www.renosection3.com

Comment

Re: Sundays Unlimited Gold Race photos

The Witch!

http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
      http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Just to be sure we're comparing apples to apples, Strega's 486 was using the old timing chart. The same lap on today's chart is a tick over 500.

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
          Did anybody get any individual lap speeds on 232 this year to find out the highest lap speed?
          First lap was the fastest in the mid 490's. Down the chute was well over 500mph.

Michael

Comment

From where I was standing Sunday they were flying lowwwwwwwww! Hey Vic, what was that about the women on your planet? And when is the next exploration back? It was good to see the many photographers out on the pylons. There are certainly worst ways to spend your days.

Dave
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
              Let's be real, people. Strega is a much faster plane than 232.
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Let's be real, people. Strega is a much faster plane than 232.
                I have to agree. Recalling Dago's dominating 5-year run, Dago and Strega are in a class of their own -- as long as they have the power on. Voodoo is there too, with a race canopy. One of our box mates was talking to Skip Holm and Skip says that Strega has the fastest airframe at Reno. I don't have the numbers at hand, but the Mustangs, I believe, have a better power-to-weight ratio, again, assuming a healthy engine. Then, there's that fast Mustang wing...

I still hope for the all-time smack-down race where 232, Strega, Dago and the Bear are all healthy. Heck, bring on Galloping Ghost, American Spirit and Skockwave, too! Imagine THAT pack rounding pylon 8 from the start lap!

Anybody excitied?
                Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
                  I'm probably not going to be popular by saying so, but I think that 232 was a faster plane this year and is the one to beat. Dago had it's time with a crew and pilot that just clicked and Strega has had her good days as well. According to the race results at her best Strega was only up to 486mph average. 232 finished with a reported backing down of the throttles at 481+ mph. So I'd have to say that no, Strega isn't a much faster plane.

Did anybody get any individual lap speeds on 232 this year to find out the highest lap speed?
                  We know 232 has a set of clipped wings that haven't yet been installed, so she'll go even faster, but Strega is the faster airplane, at least for now. The closure rate between 7 and 232 in the first 3 laps proved that beyond a doubt, IMHO. MB ran 232 very hard for the entire race... his 3350 was working so hard it began (at moments) to sound like a V12... it was surreal.
                  _________
                  -Matt
                  Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

To quote Tiger when asked during the victory celebration why he pulled out "It was running like dog sh*t." He also made specific reference to next year. Let's hope this wasn't his last race.

Pantboy, great shot of Spirit over the hill top.

Victor, Thank you as ever for the awesome shots. I have a couple photos of Rare Bear making smoke before the pop. I'll try and post them tonight.
                    No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                    http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

MB ran 232 very hard for the entire race... his 3350 was working so hard it began (at moments) to sound like a V12... it was surreal.
                      Funny, I was thinking the same thing...about two laps into the final, when MB came past the home pylon, I thought the darn thing sounded like a Merlin..weird, but cooooool
                      Mark Johnson
                      Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan
                        Funny, I was thinking the same thing...about two laps into the final, when MB came past the home pylon, I thought the darn thing sounded like a Merlin..weird, but cooooool
                        I've noticed that photos taken at race speed and power on 232 and Dreadnought show the prop blades practially in the feathered position. Its taking all the "bite" that the prop can muster to keep the engine RPM constant- that's a LOT of torque and that prop is just pounding the air! There's one of Victor's "no prop circle" photos where one blade is tip-on toward the camera, and the steep angle of the prop pitch is very clear:

Comment

Sorry I've taken so long to get to reviewing my images. I had a bit of a power crisis in the RV lot and needed to save all my battery power for clearing off my CF cards and burning disks. It's taken me till this weekend to really catch up.

Here's a couple more from Sunday's final:

Down the chute and Tiger's already jumping well out of line.

Just onto the back turn still on the pace lap, Tiger's flying high already into 3rd.

This is well into the race, MB was still well in control, but Tiger was hunting him down.

So here's the downside about being in the stands. You only get shots of the bottom of the airplanes during the races. So tell me: is there room for improvement smoothing down the bottom of the wing, or is this just the airflow pulling on the skin?

Congrats to Mike Brown and Team September Pops for the great effort, and to all the race teams for the wonderful week of racing.

Cheers
                          Gerry

Comment

According to the team they will have all new wings next year.

Comment

[QUOTE=Peashooter]I have to agree. Recalling Dago's dominating 5-year run, Dago and Strega are in a class of their own -- as long as they have the power on. Voodoo is there too, with a race canopy. One of our box mates was talking to Skip Holm and Skip says that Strega has the fastest airframe at Reno. I don't have the numbers at hand, but the Mustangs, I believe, have a better power-to-weight ratio, again, assuming a healthy engine. Then, there's that fast Mustang wing...

Yeah,
                              Except the time when he was testing Voodoo and said Voodoo was the slickest airframe at Reno. I think they are the slickest when you are flying them.
                              Chris...

Comment

Yaaaa know people.......... lets just have a website that just has pictures and sounds.

Its sooo much more peacefull than all these issues, egos, speeches, et al that seem to flare up during the late september close.

Pixles and sound.wavs.....

BM

Comment

Working...
                                X