Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EAA ASKS - WHAT IS THE GREATEST AVIATION MOVIE OF ALL TIME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EAA ASKS - WHAT IS THE GREATEST AVIATION MOVIE OF ALL TIME?

The High and the Mighty, (1954) is a story by Ernest Gann, directed by William Wellman. It was nominated for 6 oscars and won 1. Pretty inovative for its time. The "Airport" series was a knockoff, typical Hollywood wait 15-20 years and re-package the story.

The scene where Whisting Dan (the Duke) slaps the Capt (Stack) for lack of better judgement, is classic. This scene has been played in probably every college Cockpit Resource Management course and probably many an airline during recurrent/upgrade/CRM class.

I think the more interesting Gann/Wellman/Wayne movie is "Island in the Sky" (1953). It is the story transport plane (C-47) which crash-lands in the frozen wastes of Labrador, and the plane's pilot, Dooley (Wayne), must keep his men alive in deadly conditions while waiting for rescue.

Comment

12 O'clock High got 2 Oscars.
      http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

From the list I would have to choose "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines"

Otherwise how about Harold Hughes "Hells Angels"
        Probably one of the most expensive films ever made when converted to modern doller values. A bit unlucky that he had to remake it to allow for the changing technology of cinema at the time.

Comment

I recently watched a movie with James Stewart as an engineer who believed an airliner had a fatal flaw and set out to prove it. Can't remember the name of it, and did'nt DVR it. Should have, it was good.
          How about "Fate is the Hunter"? A good movie also. THAT one I have somewhere.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I am surprised strategic Air Command with James Stewart wasn't on the list, great air to air shots of the very elegant B-47. Interesting story line and June Allison. But of the ones on the list Twelve O'Clock High and the Great Waldo Pepper are my favorites.

If you watch the original Iron Eagle, in the old hangar that they hang out in you will notice a literal truck load of Bearcat parts in the background scenes, Some sporty looking producer girl came by the hangar one day and after a visit looking at the spare parts for the Bear talked me into asking Lyle if they could rent the spares. So the spares made some money that year.
            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
              If you watch the original Iron Eagle, in the old hangar that they hang out in you will notice a literal truck load of Bearcat parts in the background scenes, Some sporty looking producer girl came by the hangar one day and after a visit looking at the spare parts for the Bear talked me into asking Lyle if they could rent the spares. So the spares made some money that year.
              ....ahh...that wafting, sweet smell.....that lilting smile......' sure lady, ya' mean these parts?!'
              Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Working...
              X