Stiletto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stiletto?

Cool plane. So, how long could it fly with the the boil-off system...45 min?

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the former Stiletto canopy is in Ione at Mike Bogue's former hangar (behind the B-23). At least that's where I last saw it approx. 3 years ago...

SA

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
        are the only people in unlimited racing to have a run a total loss cooling system and shown it as an advantage.
        For the uneducated, what exactly is "a total loss cooling system"?

What sort of a cooling system that Stilleto was using, compared to other aircraft. Sure the radiators were in the wings, but was that the only difference.

Comment

Stiletto was originally built after the Anson Johnson racer from the 40's. It had wing radiators and was the model for the original Stiletto design. This however was changed when Bruce Lockwood and the guys from the MOF removed the wing radiators and installed the total boil off system. Essencially they submerged the radiator in a tub and allowed the heat of the engine to be ejected through the process of boiling off as steam. The Germans had perfected this in the late 30's and it worked excellent. They essencially eliminating all air over the radiator and having no scoops with the exception of the carb inlet. The aircraft used less water boiling during a race then the current mustangs spay over the radiators now. In 1992 I think I used 60 gallons. It also had the same range cross country as a stock P51 as you would run out of fuel before running out of boiler water. The problem was having to fill with water at each fuel stop, just another step to go fly. This is still the ideal cooling method for a liquid cooled race plane however and would certainly provide great speed gains for the likes of Dago, Strega and any other race mustang for that matter. The issue however is money, time and desire. By the looks of the current situation in racing, it won't be long before the unlimiteds will be arriving from the Sport class. It will be like the 30's all over again.

Comment

In addition to Matt's excellent answer above, it should be said that the German system used surface coolers on the wings that actually condensed the steam by cooling it and converted it back to water refilling their tank. But as Matt said there was already enough range in the Stiletto racer to function just fine.
            John Slack

Comment

Matt,

How about some words about Mr. Awsome?
              How did it fly?
              Did it have a boil off system for the oil?

TJ

Comment

Thank you for those incredible posts Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson
                  By the looks of the current situation in racing, it won't be long before the unlimiteds will be arriving from the Sport class. It will be like the 30's all over again.
                  Personally I would love to see that adding some more designs and variety in there.

Thanks for the answers. To me it seems to me to be the best cooling system (more aerodynamic, less weight with less water to carry etc), I'm surprised other racers haven't tried it.

Maybe there's a Sports Class racer out there it could be used on.

Comment

Awesome had a boiler on the oil cooler, Daryl Greenamyer had one on Conquest 1. Mike Browns racer Sept Fury sports one on his oil system. there is nothing better then a stable temp on oil and coolant systems. Its really very simple.

Comment

to echo others comments, thank you from way down under for the insights, im sure as heck going to make it to reno one day
                      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by Smee Again
                        Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the former Stiletto canopy is in Ione at Mike Bogue's former hangar (behind the B-23). At least that's where I last saw it approx. 3 years ago...

SA
                        I think you are refering to the canopy from "Sumthin Else" Mikey

Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 03-02-2007, 02:38 AM.
                        Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
                          You mean they butchered it! It wasn't really stock in the first place, and I never got to see it

Jarrod
                          Jarrod,
                          You are right, very few will ever know the depths of what Stiletto really was, the weight reduction on that plane was terrific, Even to the point of Rick Shanholtzer using a hand starter adapter to start it. Lots of Magnesium

Shouldn't there be a canopy museum somewhere? like next to the Jacket Museum or Tee-shirt museum?
                          John Slack

Comment

Wow! this has to rank among my all time favorite threads, one of the others being the discussion years ago about the Critical Mach of the Rare Bear's wing and handling at high speeds.

Stiletto is very much missed; what an interesting and radically beautiful racer.

Were the Stiletto wings filled and profiled in it's latter days?

Would love to see the '92 Stiletto wing tips used by Leeward on GG.

Comment

Working...
                            X