Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Predictions for this year, Race Records

Originally posted by Race5
    I think Pip Squeak has some motor mods. At least fueling mods anyway, it smokes way to much to be stock. Speaking of which, does the L-39 have cable or hydraulic controls? Would a deadstick landing be very possible at Reno?
    AAAHH, I just love the 50's-70's technology jets. Back when OB routes were called "Oil Burners" (before the polically correct "Olive Branch" came along), and JP4 smelled like something real and it made your eyes water.

Comment

What year was it... Anyway, a few years ago there were a few pictures of Tom Camp (I think) waving as he was flying past home pylon... during a race. I'm sure I have one somewhere but I just don't have the time to search for it right now.

And since we're on the subject... got a little salute from the crop duster guy a few days ago. Didn't notice till I downloaded the card at home, pretty cool
      Attached Files
      Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
      My Photos
      My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
        A deadstick landing is part of the pilot quals for the Jet Class.
        Yes, but it isn't truely dead stick. The engine is still lit, so all the hydraulic pumps etc are still turning. I just didn't know how flyable one is if it all goes wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
          Yes, but it isn't truely dead stick. The engine is still lit, so all the hydraulic pumps etc are still turning. I just didn't know how flyable one is if it all goes wrong.
          Not sure if this answers the question or not, but on the L-39 that I've seen it had a drop down Ram air turbine to power it's control (or electrics?) which would deploy in case of an engine failure. I believe that it is standard on the aircraft.

If this still on board one that races (It looked heavy)or would work quick enough in a low altitude situation, that's another question.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
            What year was it... Anyway, a few years ago there were a few pictures of Tom Camp (I think) waving as he was flying past home pylon... during a race. I'm sure I have one somewhere but I just don't have the time to search for it right now.

And since we're on the subject... got a little salute from the crop duster guy a few days ago. Didn't notice till I downloaded the card at home, pretty cool
            Hey Stevo, that plane is an Air Tractor 602. Air Tractors are made in the small Texas town of Olney [my home town] it's one of our few claims to fame. Lelland Snow [the founder] is in the Texas Aviation Hall of Fame. http://www.airtractor.com/ these planes are used all over the world, and it's sure fun to see them spraying crops. Thanks for posting the picture.

Comment

L-39 Deadstick

A few years ago... maybe the first year of the Jets... Either Jeff Turney or Rick Vandam were flying Button's jet and the engine let go at Stead... Can't remember if it was during any "event" I think not... obviously, they made it back.

Can't tell you what the controls are made up of. Bear Driver stops by once in a while, maybe he can shed some light. I believe, though not members of the board, Jeff and Rick may drop by at times... maybe this thread will tempt them to join and answer..

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

...then there's always Dave Morss...

Comment

Originally posted by zeke
                  I'm not so sure if the backseater in the Buckeye quite felt the same, maybe a bit of fear? or just hanging on for the ride & the G's.
                  Here is a shot showing the back seater in the buckeye...of course it was just a quick joy ride, on the last day of PRS. I have some cool footage that RARA made me shoot while I was going on this joy ride. Let me know if you want to see it.

Thanks Doc for the awesome ride, I still can't wipe the grin off my face.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you were having a hell of a time.

Originally posted by radiokaos
                    Let me know if you want to see it.
                    Of course we want to see it
                    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                    My Photos
                    My Ride

Comment

Here is a shot showing the back seater in the buckeye...of course it was just a quick joy ride, on the last day of PRS. I have some cool footage that RARA made me shoot while I was going on this joy ride. Let me know if you want to see it.

Thanks Doc for the awesome ride, I still can't wipe the grin off my face.

The photo says it all , we all wish we could in that seat.

The next best thing is the video of course (that we would love to see ).

What was it like, do you want to post about the experience? There's not to many people that would have been around the track as quick as your flight (and as a passenger)

Comment

Hey Guys...I have some footage but I want to edit some more...HOWEVER if you must see check out this link and be my guest. I would rather put some new tunes and some low and formation flight footage up as well but that I can do that later today. Until then here is a sample.

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

The same is on Youtube just type T-2 Buckeye

Just check back again tomorrow for additional footage.

First off, from afar the T-2 does not look like it has the power to compete against the L-39's but I was completely wrong. She is just as fast if not faster and handles like a dream. I was so surprised how responsive the control's were and how effective the rudder and trim was. I was so lucky to go up in the T-2 and I still can't wipe the grin off my face. It was a blast. Speeds were outrageous, around 460 kts around the closed course pulling close to 5 G's. Then we broke off for some cool work at 17,000. Reno Air Races had me take up a media video camera for some footage and I must say it was pretty hard to hold the video camera while pulling G's and flying inverted. Nevertheless, since the Doc knew I had a video camera I think he showed off a little which I'm glad he did. I have to give thanks Dr. S, Cujo, and Pete for the awesome ride. Also if you get a chance you can check out tenton aviation for more info on his fleet of airships. Also I have to give props to the powers that be at Reno Air Race Association (RARA). I was training earlier that week doing some spins and aerobatics in a Decathlon and a Pitts, and the T-2 was probably the funnest ride I ever experienced in my entire life. Lastly, after our 45 minute joy ride, I came back to the RARA hangar only to fall asleep for about 2 hour while sitting up. I guess the G's really played its toll on me.

If I die tomorrow I would have no regrets. However, I now have a strong addiction for speed. I guess they like to take care of the "radio guy", plus I think they want me to finish up my Private and gave me this little incentive. Last year they sent me up in a T-6 which was also a blast. Heck anything with wings is fun to fly. I'm so lucky to have been at the right place and the right time. I can't believe I even get paid to work at these air shows and air races.

Lastly, I want to give thanks to the folks at RARA as well, Valerie, Mike H, Melva, Bill E, and Steve C.

Comment

Nice video's. The one of Pops was A W E S O M E ! ! ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Wilnit
                            Nice video's. The one of Pops was A W E S O M E ! ! ! ! !
                            Thanks...Yes, that was cool, he was leaving on Sunday as was one of the last to get out of Stead. It is nice to see other enjoy racing as much as I do.

Comment

Thanks...Yes, that was cool, he was leaving on Sunday as was one of the last to get out of Stead. It is nice to see other enjoy racing as much as I do.
                              Hey Jerry,
                              You’re having too much fun for someone that’s supposed to be working. Thanks for putting up the link to the video clips, now keep them coming.
                              Jason Schillereff

Comment

Originally posted by Jason S.
                                Hey Jerry,
                                You’re having too much fun for someone that’s supposed to be working. Thanks for putting up the link to the video clips, now keep them coming.

Jason..you are so right. I get paid to sit on my butt while working the event. However I do have some busy days of climbing the FAA tower and the home pylon. I usually set up my equipment a week before and right before the pylon gets erect. Here is a clip that has some footage that you have not seen. It shows formation flying, high speed from the T-2, and some other goodies. Next time I will wear a helmet cam so I can get better footage.

Just went up for a quick joy ride in the T-2 Buckeye Navy Jet Trainer. This video was shot at the Reno Pylon Racing School in 2007. Visit Airrace dot org for more…

Comment

Working...
                                X