favorite reno air race moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: favorite reno air race moment

Like Speed, after thirty years there have been so many.

The most emotional moment I share with Shawn, when the announcer told us they had a living, breathing, responding Steve Hinton in that helicopter.

Being "out there" when Skip blasted by at over 500 in the Valley of speed.

The 1980 Jeannie saga, watching it all unfold.

Darryl and Parker a couple years ago neck and neck for almost the whole race.

Ditto Warlock and Two of Hearts.

But what makes it the Air Races is that rush you start to build when your standing at the gate at sunrise, a little cold, a little bored, and a little anxious. The smell of sagebrush in the air (Now that I live here that smell after a rain gets the juices flowing no matter when it is.), everything quiet. Then you Hear Dago, or Strega, or Voodoo take to the air for that morning flight.

Ahhhhhhhhhh....
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Let's see....kinda off topic, but not really...

Pulling up in 2000 and parking the motorhome next to this huge diesel pusher out in the RV field and Lo and Behold it's Walter Payton and Dale Coyne on their way home from the Laguna Seca Champ Car race to Chicago ...stopped to watch a day of Reno Air Races.......Then, in 2006 walking down pit alley on Saturday and running into Bobby Unser......
      Many more memories to come I'm sure!!!
      Went Fast, Forgot to Turn Left, Saw God!

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
        I met Jack Roush when he was in Tiger's pit.

He doesn't build Lycomings.

sigh.
        My buddy Zorn in Paso does continentals... Anybody remember a plane called Nemesis?

Comment

I met Jack Roush when he was in Tiger's pit.

He doesn't build Lycomings.

sigh.
          After talking with a few people closely involved, perhaps its a good thing that Mr. Roush doesn't build Lycomings. I doubt he'll be 'assisting' with any racing Merlins in the forseeable future after the happenings of the last year and a half.

Just an observation...not a statement of fact.

Comment

No, did it win anything?

I'll have to get back to you on that one...

Let's see....back on topic....favorite moment in the last few years.....Hmmmmm....taking the lead air force military demo F-16 pilot for a ride on the harley one night....heh heh..... What was her name....Oh Yeah....Kristan!!!

Comment

How about the F4 in the Heritage flight...

I know a bunch of RF4 drivers were all misty over it.

That was a sweet bird!!! Even Sherman had dark glasses on!!!

Comment

Had to be the Saturday Gold race in 1991! The Bear leading with Strega and Tsunami right on his tail! If I remember right the average race speed for that race was 481mph.

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
                  Not allowed... spill it girl.
                  I think it involves a really well stuffed flight suit and an F-15 intake... no... wait... that's another friend....

Carry on...

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

High on the list is meeting Elmer Ward in 1987 and making a trip to Chino in 1988 for a ride in Man 'O War. Still have the tape (now on a DVD).
                    Jay Smith

Comment

92 cockpit checkout in White Lighnin' by the man himself!

2000 - first year I had a ramp pass (working for John Collver when he still did the T6 rides) I still have the ramp pass

2002 - first year without my ex-husband dragging me down!!!!!

Comment

Or it could be the 20 plus years sitting in Section 2 watching and listening to all the anticks that Section "3" has been doing. Lots of good laughs in the stands. Or my Bro and friend meeting Jimmy (F117 driver)at Circus Circus and buying him and his team a drink in 2002. Then they took care of use the rest of the night. I found out that Jimmy does not wait in lines or when he wants a drink his table get a drink. Great stories and watching Jimmy lick his F117 decals on all the ladies but thats another story. It was good to see how our tax dollars really work.
                        Jay Smith

Comment

WHAT!!! Dasher's never had a Lickety Split decal licked on?

Comment

Originally posted by race9
                            First year, '05, ridding in the fire truck after winning the bronze on Sunday.
                            I'll have to second this post, fire truck rides are gooood.

Comment

1) Dago does 500. I know this is sort of a controvercial subject, but I was on the fence that day and it was about the most awesomest run I've ever seen.

2) Brought out a friend a few years back who had never been to the races. He was sceduled to come out the next day, but managed to sneak out to our spot on the fence for the last race of the day on Sat. I'll never forget his reaction to his first pass. He got real nervous and starting clutching his chair as they rounded 6. As they got closer and closer, he sank lower and lower untill they were right on top of us. "Holy Chit!" He stood there with his mouth open for the rest of the race and showed up before me the next day.
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

How about the F4 in the Heritage flight...

I know a bunch of RF4 drivers were all misty over it.
                                The last of the manly warbirds......

Breaks my heart every time I see one of them get shot down as drone targets. Seems like shooting your draft horse because you bought a new tractor.

Comment

Working...
                                X