and half of Feb.) Crystal clear skies, just really really cold.

I remember one year someone in a bipe was on his way down to Reno and had to stop for some reason. I think the plane was called Illegal Eagle or something. (It had to be 15 years ago)

Since you are on your way through on a long haul, it makes a lot more sense. There is a whole lot of nothing between Alturas and Susanville, and an equal amount of not much between Susanville and Stead.

Will

Comment

Hi Will,
          Found a bipe named Eagle 1 and another called LEGAL Eagle.

You'd be surprised how the the town has grown. Still not very big.
          The place we eat breakfast is a chain of Bear something or something Bear. Bear things for sale. Sort of like a Denny's, but a cut above. A couple of really nice motels, like a Best Western, complete with pools and mini breakfast. One or two funky, but lower priced old style "motor court" places. They have redone the main drag, and spiffed up the store fronts a bit. There is even a mini-mall that was being remodeled when we came through in June. A place Thelma and Louise like for dinner. Real hoot. It bills itself as Thai and "California Cuisine", whatever that is. They had beautiful parrots in an outdoor cage and a Koi pond.Lots of community activities advertised on posters in various windows. Best feature is 3 hour drive to Reno, w/o going to Susanville.
          Betty

Comment

I think it used to be a Sambo's. (Now that's showing my age.) When I frist started going to Reno (yes, they still had the Pterodactyl class then) the restaurant had the leftover yellow and orange Sambo's decor.

Comment

Working...
            X