Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Hollywood Aviation scene of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Best Hollywood Aviation scene of all time?

Originally posted by zeke
    Dr Stangelove (only saw the part on youtube) &
    (for the fans out there, a guy riding a free fall nuclear weapon on it's way to impact, where did that idea come from? )
    The premise of the story is that an Air Force Col goes crazy because he is convinced that the Russkies are going to attack (precious bodily fluids....), so he launches his entire B-52 wing to nuke Russia. The movie is about the US and the Soviets trying to recall the strike when they figure out what has happened. They manage to recall all but one of the B-52's. The lone bomber is piloted by Slim Pickins. Its radio is damaged by the Russians attempting to shoot it down, so they never hear the 'recall' notice. I can't remember if it is a SAM or an air to air missile, but it also damages the mechanism that opens and closes the bomb bay doors.

So as they are getting closer to their initial point, they can't open the doors....and Slim takes off his crash helmet, puts on his cowboy hat, and goes "I'll be right back...I'm gonna try to get those doors to open."

Thats what you see in the You Tube clip. The BUFF is hurtling in towards the ICBM base that is their target, and he is straddling one of the bombs 'bronco' style, trying to fix the wiring for the bomb bay doors. Just as they get to the target, he fixes the wiring....and the doors open. He realizes that its too late for him to do anything...so he just holds on and rides her down.

Once THAT bomb explodes, then Dr. Strangelove's 'Doomsday Device' essentially sets off all the other Nukes around the world, and armageddon happens....all to the tune of "We'll meet again".

Some of the most morbid and biting political satire and anti-war sentiment ever put on film. 'Gentlemen...you can't fight in here, this is a War Room!'

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
      The premise of the story is that an Air Force Col goes crazy because he is convinced that the Russkies are going to attack (precious bodily fluids....),
      "I do not avoid women, Mandrake. But I do deny them my..... essence."

The lone er is piloted by Slim Pickins. Its radio is damaged by the Russians attempting to shoot it down, so they never hear the 'recall' notice. I can't remember if it is a SAM or an air to air missile, but it also damages the mechanism that opens and closes the bay doors.
      "Well, boys, we got three engines out, we got more holes in us than a horse trader's mule, the radio is gone and we're leaking fuel and if we was flying any lower why we'd need sleigh bells on this thing... but we got one little edge on them Rooskies. At this height why they might harpoon us but they dang sure ain't gonna spot us on no radar screen! "

The whole movie is about as full of good quotes as 'The Holy Grail.' And I've wasted about as many brain cells remembering them as I did on 'Grail,' too.

Comment

In 2004, I went to what was formerly known as a "capstone" at Nellis AFB..

Later in the evening at the O Club, having drinks with a B-52 crew, I asked if they'd ever seen Dr. Strangelove (REALLY dumb question)..

They instantly began acting out scenes from the movie..

Seen it!!!?

Hell.. THEY WERE LIVING IT!!

A VERY enjoyable evening with a very fine crew of USAF personell!

If I've posted this before.. chalk it up to a senior moment, I have CRAFT syndrome in my old age
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
          If I've posted this before.. chalk it up to a senior moment...
          Yeah........but at least you've got an excuse.

Comment

The premise of the story is that an Air Force Col goes crazy because he is convinced that the Russkies are going to attack .....
            Help's to know the story, makes more sense now. From the clip on youtube it just looked crazy.

And Wayne, it's good to hear that the guys who have that mission in real life have a good sense of humor. When you think of their mission, it is a rather daunting task.

Comment

Originally posted by zeke
              And Wayne, it's good to hear that the guys who have that mission in real life have a good sense of humor. When you think of their mission, it is a rather daunting task.
              Those guys were some of the "funnest" folks I've hung with in a while!

Their "mission" these days, I'm not sure continues to be "Strategic".. Hacker would prolly know more about that than I do but if I'm not mistaken, most -52's have been converted to mostly "conventional".. although... might not be at all true...

There was a lot of stuff they didn't let me see when we were given a "tour" of their airplane..

Hacker??

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

What about the Grumman Goose that winds up on the beach in Endless Summer II?

Still dont know if it was planned for the movie to crack that thing up or if the pilot lost control and they just happened to catch it on film.

Anyone remember that scene?
                "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

When I was a kid, Tallmantz aviation built a plane used in the movie 'Flight of the Phoenix' at Orange County Airport. http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/Mantz-P1.htm
                  I always thought the idea for that movie was really fascinating as a youngster seeing it. It was so long ago I didn't have (and still don't), much knowledge about aviation so how preposterous it might have been was of no consequence, I just liked it.
                  Anybody else remember that one?
                  Scott Adie
                  www.osgfx.com

Comment

I love the original "Flight of the Pheonix". If you watch it all the way thru the credits there is a nice tribute to Paul Mantz at the end of the credits.
                    After watching the remake a couple times now I actuall think its Ok. not anywhere near the first tho. The best part of the remake is the C-119 flying thru the desert in the opening to Johnny Cash's "I've been everywhere".
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
                      Thanks for the giggle!

And you guys say that I have too many smileys?

Thanx, & cool smiley there that you have. I'll try a few more (not for any reason)

:cword:
                      bomb
                      Fire
                      detonating

Comment

They didn't work, sorry guys

Comment

My favorite is the scene in "Flyers" (a IMAX movie) where a wing walker falls off and they dive a Stearman down to get the guy in free-fall. Really did it, and two takes...

Alarming in the waaaay big screen!
                          Jerry Beck II
                          Director of Photography
                          1st. Asst. Director
                          Thunder Over Reno

Comment

Originally posted by flyride
                            I just watched the Empire of the Sun sequence again and after all this time just noticed that when the P-51 flies by trailing smoke, it does not appear to have inboard gear doors! Anyone know the story?
                            I am pretty sure that it is because it is an R/C plane in that scene. There are a couple of shots where they use a scale Mustang.

Almost as 'disappointing' as noticing that Tugboat is at half flaps when he does that 'waving' pass. :-)

Comment

I am pretty sure that it is because it is an R/C plane in that scene. There are a couple of shots where they use a scale Mustang.

Almost as 'disappointing' as noticing that Tugboat is at half flaps when he does that 'waving' pass. :-)

Empire of the Sun they used big R/C model of a Mustang ( 1/4 or 1/3 ).
                              http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Still makes you want to cry.
                                _________
                                -Matt
                                Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Working...
                                X