Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No Thunderbirds for Reno 2007?

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
    Pitts is easier to say. I think in casual conversation if you tell someone you have a Zlin they will avoid you for fear of catching it. When you tell someone you have a Pitts they understand, Oh Pitts, money pit, correlation.
    I agree, John.....it's like asking a stranger if they'd like to shag your balls while you practice with your fungo. They just take a step or two back....

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
      I agree, John.....it's like asking a stranger if they'd like to shag your balls while you practice with your fungo. They just take a step or two back....
      funny you should put it that way....Zlin owners are kinda quirky about that.

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
        Pitts is easier to say. I think in casual conversation if you tell someone you have a Zlin they will avoid you for fear of catching it. When you tell someone you have a Pitts they understand, Oh Pitts, money pit, correlation.
        John,
        Funny the "money pit" reference to the Pitts, especially after your long association with the Bearcat!
        Chris...

Comment

You say this as though you have asked a stranger this.

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by Chris McMillin
            John,
            Funny the "money pit" reference to the Pitts, especially after your long association with the Bearcat!
            Chris...
            Chris,
            Good to hear from you, A Bearcat is not a money pit, it is the Black hole of Calcutta! The "money pit" reference is just a joke really, That is the airplane that Lyle still has. But when you meet guys and "Bright young energetic, and intelligent women" that fly airplanes that have not been culture shocked by the expense of feeding a "Money devouring black hole" like a Bearcat, then they can relate to a Pitts as a money pit. So the "money pit" is the lesser of the evils and a heck of lot more fun as far as I'm concerned. I went up in the Pitts not long after Lyle bought it and have to say that for the bang for your buck experience it was the most fun for the least hassle. But pretty unforgiving when getting close to making it walk around on it's wheels again, in fact I just rode through that part. I think it likes flying better than taxiing. LOL
            John Slack

Comment

John,

True enough about ANY airplane being expensive.

If a guy has to have one airplane, the Pitts is a good one. Mine is a single seater, but an S-2 is a fine ride.

I guess you've started to notice these old guys of ours slowing down. Dad has a Stinson(!), and he won't work on his cars (to busy taking Mom to lunch). Both the Jag and 308 won't run! I just realized we are now about 15 years older than our parents were when we first met, yikes!

Chris...

Comment

You know, I had never considered that....but perhaps Lyle should consider entering the Pitts in the Bipe class for 2007!

Comment

You know, I had never considered that....but perhaps Lyle should consider entering the Pitts in the Bipe class for 2007!
                  Brad,
                  Bad Brad! Bad Brad! Go to the corner, just what we need another farging race plane! Bad Brad!
                  John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
                    Lyle's Pitts is a two-seater.

Biplane racers are single seaters.

...just saying....
                    Yes, perhaps for the cute, petite pilots like you. :-)

Lyle's plane is probably JUST big enough for a guy like me to fit in and race. In fact, Hacker and I were kicking around the thought of doing just that a few years ago.

The thought of me or him trying to fit in a single hole Pitts? It'd be like a monkey trying to ride a football. Or even better...the thought of Goss trying to fit into his Shoestring racer!

Comment

...just saying....
                      Dasher, You saw what we did with the Bearcat! we could sure as heck chop out a seat and make kryptonite coated, titanium plated, helium filled, carbon fiber, nuclear cover for the hole, invent some wingtip shape from the likes of planet xenon 9, fill the fuselage tubing with nitrous oxide, totally strutless wing carry through, then he wouldn't have fun with that one either anymore! Or maybe we could all bring our tools and crew for someone more petit? Give us fifteen minutes, a few unlimited mechanics can make the Bipe class overcomplicated also.

1. Definition of a Sport Biplane.
                      A Sport Biplane shall have two wings, the lower of the two having approximately 50% of the required wing area.

The top wing shall be cabane or pylon mounted, sufficiently above the fuselage to identify it as a top wing.

Let's define sufficiently, shall we?

The
                      aircraft shall have a horizontal stabilizer and rudder, both of which shall be mounted on the empennage aft of the trailing edge of the rearmost wing. The horizontal stabilizer must be of fixed incidence.

The aircraft must be of single occupancy design.

Is that original design or after some twisted monkeys with torches got to it?

In determining eligibility for competition in the Sport Biplane class, due consideration
                      will be given to the aircraft's adherence to a classic Sport Biplane configuration and appearance

Another big area of loop holes;

6. Landing Gear

1. Landing gear must be non-retractable.
                      Non retractable, but are you disqualified if they fall off after the take-off and you land on your belly skid?

2. Tires must be 5.00 x 4 or larger and must be of aircraft quality. At least two wheels of the specified type and size must be used. The third wheel may be of any size but not retractable.

Inline gear allowed?

3. Brakes are compulsory. A steerable or castor type tail wheel is mandatory.

awwww, finally something concrete but if the tailwheel diameter is less than 3/8 inch is that a problem. Belly skid brake system.
                      Last edited by BellCobraIV; 12-13-2006, 04:00 PM.
                      John Slack

Comment

...just saying....
                        Don't they go about the same speed?

Jarrod

Comment

I'm waiting for my Grrrrrr! I earned it.

4. No additives, including nitrous oxide may be used.

Oh yeah dumb rule. bad bad rule, Is Nitro Methane an additive or fuel life preservative.
                          John Slack

Comment

Dasher,
                            uh, um, where do you park your plane? um, just cuz we've been reading these rules and came up with some idears.
                            John Slack

Comment

Who's picking on you? "Bright, energetic intelligent young girl"? "Petite"?

Au Contraire! We sing your praises!

Chivalrious, manly virtues are not dead on this thread.

Until you buy a Zlin
                              Last edited by fenceliner01; 12-13-2006, 04:47 PM. Reason: dyslexic tpying

Comment

During years where there weren't very many girls flying bone stock S-1's in the biplane class, the field was often a couple short. Then S-1T's and S-2A's (both have angle valve 360's with constant speed props) were allowed as fill-in's.
                                Then some chick got Stubbs and Brown allowed the S-1T's if they had a fixed pitch prop.
                                Then they gave all of the girls single digit race numbers that were never available before...but...er, I digress.

In years where there aren't enough airplanes to fill the field, S-2's are allowed, but it'd be a stretch to allow an S-2B. It'd sure be fun to have Lyle as a PRS instructor in his S2B, though.

Chris...

Comment

Working...
                                X