Stress/fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stress/fatigue

Not meant to sound negative just want to protect the innocent from others that might misinterpret the information given. My being at Reno as a race pilot in 2005 and 2006 had nothing to do with my post. I had the T-34 spar internet issue in the back of my mind when I was typing. Have a nice day!
    Will Whiteside

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
      Man, I'll tell you...it's rough being a genious sometimes.
      Sorry

Jarrod

Comment

No point in bashing Will... I totally understand his point on this. We all worry, heck, some of us have nightmares about waking up one day and finding that the powers that be have decided (can you say "knee jerk") that no airplane older than xx years can EVER be flown.

Overnight, 1000's of people's investments, and the love's of their lives are anchored to the ground and rendered virtually worthless...

Most of these warbirds are more airworthy than many newer airplanes, are cared for and inspected more frequently and regularly than many MUCH newer airplanes. Further, they have some of the best mechanics and engineers on the planet working on them in a way that nobody could afford to have done, since most, if not all of the work done on the racers is volunteer based...

So...

I don't think Will's spewing anything....

Ease up guys... let's not have us "knee jerking" when someone posts a valid comment.. OK??

Thanks in advance..

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
          1) During the last decade we've had a/c go down during the races
          What unlimited has gone down due to structural failure? And don't say MAII, because that was not a warbird.............. it just looked like one.

Comment

What kind of missiles?

Jarrod

Comment

Woooooooooow..........My question was NOT meant to be negative at all. It's something that I've heard others talk about, and I've been curious. Whiteside......I think you should go back and re read my question.......I have,.......and I don't see it being negative or Gibberish........just something I was curious about. There isn't anyone that wants to see Reno and Air Racing continue and grow in the future more then me. My first trip to Reno was in the 60's.......ask anyone that knows me, I always speak positive about the races.............. don't worry Whiteside......I'll still pull for your plane and team, I love Air Racing.
              Brian

Comment

Supercub, dont even mention it. It's true, my post was in contrary to what this forum is about and that is the exchange of info related to all things airplane. My post should have read, "Keep in mind that the FAA and policymakers read this forum also.............etc." once again just a knee jerk reaction to the Web-Based assault that the T34 guys went through or are going through.
                In regards to your question: The P-51 VNE is 505 MPH. In the Bronze and tail-end silver races I was in we saw indicated speeds of about 315 Kts coming down the chute. Thats about 360 MPH which is well below the P51 Vne. The G limit on the airplane at that speed is 8 G's. Although I have instantaneous G at reno of about 5, I have not seen any more than about 3 for any greater period of time. This is all referring to non-rolling G's.
                Our Yak has a Vne of 400 KIAS. Thats 460 MPH indicated. I sure would love to see that around the course in something! Hopefully someday

Comment

Here are some numbers to back up what Will just said:

VNE on the mustang 437 KIAS (Knots indicated airspeed)

For a 500 mph lap at reno:
                  Temperature makes a big difference, here are a few examples:

5500 feet, 29 degrees C, 385 Knots indicated
                  gives a true of 436 knots true airspeed, which is 501.4 Miles per hour.

If the temperature drops down to 10 degrees for the same indicated we get a True of only 422 Knots, or 485.3 mph

Comment

2-3 outside maybe 4 g's are the most you should see in smooth air. If you see 6 its because you have been in traffic and had some bumps along the way. Gust loads being what they may you can see up to 8-9 on the g-meter after a bumpy ride. In regards to the comment about airspeed and airframe stress limitations of course racing is hard on planes. Many of the aircraft racing have had their wings and fuselage structures built new over the years. There are not too many aircraft out there racing on their old skins. Should there be a concern? Its racing and concern is always on the table. How do you make Unlimited racing perfectly safe? You don't that's why they call it racing. I'll take my chances on the race course bending one around a pylon over driving my car to work anytime. Our safety record at Reno speaks for its self.

Matt J

Comment

Well said Matt,its more white knuckle driving back & forth to the races. Hope to see you flying next year in the unlimiteds.
                      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Most dangerous part of flying?? The drive to the airport! I read an article once where supposedly a university did research and actually proved this out.
                        Brian

Comment

Working...
                        X