F-14's siezed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: F-14's siezed

I don't agree with what's going on but food for thought....

Could the powers that be have a bit more in mind than the direct threat that these planes might be to us?

A distinct -what if- is applied here but "what if" the Iranians were able to field even one supersonic airplane capable of carrying whatever nuke they might eventually develop?

Could our intel guys be reacting (read, overreacting) to this potential threat to one of Iran's neighbors? Might there be some pressure from one or more of those neighbors to do *something*...

As an aside, aren't there some cases in the past where the government's published stance was circumvented and obsolete warbirds in private hands exported to foreign governments?

Don't get me wrong, I dont' like what's going on any more than the rest.. just serving up a platter of delicious, non-nutritious, "food for thought"..

Flameon!!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I call BS.
      If Iran has Su-27s that they do have spares and support for and build their own fighter the Saeqeh, how much differance is a beater old F14A going to make?

The US has been cutting up lots of planes for odd reasons for a long time now.

Check for yourselves.

Comment

Sure wish that all you armchair intel officers could be there with me when I have to go up against the IRIAF Tomcats on night 1 of the war. When I see them on my radar, I'll have to repeat to you a famous Robin Olds quote:

"Don't worry...I have it on good authority that this isn't happening."

Talk is cheap when it's not your pink a$$ on the line.

For my dollar, I'm NEVER going to underestimate the capabilities of a potential enemy.

Again, none of this has anything to do with the "de-mil frenzy" in my opinion. I think that whole affair is just ridiculous, and indicative of the near paranoid atmoshpere the the Homeland Security craze has descended us into.

If Iran is anything like the Iraq war machine, what in the world do we have to fear.
        I'd be glad to sit down with you someday and show you video of me nearly meeting my maker thanks to a SAM over Iskandiriyah, Iraq on 31 March 2003.

Perhaps YOU didn't have anything to fear during the invasion of Iraq while sitting at home in California. I, however, had a slightly different view.

This has NEVER been about the question of if the US military would win a military encounter with Iran. The question IS, "at what cost." When that cost is your squadronmates' lives, that is a very dear cost. If there are ways to reduce that cost, it's worth it in my opinion...up to a point.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
          When I see them on my radar, I'll have to repeat to you a famous Robin Olds quote:

Not to drag this off topic but I got word the other day that Gen. Olds was in the hospital and not doing well... I've have been trying to keep track of Robin's condition... with some success...

What I read did not sound good...

Certainly one hell of a guy!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
            Missie....

Didn't you fly those bad boys in your hey day?
            And since I know what you do now - I'll assume you have some insight into this subject.

Hey, can you beat an F-5 by doing a 3g inverted roll?(or something like that)

Comment

Sure wish that all you armchair intel officers could be there with me when I have to go up against the IRIAF Tomcats on night 1 of the war. When I see them on my radar, I'll have to repeat to you a famous Robin Olds quote:

Talk is cheap when it's not your pink a$$ on the line.

For my dollar, I'm NEVER going to underestimate the capabilities of a potential enemy.

I'd be glad to sit down with you someday and show you video of me nearly meeting my maker thanks to a SAM over Iskandiriyah, Iraq on 31 March 2003.

Perhaps YOU didn't have anything to fear during the invasion of Iraq while sitting at home in California. I, however, had a slightly different view.

This has NEVER been about the question of if the US military would win a military encounter with Iran. The question IS, "at what cost." When that cost is your squadronmates' lives, that is a very dear cost. If there are ways to reduce that cost, it's worth it in my opinion...up to a point.
              Uhh Hacker -

Posted 9/23/2006

Re: OT: Tomcat Has Left The Building

Looking forward to painting a green/white/red Tomgrape silhouette on the side of my jet, should international circumstance dictate...
              As a newly certified 1N1, I like your 2007 attitude much better. Your Squadron Intel weenies are there to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by fenceliner01
                As a newly certified 1N1, I like your 2007 attitude much better.
                Present discussion notwithstanding, I'm still looking forward to painting the silhouette/roundel on the side of the jet.

Comment

Originally posted by fenceliner01
                  Hey, can you beat an F-5 by doing a 3g inverted roll?(or something like that)
                  Eh..wasn't it -10 negative G push over ? If we were talking about great entertainment flying movie.
                  http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
                    Eh..wasn't it -10 negative G push over ? If we were talking about great entertainment flying movie.
                    details.....

Comment

Present discussion notwithstanding, I'm still looking forward to painting the silhouette/roundel on the side of the jet.
                      Randy - Ran across this quote after posting last night.. seemed like an appropriate companion to your initial comments.

"Idealism increases in direct proportion to one's distance from the problem." - John Galsworthy

reachback sucks - glad I'm back in ops again

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
                        Don't know about that - but he does play a mean game of volleyball while singing "You've lost that loving feelin'!"
                        "beach" volleyball?

Lets just hope Meg Ryan doesn't show up or Goose will be cooked.

Comment

Can the Top Gun Chatter....please????

Please, please, please stop the madness. Enough already with the Top Gun stuff.

I made the mistake of showing my son Hot Shots a few weeks ago. That made him want to go back and watch Top Gun again...and now he is on a Top Gun kick....playing Danger Zone and Mighty Wings on his stereo. He really thinks that its 'normal' to go into the O-Club at Miramar dressed in your whites and serenade your female instructors. He really thinks that pushing FORWARD on the throttles is what makes the wings and brakes pop out on a Tomcat (so the bad guy will just fly right on by...). And he thinks that all Naval Aviators play beach volleyball all tanned, hot, sweaty, and shirtless.

Kids too young to remember his dad and the 'reality' of being a Navy pilot. If I had ever gone into the old man's office, dropped my wings on the table, and said "I've lost the edge, sir....I'm hanging on too tight.", my skipper would have laughed me out of the building.

Crap, I SAW my squadron mates playing volleyball in the sand way too many times...creamy white bodies with 'Aviators Tan' forearms, and bellies as big as mine bouncing up and down as they unsuccessfully dove for the ball. Its just not pretty.

And now you people are doing nothing but encouraging him......

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
                            Least that is if they have the help of a Czech designed radar system that can 'see' your Invisi-Jet

Yeah, and a leaked copy of the classified Air Tasking Order, so the SAM operator knew where he would be and when. That always helps.

Comment

"Can the chatter", Brad? You channelling a little bit of Bill Tracy there??

Sorry guys, inside joke.

Comment

Ya mean Top Gun isn't real? : )
                                I've never been a naval aviator.
                                I've never been in the service.
                                Closest I came was a dependents cruise on the U.S.S. Ranger when she was returning from Desert Storm.
                                The ONLY thing I saw in Top Gun that was true (from my perspective) was the arrogance of the pilots (something Tom Cruise actually portrays well). I thought, gee, these guys are full of themselves. Then I spent the better part of 3-4 hours on the LSO platform watching landings, launches and deck ops.
                                They are entitled to be arrogant and full of themselves...You couldn't pay me to do what they thought was fun.
                                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                                X