Originally posted by wingman
      What happened to my poor thread????
      Hi Neal,
      Welcome to the land of the thread jackers
      http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
      http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Re: Warning! Hazardous to....

Middle of the year, the attention span shortens and the mind wanders.
        Too little Air Race stimuli...
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

What happened to my poor thread????

AHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

HI Jacked Again

I really love your work......and your photos are pretty good too

Comment

HAWK ROAR IN TRIUMPH !!!

Hanging with John Paul and his wife Sue bring back some of the real good times at Reno and of my Chino days.
            My 1st road trip as a 17 year old was flying with Mike Demarino in the Museums O-47 (not P, I said O) up to Livermore and spending the night on the floor there. We watched Bob Love's gun camera footage from the Korean War with him giving the verbal as the projector played. The one mig that he chased through the clouds and he popped out just in time to see the mig run into the ground and he just had a few feet left to spare as he pulled out really made me realize it was difficult out there playing pilot in a war. We listened to John and Tom Camp tell dirty jokes.
            I remember listening to Fred Sebby talk of putting a needle in the carb jet of his car to improve his mileage so he had more money to spend on flying.
            Rich

Comment

Many memories indeed -- I must be getting old... (cranky too, but that's off topic)

John Paul behind the wheel:

Comment

Many memories indeed -- I must be getting old... (cranky too, but that's off topic)

John Paul behind the wheel:

Guessing from the weather, that must be 1989?

Comment

Very good, Speed -- your total geek score is holding up well! Goss is fading fast -- hardly pipes up at all any more...

John Paul IMO is one of the real relatively unsung heroes of the modern warbird movement. 40 years ago when nobody cared John was hauling his trailer all over North America scrounging discarded bits and pieces of P-40s (even dug a bunch of corroded junk out of some farmer's feedlot or something as I remember). There's hardly a P-40 restoration anywhere that doesn't have bits and pieces, fittings, etc. bought or traded from John's accumulations. He made a real difference for those of us who love P-40s.

He will be in the news, though, when the P-51C finally gets done! I've been watching various versions of this thing under construction (was originally an -A model or A-36 but John really wanted a -C so traded around for Merlin Mustang stuff -- I've heard that most of the original Allison project is with Kermit) ever since I found out that Warbirds exist. I remember seeing the fuse (or one of them) in Mike Bogue's Hangar 5 operation in Oakland way back in the 1970s. Anyway the -C should be really very nice.

John's been kind of out of the news since moving up to Idaho, and not airshowing the Hawks as much, but he does deserve recognition and thanks...

Comment

here is one my dad took at an air show in the 70's Shawn
                    Attached Files

Comment

Very Nice Wingman.... My Dad thought so as well.

Comment

Mornin John, and your Dad too!

Didn't know (or had forgotten) that you looked in over here -- otherwise I wouldn't have been so nice!

Neal

Comment

Tom Camp p-40 Shawn
                          Attached Files

Comment

I think we packed a lunch for Steve to eat during that race.

Comment

Anyone ever seen photos of the P-40 modified by Bob Downey back in the 1960's? I've only seen one, and that in itself was a surprise, because it is the only time I have EVER heard of a 'race modified' P-40. NO, JCP...a tailwind on a windy day does not constitute 'modified'.

The photo I saw showed something that looked like a Rutan Vari-Eze canopy (years ahead of its time) grafted onto the turtledeck, and I think the wingtip caps were removed too.

Not sure what the Ole Tiger was thinking....that barn door of a radiator scoop sort of limits top end speed no matter what you do to the rest of the airframe.

Vic's dad seems to have been pretty good about shooting 'odds & ends' from the 50's and '60's. Got anything in the collection, Victor?

Comment

Brad, there is a picture of that bied on Ailrliners.net. I'll try to find it again later and post the link.

Comment

Working...
                                X