Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speaking of Bearcats...

Originally posted by tomy2gunn
    Nice pic of the Bear. See the patch on the guy (looks like john again)in the cockpit, I still have mine.
    Tommy,
    The guy with the patch is Dad, I'm over by the left aileron.
    John Slack

Comment

Glorious aircraft, created and supported by amazing people.
      _________
      -Matt
      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

hey Tom...

Are you in the pic of "Da Bear" at Mojave? I was only 12 back then but I remember the belly landing.
        Rob
        Merlins are cool
        But Radials rule!
        And jets just make noise

Comment

Rob

Yepper I was there , Im in the pic you should be able to see me..I also have a Pic of the Bear sliding down the runway....Sparks and all ..

Comment

So you guys think she looked a little "rough" in 1980??

John -- would that be Chris Wood in the yellow t-shirt?

Edit: The board does not want to take this image -- will try again later...

Neal

Comment

OK, I think this will work???
              Attached Files

Comment

Okay Tom.....which one are you?
                Rob
                Merlins are cool
                But Radials rule!
                And jets just make noise

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                  OK all you Rare Bear fans and historians, here's a little quiz. Who is the rather unkempt, serious-looking young man in this picture? The photo was obviously taken a couple of years back -- he was a fairly important part of the program at one time, but has not had much involvement in recent years.

As always, Speed Goss and Shawn excluded for now. I think we'll also have to exclude BellcobraIV for now, as I know he'll know the answer -- he does have an unfair advantage since he was part of the team around that time...

Neal
                  Oh my God!!!! Its a young John Slack!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson
                    Oh my God!!!! Its a young John Slack!!!!
                    Matt,
                    Hey pal, your the same age as me! Keep your turns down and don't overboost, don't pull that I can't be as old you cr*p. I was there I know your my age, I've already endured the story from you about your encounter with a Doctor and a Borescope! Did you read the post about "Z"?

Speaking of which, Neal you must have a picture of a young Matt Jackson? I've seen the Flintstones, I know all about the birds inside the little box that would carve out the image. It's Matt's turn to play
                    John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                      So you guys think she looked a little "rough" in 1980??

John -- would that be Chris Wood in the yellow t-shirt?

Edit: The board does not want to take this image -- will try again later...

Neal
                      I'm pretty sure that is Chris Wood, But I have to ask did you start a file on the stellar moments of 1980?

This one I remember well, Chris and I started walking back to the truck, we get there and one of the guys asks "how much oil did it take?" and another one says "Didn't you check the oil?" Chris and I finally got to the point of "Who checked the oil?" With Chris now going for a second truck and heading down the ramp, I make a bee-line to Don Whittington who is about fifty yards away with a hand held. I ask Don if he'll ask Lyle to come back off the runway the crew isn't sure if the oil is at a safe level. Don says "No way that's your job" hands me the handheld and I made the call, Lyle can't be quoted here but he was HOT!!!!! Taxied back in and took 10 Gallons. That was the last time the Bear went out without a checklist being followed and Lyle held a crew "Meating, not Meeting right after"
                      John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                        I make a bee-line to Don Whittington who is about fifty yards away with a hand held. I ask Don if he'll ask Lyle to come back off the runway the crew isn't sure if the oil is at a safe level. Don says "No way that's your job" hands me the handheld
                        I'm surprised that Don didn't make some sort of smart-a$$ remark over the radio to Lyle first......

Comment

As a little kid who arrived at Mojave only to see his favorite airplane with a curled prop and not flying, I was devastated. Didn't get to see the Bear fly until 2003.

Thanks for all the reminiscing. This is one of the best threads ever.
                          No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                          http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                            I'm surprised that Don didn't make some sort of smart-a$$ remark over the radio to Lyle first......
                            No, Don made the smart a$$ remark to me first, he wanted no part of Lyle on that one believe me. That situation had a specific gravity of 2X spent uranium.

Lyle didn't think it was funny in the least to be called off the runway after the run-up because nobody knew how much oil was in the plane.

That is just one of the many reasons I refer to 1980 as the Year of the Circus. It was both a very emberassing and very learning year for me and others as well.
                            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                              That is just one of the many reasons I refer to 1980 as the Year of the Circus. It was both a very emberassing and very learning year for me and others as well.
                              One of those "Clampett Racing" moments, eh? I've had a few of those racing boats with my son.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                                One of those "Clampett Racing" moments, eh? I've had a few of those racing boats with my son.
                                At least the Clampett's had Elly Mae, in 1980 we would have been better off with Jeannie,..... Hey maybe that's why you can be gear up in a corn field one day, and the next week win Reno. They had Jeannie!
                                John Slack

Comment

Working...
                                X