Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Hollywood Aviation scene of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Best Hollywood Aviation scene of all time?

[QUOTE=speeddemon]
    Originally posted by MustangFan
    when everything slows down and you see the Mustang rolling in...getting closer...Jim's eyes lock on the pilot..and just as he passes, he looks RIGHT AT THE KID and waves...

QUOTE]

I have heard or read opinions before that that scene doesn't REALLY happen....that its Jim's imagination that the pilot waves at him, because as soon as the pilot waves, the scene cuts back to the Mustang screaming past, canopy closed. Some people think that Jim is so enthralled (HORSEPOWER!) by what he is witnessing, that he hallucinates the pilot waving at him (hence the slow motion sequence) as it goes past.

Regardless, I'm with you.
    So I've been thinking about this, and I coincidentally bought the EoS dvd from Amazon last week. I was trying to decide how to share the Mustang scene with my friends... should i make them watch the entire movie first, or just cut straight to the Mustang scene? I guess my real question is... do you need to be involved in the plot to REALLY appreciate the Mustang scene? Does it make it more poignant to have watched the movie up to that point, or could you equally appreciate the scene if you never had seen the earlier parts of the movie?????
    _________
    -Matt
    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

[QUOTE=MRussell]
      Originally posted by speeddemon
      So I've been thinking about this, and I coincidentally bought the EoS dvd from Amazon last week. I was trying to decide how to share the Mustang scene with my friends... should i make them watch the entire movie first, or just cut straight to the Mustang scene? I guess my real question is... do you need to be involved in the plot to REALLY appreciate the Mustang scene? Does it make it more poignant to have watched the movie up to that point, or could you equally appreciate the scene if you never had seen the earlier parts of the movie?????
      Matt - I would say you can certainly appreciate the Mustang scene without having seen the rest of the movie up to that point....BUT, you would appreciate the scene a whole lot more if you did watch the movie from the beginning. There are a couple of scenes earlier in the film which help explain why Jim reacts the way he does when he sees the P51....so I vote for making them watch the whole thing.
      Mark Johnson
      Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51
        Ray Hanna - the final touchdown.
        Mike51 - Thanks for posting those pics. Very cool.

And speaking of Mr. Hanna, do you know if he was the pilot that performed the infamous Spitfire buzz job on Alain de Cadenet and his cameraman a few years back? Talk about low flying....
        Mark Johnson
        Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Here is the F-14s vs Zeros scene from Final Countdown. On my lazerdisc version of the movie it talks about how the film crew mounted camera pods on the F-14's pylons against the advice of the Navy . When the fighters rode the the cat the cameras were ripped off and fell into the ocean.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

you have to watch the whole clip to catch the whole dog fight.
          Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51
            Not quite correct. The accident report was inconclusive as to the cause of the loss of control on finals, but engine failure was ruled out.

Ray Hanna - the final touchdown.

I recall reading about it too. Something about the runway..turned too tight..too late to line up...something odd. I think he was bringing the plane to a show and plane stalled in the final. Maybe the new airstrip and ..could it be that tower did not give clear instructions...wonder if the accidend report is still around in the web ?

You can find a videoMark Hanna flying in Jarlsberg Norway at www.jfs.no
            http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan

Matt - I would say you can certainly appreciate the Mustang scene without having seen the rest of the movie up to that point....BUT, you would appreciate the scene a whole lot more if you did watch the movie from the beginning. There are a couple of scenes earlier in the film which help explain why Jim reacts the way he does when he sees the P51....so I vote for making them watch the whole thing.
              Thanks for the advice... that's how I'll do it.
              _________
              -Matt
              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

A little easier to find link to the video Juke was talking about... pretty freaking cool if you ask me
                Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                My Photos
                My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
                  ...wonder if the accidend report is still around in the web ?

Someone posted a scan of it here. Scroll down a ways to find it:

Comment

Thanks Airdogge,

He flew to his own vortex funnel ?

Very sad and unsudden...like me half an hour ago pedalling to work...someones trailer with long boards just out of nothing slid on the walkway in a curve and back to the street in icy conditions..luckily 5 seconds before I was there pedalling. Had it been my sweetheart..she would have died if that trailer hit her.

S**t happens.

Comment

Originally posted by King
                      And that scene is what justified that to kill a slow moving tank you HAVE to have a slow moving aircraft. The F-18 would have been just too fast to kill a tank.

And Bob was using a V-tail Bonanza to chase Chris around in the tank.
                      King,

Yes, your are right on the Bonanza. It has been a while since I have seen the movie and I knew it was either a Mooney or Bonanza. I figured I had a 50/50 chance to get it right!

Any idea what Bob and Chris are up to now? Besides enjoying the indoor pool!

David

Comment

Originally posted by tonka1011
                        The "unplanned" Beaver on floats flip in the movie Motherload
                        ...at last, some one else that has seen the movie. They re-wrote the movie, to work in the crash sequence.
                        The begining flying sequence is pretty entertaining as well. Still a crappy movie though...

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by DPK2
                          Any idea what Bob and Chris are up to now? Besides enjoying the indoor pool!
                          David
                          Maybe building Defender II, that is how the show ended you know. I hope the Canadian Film Board is there filming.

I have a teleconference with Transport Canada in the morning on a certification project, I might just bring up ole' Bob and the Defender and see if they know about him.

Comment

The Turbo Porter scenes in "Never Cry Wolf".. Having spent some time in these rarely seen birds, it is one of my favorites pictures and aircraft...rgr...

Comment

How about the Air Cav. assault scene in Apocalypse Now.
                              Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
                                He flew to his own vortex funnel ?

Very sad and unsudden...
                                I meant to say SAD AND SUDDEN ( possibly tought about writing unpredictable...).

Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X