Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MPH record???

Originally posted by Chris McMillin
    and the Time to Climb record days, Chris...
    The time to climb was a blast, I can remember, I think Jim Mott in the T-6, and Dwight Brooks in the Baron were flying with some kind of sealed altimeter as spotters. The Bearcat also carried some kind of sealed device for the NAA.

Cliff Putman was on the outside of the airplane with Lyle in the seat. The tail cone had been removed and what ever unit used to release a load from a large helicopter when the load goes out of control was attached to the tailhook structure. The other end was attached to a giant chunk of concrete that was at the end of the Thermal airport runway. We were all within spitting distance of the airplane. I remember being at the tip of the wing standing next to Lyle's green pick up truck. Cliff had control of the release, Lyle ran the engine up to a level that was beyond what I think has ever been done tied down before or after. Cliff released the switch on Lyle's signal and it must have been somewhere around a hundred yards later the Bear lept into the sky. 91.9 seconds later it was all done. Lyle has waited for someone to break that record for the excuse of re-breaking it, but nobody has yet. Steve Hinton has talked about breaking the record with the museums Griffon engined Spitfire before I think they could easily.

As another side note to that; When we were offered the China Lake record range to try with radar to set the 15 km record on a second for that one. The airplane was kept in the VX hangar in the non-public part of the base. It sat there beside another brand new Grumman Cat that was out there from Long Island. There was the first Tomcat I had ever seen, they weren't really at airshows yet. While the crew worked on the Bearcat the senior Grumman test engineer came over and talked with some of the guys. When he found out that we held the time to climb record he was pleased, I think from the conversation they "could" have held it too at that time (but that might have been classified). The Bearcat was his first project at Grumman and to see one fly that day had made him very happy. As a kid I remember asking him how fast the F-14 could climb. he said sorry I can't tell you. about two hours when the "NEW" Cat was ready to leave for Bethpage he came over and said "I can't tell you how fast it climbs but I can't help what you see". The engineer had arranged for the pilot to give us a private demonstration out there on the end of the China Lake facility. Burner on, wings out, rolling, nose up, wings back, gone. memories are nice.

I heard the same about the nav system, Floyd Odlum was a powerful man. Chris...
    There is an understatement, remember the time Jackie's perfume company had the crowd "cropdusted" with perfume from a B-36 I think it was at Dayton, Ohio.

I thought the Mustang was destroyed in a bail-out by another pilot. Maybe that is what is in the storage?
    Are you sure you don't know?
    I don't think it was destroyed, from the description of the condition it was disassembled for repair work on the wing and just never was put back together. as for the location............Ralph Payne and I were on a couple of treasure hunts at the time of his passing. My last talk with him in the hospital in Phoenix was a nice visit and I truly did not think it would be my last visit with him. Ralph had some interesting ideas regarding that and another airplane. We respected the fact that those airplanes we were looking for belonged in the Smithsonian, or The EAA, and not in our opinion a private collection and were looking for the planes to preserve what they were. So I have some thoughts but nothing that would make ready to go play "Aviation Indianna Jones"
    Chris...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the memory jog Chris.
    John....
    Your serve
    John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
      My last talk with him in the hospital in Phoenix was a nice visit and I truly did not think it would be my last visit with him.
      I don't think anyone did, John. To talk to HIM about it, he was ready to go home. Maybe it was just a different 'home' he was ready for.

Comment

Wow, another incredible post by John Slack, this time on the time-to-climb record. Thanks, John!!!

What was the Bear's climb-angle like on the record-setting run?
        _________
        -Matt
        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
          I don't think anyone did, John. To talk to HIM about it, he was ready to go home. Maybe it was just a different 'home' he was ready for.
          Speed,
          I really enjoyed that visit, as well about three weeks before, Dwight and I had a four hour or more phone call with Ralph from the shop one night after work. The most fun about conversation was listening to it! Dwight and Ralph went back to talking about the boats. Then they went to airplanes, then cars, then Ralph's adventures with guys named Foyt, Levitz, and how he met the love of his life while looking at a Mustang for the CAF.

Did you get my phone number off the PM I sent you?
          John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
            What was the Bear's climb-angle like on the record-setting run?
            Matt,
            Lyle had some black lines drawn on the canopy, to use for a guide as to angle during the attempt. I'll ask him if he remembers what the angles were. There were three to four lines dependent on where he was in the climb.
            John Slack

Comment

and how he met the love of his life while looking at a Mustang for the CAF.
              I'll give you a call this weekend.

You know what was funny....that was to hear Ralph tell the story....and then hear NORMA'S version of how it REALLY happened! :-)

Comment

Matt,
                Lyle had some black lines drawn on the canopy, to use for a guide as to angle during the attempt. I'll ask him if he remembers what the angles were. There were three to four lines dependent on where he was in the climb.
                Thanks John. That (lines drawn on the canopy) is an even-cooler answer than I expected!
                _________
                -Matt
                Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

John,

The really neat things about the Time to Climb record were just what you said, being there on the runway with the airplane wide open, Cliff letting the switch go and Lyle hammering down the runway. I remember that he told us he would accelerate to 160 kts and just raise the nose to hold that airspeed. It looked like a car going down the freeway, except straight up!

I was standing on the south side of the runway when he made that early morning test flight and landed with one brake, and I was using the movie camera. I was so worried he wouldn't stop that I quit shooting and missed filming the worlds greatest controlled ground loop!

I remember Jim and Dwight in the T-6 with the altimeter! Did Dwight pass away?

Interesting about the Cochran Mustang, the things I don't know.

I wasn't able to go to the China Lake thing (obviously) so you were in the inner circle there, man. And to think the things are retired now!

Hanging out at some of the test flights at Inyo-Kern with Tony Bernard, Pete Behenna, Bill and his brother were a lot of fun. I guess we were kind of into it, though.

Do you remember us wiping down the Bearcat at Torrance one time and your Mom getting angry because you got your nice clothes dirty? Our looks to one another were perfect for the age group. What do clothes matter, were workin' on airplanes.

Funny, and your welcome for the trip back,
                  Chris...

Comment

John,

Hanging out at some of the test flights at Inyo-Kern with Tony Bernard, Pete Behenna, Bill and his brother were a lot of fun. I guess we were kind of into it, though.

Funny, and your welcome for the trip back,
                    Chris...
                    Chris,
                    There are probably five more posts, that could be made on the Inyokern test flights, I remember starting Lyle up on the runway one time and he was just going to go out and fly a test flight. We were a little slow in getting off the runway and were watching him go kinda steep on his climb out, when we realized he was going inverted, he did one half of a cuban eight and made a fifty foot strafing pass on us as he came back down the runway. We were running everywhich way. You could always tell when he was happy with the plane in those days.

Yes, Dwight Brooks has cleered the chocks, and gone on.

Torrance! Yeah I remember Torrance, I was wearing the good clothes so I could go flying with Hoover. once the clothes were dirty that was the end of that movie. I never did get to fly with R. A. Bob.

Ah, sometime we should do a post called "rental cars", Then Marc Wier could post.
                    John Slack

Comment

Hey, whatever became of the Lysander?

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                        Hey, whatever became of the Lysander?
                        On display in the NASM's new Udvar-Hazy facility in Washington DC.

Comment

Chris,
                          There are probably five more posts, that could be made on the Inyokern test flights, I remember starting Lyle up on the runway one time and he was just going to go out and fly a test flight. We were a little slow in getting off the runway and were watching him go kinda steep on his climb out, when we realized he was going inverted, he did one half of a cuban eight and made a fifty foot strafing pass on us as he came back down the runway. We were running everywhich way. You could always tell when he was happy with the plane in those days.

Cool. I bet that was a neat sight.

Too bad, he was a real nice person. He had a beautiful Stinson Reliant at merced the first time I met him. The interior was this gorgeous wood and leather and he had a hidden tape deck playing as the judges did their thing. Classy I thought. It's kind of a seventies thing I guess.

Torrance! Yeah I remember Torrance, I was wearing the good clothes so I could go flying with Hoover. once the clothes were dirty that was the end of that movie. I never did get to fly with R. A. Bob.

Too bad. You did get to ride in the P-38 with Lefty, though. Lucky stiff.

Ah, sometime we should do a post called "rental cars", Then Marc Wier could post.

Rental cars, can we still be held liable?

Chris...

Comment

Chris,
                            There are probably five more posts, that could be made on the Inyokern test flights,
                            Feel free! I don't know about anyone else but I am just drooling over this great stuff being posted. Thanks for sharing guys.

Jarrod

Comment

This is one of the best threads ever! Thanks...

Do
                              Don

Hauler Driver Looking for a Hauler to Drive ..
                              Any Race Team Need One?

Comment

John I remember you diving to the ground head first when Lyle flew over, I was allready on the ground when you hit. We were totally amazed how the hair on our arms got sucked out and put back in when he went over.

I looked for the pics I took but couldnt find them, I think Art Hickle has them......Tom

QUOTE=BellCobraIV]Chris,

Ah, sometime we should do a post called "rental cars", Then Marc Wier could post.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                                X