Shockwave....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shockwave....

I remember reading sometime last year he was looking for sponsorship to complete her.. Too bad, Sure would look good in my backyard though. :P Oh, does anyone have any drawings or such of what the completed aircraft would've looked like? wee bit curious.

Comment

Anyone got thoughts of where Mike Brown might end up? I'm thinkin way fast if he goes for the straight shot.

Comment

I saw a pic of a model of Shockwave some years back. Gimme a sec...

(searching for photo*)

Ah, here you go Robert. Scroll down to the photo/post by Jeff Williams...

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

Comment

Shockwave was designed for a 4360. How about a 3350? Design limitations?

Reever

Comment

WHAT IS THE DIMENSIONS , WEIGHT , PROP AND "GENERIC RACE READY''

COMARATIVE SPECS ON THESE TWO MOTORS. (FOR SHOCK WAVE)

HAD A FRIEND WHO FLEW NEPTUNES WAY BACK AND SAID THAT THE 3350 WERE RATEAT 4000 PONIES WITH THE TURBO COPOUND GIVING LONGER RANGE.

WHAT WOULD LYLE'S RECORD RUNS 3 KM AND OR ALITITUDE RECORDS.... BEST GUESS POWER RATINGS BE?????

BMarsh

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
              What happened to truth in advertising?
              Farce. Non-existent. Ruse.

I WORK in advertising. Lies. All lies.
              SSGFX, The Wonder Artist

9one8.net

Throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Comment

Didn't some of the World war two types hit speeds close to supersonic in dive testing, the P-47 comes to mind.

Maybe 600 mph is a structural number like 600 = Vne.

Just some thoughts, as I have not read the context of the ad

Comment

Originally posted by Warren_C
                  Didn't some of the World war two types hit speeds close to supersonic in dive testing, the P-47 comes to mind.

Maybe 600 mph is a structural number like 600 = Vne.

Just some thoughts, as I have not read the context of the ad
                  Mmmm, compressibility in "power dives" and stick "set in concrete" comes to mind for P-47 evasive action WW-II stories -- wish I could quickly quote a source for ya! Calling the "geek squad"!
                  Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                  World Speed Record Holder

Comment

cool thanks for posting the news

Comment

I think the P-38 was the first to really have an issue with compressibility. The early models could be deadly in a split S as they would build speed quickly in a dive and become uncontrollable. If you were lucky it would hold together till you got into denser air and got control back. If not the tail would come off or you would simply run out of air. Several test pilots were also lost trying to fix it. It was'nt until the J model that they fit dive flaps on the bottom of the wings that both slowed the plane and changed the airflow to remove the threat.
                      They actually were'nt that close to supersonic but some localized airflow was.
                      I have read that the Spitfire, Mustang and P-47 also had issues with it but nothing as severe as the Lightning.
                      If you hav'nt read about it, the development history of the P-38 is fascinating.
                      Geeky enough?
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Don't even get me started on the myth that 4360s can't be hot-rodded...

Geekdom could prevail.

Of course theres Y2K...

Now this is no s&!t!....
                        Jerry Beck II
                        Director of Photography
                        1st. Asst. Director
                        Thunder Over Reno

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                          I think the P-38 was the first to really have an issue with compressibility. The early models could be deadly in a split S as they would build speed quickly in a dive and become uncontrollable. If you were lucky it would hold together till you got into denser air and got control back. If not the tail would come off or you would simply run out of air. Several test pilots were also lost trying to fix it. It was'nt until the J model that they fit dive flaps on the bottom of the wings that both slowed the plane and changed the airflow to remove the threat.
                          They actually were'nt that close to supersonic but some localized airflow was.
                          I have read that the Spitfire, Mustang and P-47 also had issues with it but nothing as severe as the Lightning.
                          If you hav'nt read about it, the development history of the P-38 is fascinating.
                          Geeky enough?
                          In talking with Tony LeVeir and doing some research while restoring a couple of P-38's when I worked for Hinton, I learned it was an airflow problem which created the Lightning's problem. At high speeds turbulent airflow would push up on the horizontal forcing the nose down. At higher altitudes the aircraft would continue to accelerate. Tails separated when recovery was manhandled with elevator input. As you descended into denser air the aircraft would slow on its own allowing you to recover without pulling the tail off. The solution was a small dive recovery flap about 2 feet long hinged to the spar outboard of the nacelle. It would slow you down, increase lift and pitch the nose up to allow you to control the dive recovery. Earlier Lockheed had added leading edge fillets to smooth the airflow and reduce the turbulence where the wing and fuselage met. The maintenance book gave specific instructions on how much of a gap was allowed between the roll up window and the fillet. The POH told you not to fly with the side windows down as it would affect the flying characteristics. Tony said a lot of work and dangerous flying went into solving the problem.
                          Rich

Comment

Best we ever saw with our 3350 was 4186HP at 5,000" (on the torque meter) Slack says they used nitrous on the 3KM run, we never had it. I don't think 3800HP is a stretch for a properly prepared 3350 built from the right parts.

Originally posted by Bill Marsh
                            WHAT IS THE DIMENSIONS , WEIGHT , PROP AND "GENERIC RACE READY''

COMARATIVE SPECS ON THESE TWO MOTORS. (FOR SHOCK WAVE)

HAD A FRIEND WHO FLEW NEPTUNES WAY BACK AND SAID THAT THE 3350 WERE RATEAT 4000 PONIES WITH THE TURBO COPOUND GIVING LONGER RANGE.

WHAT WOULD LYLE'S RECORD RUNS 3 KM AND OR ALITITUDE RECORDS.... BEST GUESS POWER RATINGS BE?????

BMarsh

Comment

Originally posted by TOR_DP
                              Don't even get me started on the myth that 4360s can't be hot-rodded...
                              ANYTHING can be hot-rodded. But can a corncob survive more than a few minutes at "hang on to your a$$, Fred" manifold pressures without twisting the engine in half or breaking a master rod/bearing? I think that was what my comment alluded to.

Deadnot is bitchin' fast up to a certain speed...and it can run at that speed all day. But you go much more than that, and engine goes tango uniform. I think Papa Frank found this out when he turned Neil loose at Reno '84 and Bakersfield '85. After that, they kept the wick turned down...and it's been doing the Energizer Bunny impression ever since.

Comment

Incidentally (and interestingly), it was recently stated by a certain Sea Fury racer that the Buick handles a lot like a DC-3 with a better power-weight ratio (!!!) Makes ya think.
                                _________
                                -Matt
                                Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Working...
                                X