Unlimited P-38 - Super Lightning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unlimited P-38 - Super Lightning

What really peeks my interest, i had a friend that was on the latest neptunes w/ 4000 hp .... 3350 and the it, the plane has a HUGE rudder. For me that champion of all motors were thees units with the turbo coumpound additions. .... sorrta the champion of the BSFC miserly fuel thing.... super long mission capability.

Did or could these 3350 s ever be fitted with the CW props

BMarsh

Comment

Zeke, I think the XP75 General Motors Eagle had counter rotating props driven by 2 Allison engines. It never went into production. Check with the Guru Randy Goss.
      Mary Robey

Comment

There were actually 11 (X)P-75s constructed. I believe that 6 were considered prototypes and 5 were production versions. The power plant was not two Allisons but rather a single Allison V-3420-23. this was a 24 cyl. "W" engine made up of two V-1710s on a common crankcase. The engine was mid mounted kind of like a P-39 or 63. The Air Force museum in Dayton has an example of the complete setup including the engine, propeller shafts and hub for the CR props

Comment

PS: The W3420 was tried in unlimited hydroplane racing without success. Does anyone out there with a hydro background have any more info on the motor?

Comment

Boats?

the B32 or B39? had those in line 24s .... with CR props... eye-dunno

BMarsh

Comment

Originally posted by garydpolansky
              It used Wright Tornado engines... G
              WOW! Now THAT powerplant makes a 4360 look like a 'cob-ette'!!!
              I kinda' wish jet technology waited a few more years......

BTW, Fantastic rendition, Mr. Archer! (I still need to hit the lotto....)
              Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

OK, do away with the new tail. Not sure what it needs but not that one at all. How about the original!? Next get rid of the 2 ton V block engines and radiators and install 2800-3000 hp R2800s with nice slick Czech Mate cowling and spinners with one geared for reverse rotation. I Like the slicker center pod nose and canopy! The wing is a mistake, maybe the original just needs a little clip but keeping the original profile with a fence to prevent or lessen tip vortices.

Now ......if only someone could build up a real unlimited P38 from spare parts. Hmmmmmmm, how about the Sanders brothers building up a "parts" Lightning?????

Comment

Originally posted by kenf
                  PS: The W3420 was tried in unlimited hydroplane racing without success. Does anyone out there with a hydro background have any more info on the motor?
                  That engine was only tried in one boat--the 1955 "Scooter Too", owned by Henry Kaiser (of Kaiser Aluminum) and driven by Jack Regas and Howard Gidlovinko.

First off, the engine provided a ton of horsepower to use, but the boat was a 'knock off' design, done by someone who really didn't understand the 'why's' of the boat design he was copying. The hull just could not handle all the horsepower the engine put out.

Second, there were not that many of the W3420 Allisons built in the first place, so they found parts scarce and hard to come by. And I think they only had one or two engines to play with in the first place.

And third, that engine was big, bulky, and heavy...and the 'team' boat to the "Scooter Too" was a boat named "Hawaii Kai III". It was smaller, lighter, and powered by a regular V1710 Allison (later Merlin). While "Scooter Too" and the 'big' Allison struggled to finish heats (it sank five times in it's career), the "Hawaii Kai III" was busy winning the 1957 National Championship, the 1958 Gold Cup, and setting the Worlds Straightaway Speed Record.

So given the success of the "Kai", the "Scooter Too" was quickly abandoned.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                    ...and setting the Worlds Straightaway Speed Record.
                    Speed, How fast was that, as I scampered around in diapers?
                    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Here's a brief description of the book on the Wright Tornado Tornado: Wright Aero's Last Liquid-cooled Piston Engine describes the Wright R-2160 Tornado. As the title says, this was the last liquid-cooled piston engine designed by Wright and packed 42 cylinders into an engine with a footprint similar to that of a gas turbine. Imagine six banks of seven cylinders each, built as three independant 14 cylinder modules--ie, not a single six throw crankshaft, but three two-throw segments geared together by six lay-shafts that ultimately drive the propeller reduction gearing! The engine never actually flew, but its design and development make for fascinating reading (ISBN 9710847-0-X).

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
                        Speed, How fast was that, as I scampered around in diapers?
                        Off the top of my head, it was 187 mph. Close to that.

Comment

Looks like that motor is the king of the hill on the piston area rule for making BHP!!!!!!

BMarsh

Comment

Working...
                          X