Bad Movies - Borat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad Movies - Borat!

Randy, not withstanding my mostly tongue in cheek statement that got you going..

I still maintain that Borat was tastless, disgusting and an insult to the USA and everyone in it..

Just my opinion, and I'm stickin to it...

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Guess I'm getting old too cause "Borat" has to be one of the biggest wastes of DVD technology to come around Since "Talladaege Nights"
      blacksheep
      Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

Comment

Easy on the age thing guys. I just turned 50! LOL! And I bought a Harley. No midlife crisis here though. I always wanted one and now I can afford it!!!!!!!!!!!

There are times when I see stuff on tv, and everyone else in the room is laughing, and I'm sitting there thinking how stupid it is. And I think I'm losing my sense of humor. Comedy has changed. It seems to be crueler and looking for more shock value than before.

Then I go back and watch a movie that offended MANY people, "Blazing Saddles". And I laugh my head off.

Or, I see some movies that are just plain silly but great for a laugh. "RV" and "Wild Hoggs". Funny movies.

Reever

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
          I still maintain that Borat was tastless, disgusting and an insult to the USA and everyone in it..

Just my opinion, and I'm stickin to it...

Fair 'nuff!

Comment

To Randy Haskin.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
              instead of the loud guy at the end of the bar that everyone wishes would just go home.

Sometimes its hard being the know-it-all.......

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                Sometimes its hard being the know-it-all.......
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

!!!!! COME ON SEPTEMBER !!!!!

lets all meet and celebrate our differences

and then

Comment

There has got to be a Michael Schumacher joke in there somewhere ChixFly2...

On the subject of Borat... It has done what it was supposed to do. Aside from make money...

There are two questions that MUST be answered before any production:

1. Who is the audience? (You cannot say everyone!)
                    2. What do you want the target audience to remember when they push stop/get up from the theater. (You get 1 thing ONLY)

In the case of Borat the answer to Question1 is 18-24 year old males. There will be those outside of the age/sex bracket in question, but the target audience is 18-24 year old males.

The answer to question 2 is two fold in Borat's case:

a. The target audience will have been entertained at the end using tools effective on them.

b. Those outside the target audience by 20 years plus should be offended thereby making the case for "a." above even stronger to the target audience.

There are always exceptions... Somewhere there is a 55 year old Female who thinks Borat rocks.(!) IMHO they also probably wear too much pink and still think Hello Kitty is a pretty good idea....

Not that I don't like pink or waving felines! Just in the right setting.

DO NOT ASK ME ABOUT TOR's 2 QUESTIONS!

I cannot answer due to my contract with Aviset. It is (sadly) privledged information.

Someday we'll consume adult beverages and laugh about the times we had with TOR... Probably 43 seconds after the premiere.
                    Jerry Beck II
                    Director of Photography
                    1st. Asst. Director
                    Thunder Over Reno

Comment

Hey Randy,

Thank you, thank you for your great post about why a lotta people don't get Borat. Best move of the year I think, but that wrestling thing... wow I prolly won't watch it again either...

Most of the world does see us as arrogant bullies, and most Americans don't get that. It's partly because of US policies abroad, but to some extent applies to the goofball American stuff too on an individual level, the stuff Borat pokes fun at. Some people just don't get that invading other countries and plotting to assasinate foreign leaders we don't like is arrogant, but we've been doin' it for many years. But doin stuff like that makes us more fun than anyone to rip on, cuz what else can people around the world do?

I was surprised as heck to see your post as an active USAF guy, cuz you guys are the real ambassadors of the US, and if you can see the world that way, you're a good one. We need a lot more like ya.

Thanks man!

Chris G.
                      Extra 300

Comment

Well.... as long as we are bein' all "movie critic" and all in another thread.. and since the "star" of the movie I'm about to rip is on the screen in front of me with Conan right now..
                        I did not see the BORAT movie. I saw Conan OŽBrien show last time two nights ago with the episode about inventing a new coin...Scmickel...40 000 schmickels would be one cent.

I was LMAO !

There would be no poor people with no money after that...since scmickel was a soda bottle cap.

I think we'll go to see The Queen before Borat...Borat is on DVD here too.
                        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well.... as long as we are bein' all "movie critic" and all in another thread.. and since the "star" of the movie I'm about to rip is on the screen in front of me with Conan right now..

Did anyone here manage to make it through that POS of POS's BORAT???
                          I have to confess that I will not even try. I can already tell its one of those "I'm gonna act REAL stupid and some of the audience will laugh uncontrollably" movies, kinda like most Will Farrell movies. "Anchorman" and "Elf" being notable exceptions- other than that I can't STAND Will Farrell. "Talledega Nights" had about 2 funny scenes (both involving the snooty F1 driver, not Farrell) and was the biggest disappointment I've ever seen. That stuff just doesn't make me laugh anymore- its too much like the Tonight Show "Jaywalking" bit where they get people to say dumb stuff on camera, or "Are you smarter than a 5th grader." On the whole its gotten to where that kind of humor is about as funny to me as "Police Academy 37" or whatever the last one was.

Its actually hard for me to put my finger on exactly what makes Farrell and Borat so stupid and non-funny to me as opposed to the fact that I still laugh my arse off at Peter Sellers as Clouseau or John Cleese as Basil Fawlty. I think if I had to distill it down, there's an intelligent way to create a character with exaggerated dumb behavior and be funny, and then there's just being an average 3rd-grade class clown.

Comment

Originally posted by TOR_DP
                            \ there is a 55 year old Female who thinks Borat rocks.(!) IMHO they also probably wear too much pink and still think Hello Kitty is a pretty good idea...

Oh God. Now I'm going to spend HOURS clawing at my eyeballs trying to get that mental image out of my head.

Comment

Now if we sift through my original and subsequent posts, Randy's and yours... we get to the point that I can express my true opinion...

One... As stated, I thought the movie was stupid and unnecessairly just plain gross... "my manpussy"? Surely, not necessary to stoop that low to get the "ugly American" point across..

The portrayal of the people of Kahazistan <sp?> was also unnecessary...

Was that part to make an example of how most American's think of the rest of the world?

I certainly don't think those folks were stupid, they are totally unfortunate in that their situation never let them have any better life than they have.. Hardly makes us good American's to laugh at them does it?

So.. I do agree with Randy, truthfully, played a bit of "devil's advocate" with this one.. I really don't think this movie was what is necessary to make the point, however..

However you see us playing our role in the world, Borat didn't make me any more socially or internationally concious..

So anyway..

Play on..

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

After much talking with brother Belo....Borat make responce to critics

High-five

Comment

Working...
                                X