• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a Black cloud over Reno

Nope.

Comment

I have to say those S2s just don't look right without a set of radials hanging off them. They kinda sound funny as well. The Neptune has it right however.

Will

Comment

The Neptune blasting over 500' above with those 3350's roaring and the jets running is quite a cool sound.
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

those 3350's roaring and the jets running is quite a cool sound.
          I agree Leo!

I spent 20 minutes talking with a friend who just wouldn't belive they had jets on them. He said that since it has props and sounds like a jet it had to be a turbo prop! I never did convince him LOL.
          Tony

Comment

When I first moved here they had Tanker 14, a DC-4, based at Stead. THAT was cool!
            Last edited by Leo; 07-20-2007, 06:31 AM. Reason: spelling
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

My son and I listen to them on the scanner. They look awsome, but when you hear what those guys are going through up there! During the highway fire, air attack 59 (Aero Commander 500) was 100' off the deck and was nearly rolled over on the bottom of the run. As he and Tanker 11 (P-2H) pulled off of the run he laughed it off and asked the tanker crew if they were ready for the next run. The tanker pilot replied that they had been hit just as hard as the air attack and that they were going back to the airport to get the copilot a clean pair of shorts. One minute later they made the same run with the exact same results. The run had been so rough that the Lead plane ordered both crews back to Stead for a thirty minute stand down.

The coolest part was that the canyon they went into had been off limites to helo's due to the high winds, but the fire was working it's way around some ground pounders who needed to get out of there in a hurry. Very brave drivers up there that day!
              Tony

Comment

When I first moved here they had Tanker 14, a DC-4, based at Stead. THAT was cool!

Leo, is this the DC-4 you were talking about. This was at Minden a few years ago...

WRL
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Wilnit; 07-21-2007, 11:06 AM. Reason: forgot picture

Comment

Originally posted by deepsky
                  My son and I listen to them on the scanner. They look awsome, but when you hear what those guys are going through up there! During the highway fire, air attack 59 (Aero Commander 500) was 100' off the deck and was nearly rolled over on the bottom of the run. As he and Tanker 11 (P-2H) pulled off of the run he laughed it off and asked the tanker crew if they were ready for the next run. The tanker pilot replied that they had been hit just as hard as the air attack and that they were going back to the airport to get the copilot a clean pair of shorts. One minute later they made the same run with the exact same results. The run had been so rough that the Lead plane ordered both crews back to Stead for a thirty minute stand down.

The coolest part was that the canyon they went into had been off limites to helo's due to the high winds, but the fire was working it's way around some ground pounders who needed to get out of there in a hurry. Very brave drivers up there that day!
                  I'm still amazed that 'Tanker 910' (DC-10) struck tree tops on one of their runs in!!! I didn't think the 'WHITE'-fire was big enough to use that particular asset! ..and they said jets couldn't react fast enough (throttle-response(?)to get outta' a down-draft!.... Maybe some of the retired S-3s could make a decent class II ship? 'Hoover inbound!!!!'
                  Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

took this last Tuesday nite at around 10:00 pm. Had to focus by waitnig for the rotating beacon on the tower to illuminate the plane. Twenty second ~ exposure

Comment

AWESOME shot!

Comment

Originally posted by RCoulter
                        AWESOME shot!
                        Thanks - shot this earlier in the eveining - 1/15sec. Tring to get my panning skills down.

Comment

Super shots Fence!

When i do panning shots i get the same effect where the rear portion of the aircraft is in focus while the front is not. In the shot at 1/15th, i'm just guessing that the tail is in focus due to the light beaming on the tail.

Maybe you have a more detailed explanation for this?

Anthony
                          "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

I think part of it too is that the aircraft may be going up and down vertically
                            so the parts that are farther away from the focus point may have some blurriness.

Comment

Originally posted by sierra fox
                              Super shots Fence!

When i do panning shots i get the same effect where the rear portion of the aircraft is in focus while the front is not. In the shot at 1/15th, i'm just guessing that the tail is in focus due to the light beaming on the tail.

Maybe you have a more detailed explanation for this?

Anthony
                              I think you're right. I couldn't set my Autofocus to "continuous" because it was so dark that the lens would "hunt" fron 3m to infinity and back. I had to set the AF mode to single exposure and constantly toggle the AF reframe as I was panning. The beacon atop the canopy constinually illuminated the tail, so I think my AF "zoned" on it. I realize a lot of my pics arent tack sharp, but I'm trying to convey the way things really are rather than let you read the data plate on the fuselage. (although I do wish I had the skilz to do that too!)

Comment

Great pictures!
                                Thanks for sharing, hope things slow down fire wise up there soon.
                                JMurphy

Comment

Working...
                                X